RDA In the Pursuit of Flavor - RDAs that build on the Magma design

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolercoiler

Dec 5, 2014
uk
I use fasttech to try all the new rdas and buy a real one if i like it, the n22 is in the mail already. The freakshow looks good too , nearly got one from my local last time i was there. Very impressed with my tugboat v2 for flavour , simple and with non of the flavour enhancing characteristics of others ( small chamber, air holes below, etc)
but it works really well.
Veritas is also one of my best flavour producers, never had a problem building on it myself but i enjoy the fiddly stuff.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
They don't build on the Magma design, and in fact are just the opposite, but a couple of newer designs that might be worth checking out are the Rogue and the Manta. The Rogue has top air feed and therefore should be very leak resistant. When I first looked at it, I though it would vape harsh because of the air coming in over top the coil, but evidently I was wrong and it's supposed to have good flavor.

The Manta has air coming coming from the top but comes down a tube in the outer cover to a slot beside the coil. It's also very leak resistant and supposed to have good flavor.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
They don't build on the Magma design, and in fact are just the opposite, but a couple of newer designs that might be worth checking out are the Rogue and the Manta. The Rogue has top air feed and therefore should be very leak resistant. When I first looked at it, I though it would vape harsh because of the air coming in over top the coil, but evidently I was wrong and it's supposed to have good flavor.

The Manta has air coming coming from the top but comes down a tube in the outer cover to a slot beside the coil. It's also very leak resistant and supposed to have good flavor.

There are more and more of the top air feeds coming out.

That manta looks real interesting.

2013604-4.jpg

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Woofer - just got my Holmes yesterday. Way better than Magma. Well is even deeper, it has an adjustable airflow which is more airy, and I got no leaking compared to my Magma. And it came with .6 micro coils that worked really well with rayon. Highly recommend it, especially given the price

Excellent news! Thank so much for posting cjpeltz. :)

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Mentioned sometime back I was getting an Achilles clone.
Per the few reviews overall not bad. Great flavor, weak on the vapor. Nothing earth shattering but it'll do.

Next up for me to try in this style of RDA would be the Manta I think. Todd's review made it look promising.

Last edited:
SXK RDA:

Review: SXK SK RDA - Imgur
ECR thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...albumreview_of_sxks_new_original_product_the/

$25 at Origin Vape: https://originvape.com/product/sxk-rda/
$18.72 at Fasttech: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1978200

Overall it looks like an innovative leakproof design that will appeal to flavour chasers, but won't keep up with high wattage builds.

Pluses: Excellent flavour, decent build quality, innovative virtually leak-proof design, decent juice capacity, very reasonable price.
Minuses: Small build deck, limited airflow, tiny grub screws, only dual coil airflow supported, poor heat dissipation, you need to remove the top cap to drip.

friediceman

Verified Member
Oct 15, 2014
Indiana, USA
I got the rogue from vapordna and the Manta from vaperoo.

With Manta I can see the air actually comes in between the sleeve and outer wall, which makes sense for better flavor. The Rogue, on the other hand, looks like the air comes in from the top, doesn't it get sucked right out of the drip tip without travelling to the coils? Or is it because the small chamber size the air actually do move across the coil and aid the flavor production?

jluc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Colorado
With Manta I can see the air actually comes in between the sleeve and outer wall, which makes sense for better flavor. The Rogue, on the other hand, looks like the air comes in from the top, doesn't it get sucked right out of the drip tip without travelling to the coils? Or is it because the small chamber size the air actually do move across the coil and aid the flavor production?
You are right about both rda's. With the rogue I have the coils set high, close to the top cap.

flippant

Dec 14, 2014
An Island
Had my Holmes for about 24 hours and I'm nothing but impressed.

It's essentially leak-proof, holds an obscene amount of juice (super roomy well), handles high wattages just fine (air-flow is really free and easy), build quality is more than good enough for the bargain price it carries, and flavor is exceptional. The only thing it doesn't do is offer a tight draw, so it's pretty much for lung-hitters only. As well, it's a bit tall, but the heat-fins on top are actually quite effective (no real problems with metal tips heating up, and I'm usually a stickler for delrin tips since I hate burning my lips), so I don't feel like it's wasted space.

The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is it being a dual coil rig. Rigging a single coil in the center just mutes your flavor and screws up your throat hit.:/
Still, I can live with it and I'd say, especially considering its price, that this thing deserves a spot in every flavor hound's arsenal.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
Agree with you, flippant. I have had my Holmes for the last couple of days. The juice wells are ENORMOUS, and I'm still surprised that I haven't gotten even one tiny leak yet. And the flavor is just amazing -- better than the Magma, IMO. I actually like the draw better -- in particular, being able to adjust it by hand without having to unscrew the cap which was a real pain with the Magma. I am only using single coils and I haven't noticed an issue on the flavor.

Overall, it's a keeper for me. I am not all day day dripper, but it's my go-to when I get bored of the tanks throughout the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread