Indoor Air Pollution Dwarfs Outdoor Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
This study has a lot of food for thought. They measured indoor air pollution during the cooking of a Thanksgiving dinner as they would have measured outdoor air.

"By around eleven o’clock, the fine-particulate concentration had risen to such a level that, if the house were a city, it would have been officially labelled polluted.... And, for nearly an hour, fine particulate matter was within the range that the Environmental Protection Agency’s Air Quality Index defines as 'very unhealthy.'"

Delphine Farmer:
"It was very clear that it was an area that was ripe for study, and that the indoor community just hadn’t had the resources we have in outdoor atmospheric chemistry."

"One of the scientists, Lea Hildebrandt Ruiz, said that conditions inside the house had briefly exceeded those of the world’s most polluted city—'and I can say that,' she added, 'because I have a monitoring program in New Delhi.'"

They point out that, while their findings of supposed health risks from particulates are based on readings of outdoor air, people actually spend 90% of their time indoors.

The Hidden Air Pollution in Our Homes

(In my view, their supposed health risks are nonsense anyway because they ignored the role of influenza virus.)

Temperature, Not Fine Particulate Matter (PM2.5), is Causally Associated with Short-Term Acute Daily Mortality Rates
Temperature, Not Fine Particulate Matter (PM2.5), is Causally Associated with Short-Term Acute Daily Mortality Rates: Results from One Hundred United States Cities

"the winter increase in US mortality is singular and probably influenza." Weather affects timing and magnitude Influenza and the Winter Increase in Mortality in the United States, 1959–1999

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Very interesting.

And yet, here we all are. Etc.

Guess you want a leaky house with a lot of windows to open and the right temperature to do it. LOL I am there.

Plus, I do not roast Turkeys I suspend them (outside) in a vat of deep fat fryer oil because they are DELICIOUS and also, could catch fire any minute hence... Outside.

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Very interesting.

And yet, here we all are. Etc.

Guess you want a leaky house with a lot of windows to open and the right temperature to do it. LOL I am there.

Plus, I do not roast Turkeys I suspend them (outside) in a vat of deep fat fryer oil because they are DELICIOUS and also, could catch fire any minute hence... Outside.

Anna
My landlord got into some federal program with funding for energy conservation stuff. First, they sealed up all the cracks. Then, they measured the air flow and decided it was too low. So they installed a timer on the bathroom vent fan to make it run about half the time, whether you want it on or not. Grrrrrr! And talk about stupid - they actually caused the problem, then had to apply an energy-wasting fix to it!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are just so few like, times when the term "landlord" is used favorably. It's gotta be like you must have to be a certain type of person to do it, like a certain type of personality.

I mean, we are NOT renting my house. The very IDEA of having to maintain inhabitants that I am not related to and might also HATE DEEPLY and that I am not ALSO related to fills me with fear.

Also, I'm quite sure I'd be a terrible landlord, always yelling at people and threatening them and whatnot. That is SO not going to happen, fortunately he appears to agree.

Owning property that some STRANGERS squat in, even if they are "supposed" to pay you money buy you have to fix the dang dishwasher every time it clogs. That holds no appeal whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure your landlord is the suck and you are a great tenant. I'm just saying I would HATE me as a landlord. A lot. It's not a role I can adequately perform.

Heal your (mentally ill or wolf like) children, yeah, got a shot at that. But renting?OH GOD.

Anan

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
There are just so few like, times when the term "landlord" is used favorably. It's gotta be like you must have to be a certain type of person to do it, like a certain type of personality.

I mean, we are NOT renting my house. The very IDEA of having to maintain inhabitants that I am not related to and might also HATE DEEPLY and that I am not ALSO related to fills me with fear.

Also, I'm quite sure I'd be a terrible landlord, always yelling at people and threatening them and whatnot. That is SO not going to happen, fortunately he appears to agree.

Owning property that some STRANGERS squat in, even if they are "supposed" to pay you money buy you have to fix the dang dishwasher every time it clogs. That holds no appeal whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure your landlord is the suck and you are a great tenant. I'm just saying I would HATE me as a landlord. A lot. It's not a role I can adequately perform.

Heal your (mentally ill or wolf like) children, yeah, got a shot at that. But renting?OH GOD.

Anan
He was understanding when I was laid off and broke back in '08. I'm sure that no corporate entity would have been so patient. (He has a weird sense of humor you have to watch out for though. Once he signaled me to keep backing up my car until I ran over a bag of garbage, then he laughed his .... off.)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If he made you clean it up and/or did not pay to wash your car, that is not "a weird sense of humor." It is something else and if any other landlord did that to me, I might consider some type of suit.

The worst thing my Sierra Landlord did to me was give out (they had these like, MORALE boosters and they NEEDED them) well they hung a bag of candy and some useless knickknacks from my door on Valentine's day.

The candy was like that globby gooey stuff in the shape of hearts. UNWRAPPED. It looked OLD. I tossed it immediately. I quickly learned to FEAR those months, although tenant appreciation month we won some sort of Android watch type device. I made the husband go get it because they wanted to take celebratory pictures. I was like "No not of ME you won't."

I have not opened it to see if it's a Mexican knockoff of some sort as frankly I'm the last person on EARTH who should own an android watch.

But the CANDY:lol::lol::lol:

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Are you kidding? A lawsuit over tossing a couple pieces of trash into the nearby dumpster? Or wash my rusty old beater? ROFL.

We get high-quality chocolates at Christmas.

If he made you clean it up and/or did not pay to wash your car, that is not "a weird sense of humor." It is something else and if any other landlord did that to me, I might consider some type of suit.

The worst thing my Sierra Landlord did to me was give out (they had these like, MORALE boosters and they NEEDED them) well they hung a bag of candy and some useless knickknacks from my door on Valentine's day.

The candy was like that globby gooey stuff in the shape of hearts. UNWRAPPED. It looked OLD. I tossed it immediately. I quickly learned to FEAR those months, although tenant appreciation month we won some sort of Android watch type device. I made the husband go get it because they wanted to take celebratory pictures. I was like "No not of ME you won't."

I have not opened it to see if it's a Mexican knockoff of some sort as frankly I'm the last person on EARTH who should own an android watch.

But the CANDY:lol::lol::lol:

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK I guess I feel differently about my life. I don't particularly like dealing with MY garbage let alone strangers. I most certainly would NOT have toted it to the dumpster myself, or felt at all pleased that like, I had to "wash my rusty beater."

Seriously, I would be wondering if the next step would be the landlord trying to pimp me out.

I can't decide if that makes me highbrow, stuck up or it's just I have this really awesome husband who does most of that stuff FOR ME?

Some other dude actively causing it would give me conniptions.

This is why I wish to be neither a landlord nor a tenant as soon as possible. Although ours were nice, they came and told us all that they would fix. walked the place, and gave us the keys.

They did not throw trash at us and consider it humorous. But OKAY.

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Happy news. The author of the study linking mortality with temperature rather than particulates, Tony Cox, is now Chairman of the EPA Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee. Scott Pruitt appointed him, and also disbanded the advisory panel for PM 2.5.

The anti-particulates lobby is whining in the NY Times. Needless to say, they don't admit that there are any scientific issues involved.
Opinion | Don’t Let a Killer Pollutant Loose

I'm so glad that Cox is there. If anybody can set things right, he seems most capable. I hope he'll extend the inquiry into causation all the way to influenza, where it belongs.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Here's some more background on how those EPA air quality standards came to be. They really are the product of conspiracy by politically powerful cronies and the American Lung Association.

United States Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works Minority Staff Report
EPA’s Playbook Unveiled: A Story of Fraud, Deceit, and Secret Science
March 19, 2014
https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/_...b37-8810-32fa21b6e6bd/epaplaybookunveiled.pdf

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The term "Home smog" just makes me want to, IDK, die.

We just monitor too many things... And badly at that. Remember when microwaves were gonna kill us all and like, drain the nutrients from all our food.

My dad said (as a kid) that they were looking at using microwaves to heat buildings but due to the function of the microwave everyone would have to be naked.

It sounds kind of nuts to me now, but my dad also had a habit of making up "tales of science!" of that sort. He was a pretty good scientist (vice president of the company that used gene therapy to cure the bubble kids, the first successful gene therapy experiment) but he also did not like to take science TOO seriously.

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The term "Home smog" just makes me want to, IDK, die.

We just monitor too many things... And badly at that. Remember when microwaves were gonna kill us all and like, drain the nutrients from all our food.

My dad said (as a kid) that they were looking at using microwaves to heat buildings but due to the function of the microwave everyone would have to be naked.

It sounds kind of nuts to me now, but my dad also had a habit of making up "tales of science!" of that sort. He was a pretty good scientist (vice president of the company that used gene therapy to cure the bubble kids, the first successful gene therapy experiment) but he also did not like to take science TOO seriously.

Anna
My burritos heat just fine between two paper plates, so I don't see why nakedness would be necessary for heating effects of microwaves. Also water does fine in styrofoam or paper cups.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
My burritos heat just fine between two paper plates, so I don't see why nakedness would be necessary for heating effects of microwaves. Also water does fine in styrofoam or paper cups.
Maybe I should dress up the burritos in doll clothes for an "experiment," and put a picture on the internet. It wouldn't be any stupider than what's already out there!

• Agree

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My house is pretty drafty. Even Eskimoes wear a jacket at my house in winter.

My buddy has a house that is so sealed a fresh air fan is programmed to turn on 4 times a day to refresh the oxygen level.

Guess which house has more allergy attacks, colds and flu each year? Not mine.
You mean Grandma was wrong when she said those drafts would make you catch a cold?

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread