PG is safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

minio

Sep 13, 2008
I have just found article "Preclinical safety evaluation of inhaled cyclosporine in propylene glycol." (i have not enough post to give a link here :( )
I am not able to get the full text, but the second sentence from the end of abstract is interesting for us:
There were no respiratory or systemic effects of high doses of propylene glycol relative to air controls
The important thing is that in this case they made rats to inhale PG like we do :)

I have just found article "Preclinical safety evaluation of inhaled cyclosporine in propylene glycol." (i have not enough post to give a link here :( )
I am not able to get the full text, but the second sentence from the end of abstract is interesting for us:
The important thing is that in this case they made rats to inhale PG like we do :)

Here is the linked source of this document:

Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Inhaled Cyclosporine in Propylene Glycol

Here is the full text article which puts it into context:
Titre du document / Document title

Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Inhaled Cyclosporine in Propylene Glycol
Auteur(s) / Author(s)

TAO WANG (1) ; NOONBERG Sarah (1) ; STEIGERWALT Ronald (1) ; LYNCH Maryellen (2) ; KOVELESKY Rosemary A. (1) ; RODRIGUEZ Carlos A. (1) ; SPRUGEL Katherine (1) ; TURNER Nancy (1) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)

(1) Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Safety Profiling and Assessment, Emeryville, California, ETATS-UNIS
(2) Battelle, Toxicology Battelle Columbus, Columbus, Ohio, ETATS-UNIS

Résumé / Abstract

Cyclosporine inhalation solution has the potential to improve outcomes following lung transplantation by delivering high concentrations of an immunosuppressant directly to the allograft while minimizing systemic drug exposure and associated toxicity. The objective of these studies was to evaluate the potential toxicity of aerosolized cyclosporine formulated in propylene glycol when given by inhalation route to rats and dogs for 28 days. Sprague-Dawley rats received total inhaled doses of 0 (air), 0 (vehicle, propylene glycol), 7.4, 24.3, and 53.9 mg cyclosporine/kg/day. In a separate study, beagle dogs were exposed to 0, 4.4, 7.7, and 9.7 mg cyclosporine/kg/day. Endpoints used to evaluate potential toxicity of inhaled cyclosporine were clinical observations, body weight, food consumption, respiratory functions, toxicokinetics, and clinical/anatomic pathology. Daily administration of aerosolized cyclosporine did not result in observable accumulation of cyclosporine in blood or lung tissue. Toxicokinetic analysis from the rat study showed that the exposure of cyclosporine was approximately 18 times higher in the lung tissue compared to the blood. Systemic effects were consistent with those known for cyclosporine. There was no unexpected systemic toxicity or clinically limiting local respiratory toxicity associated with inhalation exposure to cyclosporine inhalation solution at exposures up to 2.7 times the maximum human exposure in either rats or dogs. There were no respiratory or systemic effects of high doses of propylene glycol relative to air controls. These preclinical studies demonstrate the safety of aerosolized cyclosporine in propylene glycol and support its continued clinical investigation in patients undergoing allogeneic lung transplantation.
Revue / Journal Title

Journal of aerosol medicine ISSN 0894-2684 CODEN JAEMEP
Source / Source

2007, vol. 20, no4, pp. 417-428 [12 page(s) (article)] (25 ref.)
Langue / Language

Anglais

Editeur / Publisher

Liebert, Larchmont, NY, ETATS-UNIS (1988-2007) (Revue)

Mots-clés anglais / English Keywords

Pharmaceutical technology ; Aerosols ; Propanediol ; Immunosuppressive agent ; Ciclosporin ; Inhalation ; Evaluation ; Safety ; Toxicity ; Preclinical trial ;
Mots-clés français / French Keywords

Inhibiteur de la calcineurine ; Technologie pharmaceutique ; Aérosol ; Propanediol ; Immunodépresseur ; Ciclosporine ; Inhalation ; Evaluation ; Sécurité ; Toxicité ; Essai préclinique ;
Mots-clés espagnols / Spanish Keywords

Tecnología farmacéutica ; Aerosol ; Propanodiol ; Inmunodepresor ; Ciclosporina ; Inhalación ; Evaluación ; Seguridad ; Toxicidad ; Ensayo preclínico ;
Mots-clés d'auteur / Author Keywords

aerosolized cyclosporine ; preclinical evaluation ; propylene glycol ; toxicity ;
Localisation / Location

INIST-CNRS, Cote INIST : 21577, 35400016270820.0030

MrFog

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Midlands UK
thanks. at the moment im back on marlboro light, and ill see if the cold-like symptoms dissapear.

If I was to get a non-pg liqud, what would it contain? the vegtable version? ive heard this has its negative effects too. its so confusing, isnt it! I wish I just knew if it was safe, one way or the other!

Did you not consider that your cold was caused by stopping regular cigarettes? That is very common. Don't go back to dirty cigs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread