Jun 7, 2012
Chi-town
Last edited:

ShelleyF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Tennessee
I never had insomnia until I started vaping which is weird to me. I have no trouble falling asleep I just have trouble staying asleep. And when I do finally fall into a good sleep after being so tired I have bad dreams that are very weird. I never had this happen before. It was every night but this week it is dwindling down to just a few nights. I actually slept last night after praying and am fighting a cold that came up yesterday out of nowhere. I am so tired and ready to go to bed right now but it is only 6:23 PM so no way can I do that!

michelle_gonzales74

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2012
New Mexico
This music thread silly...there's some good stuff to inspire you as you dream of sleep!!!!

Y'all may have noticed I'm most active round these parts late at night...I used to work from 4pm-4am and my sleep, which was never great, totally got all kerfluffled...

Now I work 4am-4pm which is better, but with my job it almost feels like you're never really not at work!!

But at least it's quiet cuz the housemates and the puppies are snoozing...

bump for your tunes thread :D

michelle_gonzales74

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2012
New Mexico
Insomniac checking in.
I'm always searching for a sleep aid that works.
I lost my medical benefits when I quit my job to go back to school.
Nyquil stopped working weeks ago and sominex never did work.
Pay some Lunesta forward? Just kidding, although quite often I wish it was legal to do so :(

lunesta?? does it really work? i want some!!!!

michelle_gonzales74

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2012
New Mexico
I never had insomnia until I started vaping which is weird to me. I have no trouble falling asleep I just have trouble staying asleep. And when I do finally fall into a good sleep after being so tired I have bad dreams that are very weird. I never had this happen before. It was every night but this week it is dwindling down to just a few nights. I actually slept last night after praying and am fighting a cold that came up yesterday out of nowhere. I am so tired and ready to go to bed right now but it is only 6:23 PM so no way can I do that!

aww man that sux!!! but ive never heard of vaping causing or contributing to it... hmmm... maybe as in the threadds as a post? maybe someone with more expirience has heard of something?

ShelleyF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Tennessee
been a weird few days. no sleep at night and now im sleepy during the day. never happened like that before. im usually awake or WIDE awake. never been sleepy during the day. hmmm...

I am sorry you are still going through this. I am still having trouble too. I haven't had any more bad dreams lately but now it is almost as bad. I sell on the very famous website, ( not sure if I can post that here) and it has been slow lately on there. Well I have had the same dream 4 times in the past week that I have all my stuff selling for big money and then I wake up and it isn't true:( It makes me want to cry and it keeps happening. Never happened before, this is so weird. I am still waking up and then I have to take a nap during the day or I will be too tired. I have always been able to take a nap whenever I wanted to and still sleep at night before. I lowered my nic awhile back and I tell you it seems like I slept better before doing that but that doesn't make any sense. My blood pressure is great now a little low actually but the Dr. loves it now and I wonder if maybe you don't need much sleep when it is like that, lol I don't know I am pulling at straws now....

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Have you tried lowering your nic content at night?

That's something I had to do for sure. Around the apt in the evening after work I won't vape anything higher than 12mg. Granted, I do kind of chain vape it when I am just watching TV or ECFing, but the lower nic seems to make a bit of a difference.

As for insomnia ... lived with that for eons. Melatonin helps. But as I scrolled through this thread, I realized something ... I'm missing a certain night time routine now. I would go out to the balcony and have one last cigarette, usually while finishing a beer just before bed.

Now that I vape inside, I don't do that. Might need to start putting the laptop to bed before I do, and go sit outside and enjoy a glass of water or even a beer before sleep.

Routine is a big thing. Yes the melatonin helps get me to sleep, but even after 2+ months of vaping ... something I did for decades is missing.

studinski

Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
on the road & Montgomery, AL
A little late to reply here but I will give anyone still monitoring the thread what info I have. Might help someone. I had trouble staying awake when I first started vaping. I got used to when I was driving and felt dozey or started yawning I would have a cigarette (or three) and I was wide awake again. Doesn't work with vaping. I think it has something to do with all the other cr@p that is in analogs. All those things we can't (and don't want to) pronounce versus PG, VG, flavor, water and nicotine.

I have tried Lunesta. On some it works within minutes. It took about an hour to kick in on me, and then I was just slowed down. It didn't "make" me go to sleep, or keep me asleep either. Ambien was a little better, but the timed release one that is supposed to help you sleep through the night didn't work at all. The non-timed release one, with an Elavil, usually puts me out in about an hour, and for the most part I stay asleep all night and don't wake up with a hangover feeling.

On the herbal front: Melatonin, up to 3mg per night works very well on some people.
Kava Kava helps some people. Just be aware of the dosing as Kava is known to damage the liver in excessive doses. Also, Kava does interact with a host of prescription meds, so do your research if you are on other medications.
Valerian can be an amazing herb. But one major drawback is that it smells like sweatsocks :(. You have to start with a low dose also or you can end up groggy through most of the next day.
TylenolPM and other "PM" over the counter meds are easy to become immune to. They use the active ingredient in Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) and use the "sleepy" side-effect that it causes to help you get to sleep. But its effectiveness wears off quickly with regular use. This is also the main ingredient in: Nytol, Sominex, Sleepinal, Compoz.
I have had luck with the generic version from WalMart of Doxylamine. It is in the brand names such as Unisom, Nighttime Sleep Aid and such. I had better luck with this one than I ever had with Benadryl. And, for me, I didn't seem to build up an immunity to it as quickly.

You can also try to exercise, even mild exercise, in about the middle of your day. Don't try to exercise right before bed though as exercise energizes most people, rather than calming you for sleep.

Hope this helps
Sarah
(and a quick PS: I have had and have fought with insomnia since I was about 4 years old)

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
I absolutely LOVE sleep. But it is very fleeting for me. I lay in bed with a mind racing, thinking of art. Usually when that happens, I get up, go to my shop (garage) and just blow glass. Most of the time the next thing I know is that the sun is up and my day has started. When that happens I don't even bother trying to sleep until the night comes.

It's actually a blessing and a curse. I love making glass art and for some reason when I'm tired, I'm most creative. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread