Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
so I’ve been vaping the zenith as my daily driver for a couple weeks now, and I’m finding coil life to be about 2.5x what I would get out of an rta wick, so about 5 days. I like the thing but the cost factor may be too much for me long term. Am I just vaping funky juice? How does this compare with other people’s experience? Am I just spoiled by being able to change a wick whenever I thought the flavor or draw was getting annoying?

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Have you ever vaped an rta? If so how long did your wicks generally last?
I rewick rtas with rayon once or twice a week, depending on what flavors I’m using. I get 2-3 weeks out of a zenith coil, but I keep that coil to one flavor profile ( just fruits or just custards etc)

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Hmm.. I swapped coils twice so far. Once at the three day mark because I wasn’t sure if flavor was starting to decrease or not and wanted to check (it wasn’t really) and then again after about 5 days because it became hard to draw. I pulled the coil and it was dead black so I changed it.
Is it the z coil? I had crappy luck with those. Went back to the original coils. There’s a whole thread here on just the zenith tank and coils

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I pulled the coil and it was dead black so I changed it.

Hmm, maybe I'll do that to mine tomorrow just to see what's going on in there. If it's black, I guess that means my taste buds are shot. But it draws fine, so I'm betting it (and they) are not.

Reactions: NolaMel

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Did yours whistle with the plexus z coil?
Not so much whistle as an audible,wheezy airflow sound. Hard to describe. I threw the rest of the z coils out. Tried to finish up what I had, but they would last anywhere from a few hours to a week before suddenly getting a dry hit, burnt taste. They weren’t dry, and I even lowered the watts to 12! Not worth the hassle. I like to use them on trips so I don’t have to drag build stuff with me.

• Love
Reactions: Letitia

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Checked my most-used coil this morning. It's black, but the vape is fine, so I'm going to let it go a bit longer. Might pop it before it fails just to see if cleaning it will make a difference.

I just checked the unopened package of the spare coil that came with one of the Zenith tanks. Sure enough, it is a Plexus Z. When I looked at my five-packs of replacement coils, I saw that they're all Zs as well. When I was researching the Zenith tank and the Kroma kit, only the .5 coil was billed as Z, but I guess Innokin has switched them all over. This means I've been vaping on Plexus Z coils, .8 and 1.6, for a while now. I have heard no whistling, but the "wheezy airflow sound" @NolaMel describes is noticeable. It doesn't bother me, and I have no experience with anything quieter, so I'm fine with it.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Checked my most-used coil this morning. It's black, but the vape is fine, so I'm going to let it go a bit longer. Might pop it before it fails just to see if cleaning it will make a difference.

I just checked the unopened package of the spare coil that came with one of the Zenith tanks. Sure enough, it is a Plexus Z. When I looked at my five-packs of replacement coils, I saw that they're all Zs as well. When I was researching the Zenith tank and the Kroma kit, only the .5 coil was billed as Z, but I guess Innokin has switched them all over. This means I've been vaping on Plexus Z coils, .8 and 1.6, for a while now. I have heard no whistling, but the "wheezy airflow sound" @NolaMel describes is noticeable. It doesn't bother me, and I have no experience with anything quieter, so I'm fine with it.
I thought just the .5 was z coil? I have both.8 and 1.6, they hold up for weeks. For what it’s worth, in an out of town emergency, I did wash a coil and let it dry because it tasted burnt and I brought no extras. It worked fine. Took me back to the old days of soaking them overnight in everclear to clean and reuse.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
79B2F6AF-FDF5-4E5E-93D2-0B8AFC9A6F07.jpeg
The packages are labeled Z, but not Plexus Z. Maybe there's a difference?

Good to hear that about washing them. It appeals to my unwasteful side. I have tons of Everclear I can use.
Everclear??? Party at Z’s house Friday :w00t::lol:

I thought I had gotten rid of all the plexus z coils. Here’s a picture of the regular vs z coil boxes.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Huh. The boxes the coils came in don't have the "Plexus coil" badge, but the spare coil that came with the tank says "Z Zenith coil" and the wrappers around the coils in the five-pack say "Z coil." I'd think the Z stood for Zenith, but then "Z Zenith" would be redundant.

Re the Everclear, I like making my own liqueurs and amari, so I have a case of half-gallon jugs of the stuff. At the rate I drink (now), it'll last me for years. Though this is my second case, and I got my first three years ago, so maybe not all that many years.

• Love

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Huh. The boxes the coils came in don't have the "Plexus coil" badge, but the spare coil that came with the tank says "Z Zenith coil" and the wrappers around the coils in the five-pack say "Z coil." I'd think the Z stood for Zenith, but then "Z Zenith" would be redundant.

Re the Everclear, I like making my own liqueurs and amari, so I have a case of half-gallon jugs of the stuff. At the rate I drink (now), it'll last me for years. Though this is my second case, and I got my first three years ago, so maybe not all that many years.
So all three (0.5, 0.8, 1.6)ohm coils say z coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread