Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I'm glad we're somewhat on the subject of batts.

I have a couple of questions for the battmasters.

So, without MUCH knowledge of batt types and subsequent maintenance arrangements... The batts in the iTazte V3s are Lipo. What, if any, do you all think are the best methods of batt maintenance should one decide to store them in long term vapecopalyse storage?

I have read and read. My brain now swims in battery tech lingo and ideas. For the most part, I'm sitting in the camp of "take them out at least once a month and charge them".

If I were to just store them (how long???? dunno), without charging them, would I find an unusable device? Would I jeapordize my home's safety?

Thoughts and ideas, please.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
LiPO batteries are best stored at 75-90 percent charged. They should be checked, yearly, and "exercising" them with a discharge/recharge cycle can't gut them. At least that's what I have read although I have no direct experience...all of mine, 18650s and multi-cell LiPO packs, are in daily rotation.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
I am running my VV3's in rotation.

I use 4 per day. Start with 2 fully charged to get me through the day and have 2 more for evening use that get charged every other day. I rotate them every week and store them at about 3.7-3.8 volts.

Is this the best way to prolong them?

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
I have read and read. My brain now swims in battery tech lingo and ideas. For the most part, I'm sitting in the camp of "take them out at least once a month and charge them".

My brain is also swimming with all the contradictory information I've read, Kat. I finally just decided to rotate all my internal battery mods until they decide to die. Then I'll get out my removable battery mods and use them (hopefully many years down the road).

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
from LOTS of reading over time, this is what I believe and what I practice YMMV

the way I read about the Li-Ion batteries
they don’t like to be stable, they like to be active…
so discharging and charging keeps them young and fresh
the battery life is going to deplete with time as much as with use,
so being ‘idle’ is close to as bad as using said battery…

also the old query: " is it safe to leave my battery on the charge ? "
well; on-board electronics will keep most safe,
but to ‘hold’ a Li-Ion up against a wall (full charge) means the Li-Ion won’t be
allowed to discharge which, for whatever reason, creates some chemical reaction
that depletes Li-Ion (reducing life)

(final saturation of charging puts stress on the battery)

then the charge process: charge up to max Volt, but not to allow Full Saturation

Li-Ion does not need to be fully charged, nor is it desirable to do so...
in fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltage stresses the battery
every reduction of 0.10v% (charging) is said to double life cycle of battery
-charging the li-ion cell to 4.2v expect 300-500 discharge cycles
-charging the li-ion cell to 4.1v expect 600-1000 discharge cycles
so, charging the battery to 4.1v (not full 4.2v) will double the life of your battery

this is just what I've pieced together in my little mind...
Right /Wrong - I don't know, just what has been working for me
(I don't really believe everything I read on the internet)

:w00t: :blink: :lol:

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
My brain is also swimming with all the contradictory information I've read, Kat. I finally just decided to rotate all my internal battery mods until they decide to die. Then I'll get out my removable battery mods and use them (hopefully many years down the road).
That's what I am doing, for the same reason!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I am running my VV3's in rotation.

I use 4 per day. Start with 2 fully charged to get me through the day and have 2 more for evening use that get charged every other day. I rotate them every week and store them at about 3.7-3.8 volts.

Is this the best way to prolong them?

If they're in frequent rotation, "storage" isn't a factor. But that's a good voltage level for storage :)

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR

I bought 3 of them a couple months back when someone had them on sale really cheap like that. Normally, I only see them on sites at $50+. I like mine a lot, but for a lot of people the downside is that it's just a 20W mod, it's a tube, and it's heavy. None of those things are an issue to me, as I'm a tootle puffer and I kinda like having a few tube mods. It really feels indestructible, so I think it's a great one for the vapocalypse stash.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Likewise, have 2 SVD2, black and silver. And they do feel "indestructible", really solid.

And good for Christmas shopping, to get through the crowds! :lol:

I was thinking they're good when you have to go in a dark alley. :evil:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

Yea, pretty sure I paid under 20 domestically. I like it and it does what it does. I use it as my late night stroll vape, the thing is big and heavy enough to be registered as a deadly weapon. I don't use it much and it is defiantly a coffee table vape and not a daily carry. I tend to knock the thing over a lot. It has a nice long 20 second cut off.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

Great find. Also Fasttech has a coupon code XMAS for 10% off. I have also had better shipping speed selecting USPS expedited battery shipping which in this case is .18 cents more. The total comes to $18.36 complete. They must have an overload of black since the silver are more than double the price.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Yea, pretty sure I paid under 20 domestically. I like it and it does what it does.. , the thing is big and heavy enough to be registered as a deadly weapon.. I tend to knock the thing over a lot. It has a nice long 20 second cut off.
    I have an iTaste 134 mini, talk about a deadly looking weapon! Anyway I won it in a contest here so I paid $0 for an about $85 APV. The only costs have been batteries and a charger. I've knocked it over or dropped it a couple times, but the clearo it came with (an iClear X.I) is still intact. Tank and all. It has a nice long cutoff time too. Probably more than 15 seconds, which is enough time for me.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Yea, pretty sure I paid under 20 domestically. I like it and it does what it does. I use it as my late night stroll vape, the thing is big and heavy enough to be registered as a deadly weapon. I don't use it much and it is defiantly a coffee table vape and not a daily carry. I tend to knock the thing over a lot. It has a nice long 20 second cut off.

Mine go out and about with me. Not really any bigger than, say, a Vamo, but Vamo's don't have the same feel of invincibility. Then again, I have a belt "holster" for my tube mods, similar to those that are made for Maglites. Don't really notice the weight.

MattB101

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 9, 2012
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    If they're in frequent rotation, "storage" isn't a factor. But that's a good voltage level for storage :)
    Exactly. The manufacturer stores them at that voltage which is pretty much 3/4 voltage. They store them for up to 6 to 8 months like that. Although, with the popularity of Li-Ion batteries these days I doubt that they stay on the shelf that long. You would be absolutely amazed how many lithium ion battery packs are just bunches of 18650 batteries in a pack and wired together to make the desired voltage and Mah. Laptop batteries and cordless drills etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread