Innokin Proton - Lets Talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Same simple clapton TC build as my DripBox in the Proton has an issue (doesn't ever stop pushing). I adjusted TCR and its the same. Tried another TC set up tank and it was fine so I'm blaming claptons as being squirrely for TC.

Plexus coil still looked pretty good considering I had most of a tank of a pretty dark liquid through it.

I played with curve on the Plexus while waiting in the truck. I found it pretty easy to set up but the Plexus coil is fast enough in this weather I didn't have much use for a boost and went back to 60w.

VapingintheGTA

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2016
GTA
Standard wire SS horizontal dual is working right. TCR seems to be right, not as hot as new coils on some other mods. I like the tank, but it can go through liquid. And amazing for a tank that goes through liquid no leaks with either Plexus or the RBA yet.

Good to know it works well with SS that's a good sign!
Glad to have you here cuz when I get the kit, I may hit you up for a bit of technical advise, you'll be our go to guy. :)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I have just now thought to flip the tank upside down and see if any juice leaks out the top, I will let it sit for a while and find out. (It's been about a half an hour now, and nothing yet. I'll let it sit overnight and see, if any does, I will edit this post.)
Update: left it upside down for about nine hours overnight. There was a tiny bit of seepage around the top cap, but no more than after a refill, and no drips out the drip tip.

VapingintheGTA

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2016
GTA
I got rainbow. And the RTA decks from here are the build decks and not as pictured.

I'm going straight to mesh. Going to try my caramel apples to see if it can deal with light flavors.
Hi Myk, I’m really curious to see a picture of the deck you bought, is there anyway that you could post a picture of it? Happy Vaping!
Vonnie

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Hi Myk, I’m really curious to see a picture of the deck you bought, is there anyway that you could post a picture of it? Happy Vaping!
Vonnie
I didn't get one yet, but I think it's this one:

INK-OCG10-3.jpg

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Update: left it upside down for about nine hours overnight. There was a tiny bit of seepage around the top cap, but no more than after a refill, and no drips out the drip tip.

I was laying in the easy chair. Somehow while grabbing it and taking a hit I opened the top, it poured hot liquid in my mouth and then out of the base. This was the RBA deck but I suspect it would happen with any.

If that happens again it might need the TFV4 treatment of using a tank band to hold it shut.

Vonnie

I think I've given up on a vertical coil. I don't think it would have any benefit and would be difficult to get them set up evenly without round air holes. Plus horizontal are much easier to wick.
scion_2804.JPG

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'm reading all that everyone's doing with theirs an am pretty embarrassed. I turned mine on, set it to 11w, threw a coupla tanks, and have been vaping away happily.

There's apparently a lot of good stuff in there that's wasted on the likes of me - sorry 'bout that. :blush:

Does THIS one have voice-activation and "Romantic lights" too? :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

;)

Proton-Tron_20180501_183452.jpg

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm reading all that everyone's doing with theirs an am pretty embarrassed. I turned mine on, set it to 11w, threw a coupla tanks, and have been vaping away happily.

There's apparently a lot of good stuff in there that's wasted on the likes of me - sorry 'bout that. :blush:

Does THIS one have voice-activation and "Romantic lights" too? :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

;)

View attachment 739543

I told my husband I was going to put as a negative that it doesn't do dishes.. :lol:

Dont worry about not trying anything, my husband didn't care for the bells and whistles either.. I was telling him everything it did and he stopped me and asked, "Does it vape?"

:lol::lol::lol:

• Disagree
Reactions: DPLongo22

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

I recommend trying the Scion 2 with the Plexus coil. It's flavor is pretty impressive.
I'm the type who probably would like 11w stuff, I went straight to the low end of Plexus' recommended wattage (60w). I probably would've liked curve if I hit it with 60w and then backed down to 50w-40w.

You could at least change the color. ;)

The good thing about this type of mod is not all that it can do but that it can do what you want. There are things on my VTC minis I have no idea what they are.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Decided to take pictures of a build when I made it or I wouldn't have a empty deck when asked. It's a pretty basic build and easy on this kind of deck.
4.5" 26ga 316L. Wrapped with a Coil Master around the 3.5mm post (I flip it to wrap all 4.5", A) I am that cheap and B) I want both wires to be the exact same length which I can't be sure of randomly cutting off an end).
I slide those on a 4.2mm nail. Unroll the ends until the legs look even. Slide a square edged tweezer between the wraps to space them and roll the nail around until the coil is a spaced coil.

Use the nail to place and hold a coil while tightening it in the base.
1nail_2809.JPG

If the ends are sticking out I pull them out of the way so they're easier to cut and they don't get in the way of setting the 2nd coil. It's a good idea to pulse to check they both fire together before cutting the ends. But if like me you've got one tank and it's in use, they should be close enough to deal with without the leg length using two complete wires originally cut to the same length wrapped around the same nail.
2legs_2810.JPG

Do any tweeking to the coils to get them over the airholes, outer most wraps away from the posts so they don't short and everyone spaced evenly. Ready to wick.
3done_2811.JPG

Trim about that much. Adding a needle to lift the wick near the coil and pushing down like this is the move I do to get the ends stuffed in first.
4trim_2815.JPG

There are the ends just started in. Then start poking them down with the eye end of the needle.
5stuff_2819.JPG

Once they're showing up in the hole use the needle to comb them out, and then you can push them back in. Repeat for the others and you're ready to prime.
6comb_2818.JPG

VapingintheGTA

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2016
GTA
The Innokin Proton is very soon to be released and I was one of the lucky ones who won one of them in the recent ECF contest! (I added those links for everyone's information)

Ive had the Proton kit for a couple days now so I thought to give my thoughts on the vape this mod provides, and open up the Proton for general discussion; who is looking forward to its release?, who plans on buying one? and what are everyone's thoughts who owns one after they receive either their win or their purchase?

Therefore I will start the ball rolling. I watched Phil Busardo's review in order to learn how it worked. Its indepth and long, but if your getting one I highly recommend you watch this.

I'm not doing an indepth review because I believe there is no way I can top whats already been done. But I will give my impressions of the mod from the perspective of someone who has vaped nearly four years. I'm not going to either use the Scion 11 nor am I going to say anything about it, its not my vaping style at any rate, but it is getting rave reviews from ECF members like @whodat2112 in the contest thread so we can make the assumption that it really is an awesome tank for the DL crowd, and hopefully more people will chime in on how they like that tank.

So here is a picture of the mod:

View attachment 739241

(sans Scion 11)

I got rainbow and there seemed to be a lot of green in that, so I chose green for the screen color. We have several choices of color for our screen, but this one seemed a bit matchy and I liked it.

The screen is very clear and easy to see for those of us whose eyesight might be failing (hahaha) and the brightness is adjustable to as bright or as dim as anyone needs, and you can set a timer for how long the screen stays lit up also so its not really a drain on the battery..

I really enjoyed the smoothness of the vape on this mod. I'm getting a smooth vape with little to no perceptible ramp up time on a 26 gauge kanthal coil. (6 or 7 wraps I think, I don't remember but it was 3mm ID)

Going into the menu and changing watts took a little practice for me because its different than I'm used to, but I got the hang of it quite quickly and without issue.

The joystick works well and I am oddly not worried about breaking it like I thought i might be - I guess the feel of it doesn't make me think of "brittle" or "breakable", so I'm just using it and not thinking about it.

I used TC mode for the first time on this Proton. It was surprisingly easy to use.

View attachment 739249

After I built the coil (using 316L SS wire) I allowed the wire to cool down fully - I gave it a full hour after pulsing the coil just to be safe that it was room temperature cold because Ive read on the forums you need to set the TC in the mod using a room temperature coil so I was careful to do that.

Once I chose 316L for my coil I turned up the temperature until the temperature was where I normally like to vape, and I set the wattage according to the coil and I was all set.

Shockingly, there was nothing to it at all, it didn't take me but a few seconds to a minute to get the right settings.. I didn't find it fiddly at all. So really for a first time TC user that is a very good design.

I was surprised that I like a warmer vape than I assumed, it was cool learning something new about myself.

I tried the power curve function and while I can note that it works fine and as intended I am not sure the real point of it unless you want to micromanage your drag, therefore its not really something I care to use.. it does work though, for those interested in this feature. You can micromanage to your hearts content! :)

I also tried the TCR function, and I really don't understand that so I have decided Im better off leaving that one alone. The settings that come on the mod for temperature control are perfect IMHO. I think I just messed stuff up in that setting.. lol.

Overall, I really like this mod. I like the way it looks and the way it feels in the hand, its lightweight and comfortable to hold. Very nice, and well worth every dollar they are charging for it in my honest opinion. I'd buy it for sure.

Cant speak yet to longevity as Ive only had this in hand a couple days, but so far so good on this mod! Initial impression is a definite win!

I invite the others who won to chime in and share their thoughts as well! @bwh79 @Aleksandr I. @xena222 @Violetti Usva @VapingintheGTA @Myk Come on in and share your experiences!

(Im not trying to distract from your own threads your planning on making if you are planning them, just thought more than one opinion would be wonderful!)

And of course, as time goes on I will keep posting if there happen to be any changes in how well it operates!

Decided to take pictures of a build when I made it or I wouldn't have a empty deck when asked. It's a pretty basic build and easy on this kind of deck.
4.5" 26ga 316L. Wrapped with a Coil Master around the 3.5mm post (I flip it to wrap all 4.5", A) I am that cheap and B) I want both wires to be the exact same length which I can't be sure of randomly cutting off an end).
I slide those on a 4.2mm nail. Unroll the ends until the legs look even. Slide a square edged tweezer between the wraps to space them and roll the nail around until the coil is a spaced coil.

Use the nail to place and hold a coil while tightening it in the base.
View attachment 739609

If the ends are sticking out I pull them out of the way so they're easier to cut and they don't get in the way of setting the 2nd coil. It's a good idea to pulse to check they both fire together before cutting the ends. But if like me you've got one tank and it's in use, they should be close enough to deal with without the leg length using two complete wires originally cut to the same length wrapped around the same nail.
View attachment 739611

Do any tweeking to the coils to get them over the airholes, outer most wraps away from the posts so they don't short and everyone spaced evenly. Ready to wick.
View attachment 739615

Trim about that much. Adding a needle to lift the wick near the coil and pushing down like this is the move I do to get the ends stuffed in first.
View attachment 739617

There are the ends just started in. Then start poking them down with the eye end of the needle.
View attachment 739621

Once they're showing up in the hole use the needle to comb them out, and then you can push them back in. Repeat for the others and you're ready to prime.
View attachment 739623

Thank you very much Myk for all the time and effort to do such a good and thorough post! A+ well done!
Vonnie
P.S. still waiting ever so patiently for my prize.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Ack! I just took a dry-hit on my Plexus coil. I noticed pretty quick so I didn't singe it too bad, it seems to have recovered okay-ish when I re-filled it, for now, but we'll see. I may end up finding out if I can rebuild it sooner than intended...

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Houston, we have a problem. Maybe. Initially in TC I was taking big quick puffs, worked fine. I got used to the open draw, slowed down to my normal TC puffs and noticed it was a bit rough, also my used RTA wick swelled cutting off the feed rate after a few tanks. Then I watched the screen while not puffing, in the 400°F-420°F range the volts in TC never really drop below 20w. At 300°F it drops to 2.63w, and I've seen it stick at .05v rarely so it has the ability to show that on the screen.
On the TC mods I have that don't give me irritation the watts readily drop to 1w and 0w when it hits temperature without puffing, at low temperatures go there and stay there.
I don't have a way to actually test other than my ears, throat, taste and watching the screen but I think TC may need some firmware tweeking.

I just checked for an update. Very easy although the USB plug is in the way to use the joystick easily.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Houston, we have a problem. Maybe. Initially in TC I was taking big quick puffs, worked fine. I got used to the open draw, slowed down to my normal TC puffs and noticed it was a bit rough, also my used RTA wick swelled cutting off the feed rate after a few tanks. Then I watched the screen while not puffing, in the 400°F-420°F range the volts in TC never really drop below 20w. At 300°F it drops to 2.63w, and I've seen it stick at .05v rarely so it has the ability to show that on the screen.
On the TC mods I have that don't give me irritation the watts readily drop to 1w and 0w when it hits temperature without puffing, at low temperatures go there and stay there.
I don't have a way to actually test other than my ears, throat, taste and watching the screen but I think TC may need some firmware tweeking.

I just checked for an update. Very easy although the USB plug is in the way to use the joystick easily.

I might be having a dual coil or a high room temperature issue. The tank isn't acting right on anything. Need more people to get this to confirm or deny my perceptions.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Dumped the tank (I'm working on a new flavor and needed an excuse to get into the latest mix), removed the wick, checked all the connections. At 600°F and no wick it's acting like I'd expect, spending a considerable amount of time below 1v, above 1w but more reasonable than 20w like I was having with a wick. Both are pulsing together.
In the room with the AC it calibrated to the right Ω.
Trying a looser cotton ball wick rather than the cotton that came with these decks this time. Hopefully it keeps the no leaking record going.

I'm not sure what it was. It seemed hotter than others once the wick started getting plugged and it seems it pushes harder without puffing compared to others but it acted like I'd expect without a wick so maybe the feed rate wasn't getting along with how they handle the high temperature protection. Where some seem to completely shut down (which can cause its own issues) maybe this one pushes a little to hold the temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread