Intro post - making the most out of your starter/beginner devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking and googling for months now, and I don't know about all other noobs, but my wife and I like to tinker. We started vaping in an attempt to quit smoking analog about a year ago. While we wait for the funds to upgrade to higher-end, higher vape production like mech mods and RDAs, we have discovered that with our various "starter" kits and gear, we already have all we need to make the switch from smoking to vaping. I just wanted to share that personal experience here in the form of a few very simple points. If I can help others quit ciggies and get the most out of their cheapo starter gear before they toss it out or go back to smoking, then it'll make this post worth it, I suppose. lol. I'm sure most of this has been covered in other posts on the forum at some point, but I don't now if it's all been covered in one post yet, so here we go...

1:) Rebuild/rewick stock Kanger/Evod-type coil cartridges.

Wicking: Most of the starter kit clearomizers seem to use that standard coil cartridge head that comes with varying ohm coils with silica wicks and flavor wicks. The stock silica seems hardly absorbant, but is durable and impossible to burn. So it makes sense they would be present in production coil heads. But cotton is far superior for vaping, it seems. In fact, just replacing the silica flavor wick in these little coil heads increased vapor production maybe 2x for us. So when we actually replaced the silica wick completely with cotton (hard to do on used heads due to how sticky the silica gets inside the coils after fouling), we improved on our vaping experience so much we don't even vape on stock heads anymore, and just remove the silical from new, unused coils from the get go and fill in with cotton. Often, depending on the tank/juice combination we're using, we don't even need a flavor wick. What matters is cooking the juice without getting any in the air channel or holes below the coil.

Easy rules to remember: the higher the PG % in your juice, the less material you need inside your coil head. Likewise, the higher VG % in your juice will require a faster cook and more material. The faster the juice cooks, the less material you will need inside your coil head in general. However, the higher absorbancy of your wick material, the more juice will be exposed to the heating element, AND it will be less likely any of the juice will make it to the airholes before it's cooked, in which case you may get away with more material inside your head, producing more vapor, but only at a faster, hotter fire rate. Lower ohms + increased power = faster cooking. But you have to be careful not to run outside a safe range for the battery/coil combo you've got going. I am still trying to figure all that out, so I stay in the 1.7ohm/4.2v range tops. But even in that range, I'm getting superior vapor flavor and production from my little modded coil heads. Sorry if all that was messy/too wordy.

Coils: There are so many tutorials and videos on rebuilding the micro coils inside these heads that I will not go into detail here, other than making two points - as stated above, within these little coil heads sticking to a mid-range 1.6, 1.7ohms or so is safe and productive. Use a multimeter or ohms reader, because it's that important. Also, a note on the newer dual coil heads for Kanger stuff - first of all, dual coils in such a small space is ridiculous, and I think it's only a gimmick. Our single-coil rebuilds FAR out perform any stock dual coil cartridges we've used, even the 1.5ohm ones we used. Also, Kanger started making those new sealed dual coil replacement heads so that people would stop rebuilding (thus improving on) their stock heads. So don't buy them. The old-style non-sealed dual-coil heads are still manufactured for the various clearomizers and available pretty much anywhere. If you have newer model protanks or mini protanks, you can use single-coil size heads in them too, so really there's no reason to buy the dual-coil size heads if you rebuild. Different chimney lengths do matter for some tanks, because longer ones may not fit, which makes the shorter no-name replacement heads useful for most applications, if you pay attention to how to mod them specifically for the tank and juice you are using.

2): Bore out stock airholes.

The stock airholes on most little clearomizers seem only to be pilot holes, and are quite easy to bore out a bit to increase airflow. I just used the small pointy tool for poking holes in leather (the real term has escaped me at the moment) that is on a small mutli-tool I bought at an auto-parts store. Increased the size of the airholes x2 on our Mini Protank 3s and Evod/Aro tanks and the vapor production also increased by at least 2x if not more. More air = more vapor, but too much air will take away some of the flavor. Find that balance and you will be happy. Now, if we are getting too much airflow, we simply plug one of the holes with a fingertip.

3) Battery devices.

We only have cheapo-type VV and non-VV batteries here right now. eGo style and a couple KGO Mega 1300MaH batteries, and two x-fire/e-fire wood VV batteries that people pay way too much for. LOL. Biggest things I've learned:

Know what you have and how it works.

There's so many different type of eGo-type 510 batteries out there, clones and brand names and such. With a little Googling, you can usually find out exactly what you have. I discovered recently that the cheap eGo-type 650MaH-size batteries we've been using (that seem to pack a BIG punch for the size) are actually cool little KGO Mega 1300MaH unregulated batteries with multi-LED voltage indicators in the button. Fully charged they belt out 4.2 volts and simply decrease voltage with use, letting me know approximate voltage range as indicated as the button changes colors. I've since read some crappy reviews on these batteries... but I'm sorry, even if these things don't last a year, that's some cool technology that is pretty useful for people who want to vape decent clouds descretely while on the go, and have their battery hold a charge all day. I will buy these KGOs over any actual Ego from now on just because of what they offer in such a small package. They stay in the 3.9-4.2v range for at least a couple hours of use, and that rules. Our VV batteries are cool too, but don't seem to hit as hard as the fully charged KGOs, even when set at 4.2v.

Center posts.

We all end up with different little tanks and clearomizers over time, with different length 510 connections and posts. If you are using different tanks on the same batteries, you WILL eventually push your battery center post down to the point that it no longer makes a connection to any of your tank bases. Simply (and gently) use a flat head something-or-other to pry up that center post a bit and you should be good to go again.

Following these few simple points on batteries, coupled with the bored-out air holes and rebuilt coils as detailed above, our little small-format vape devices put out some BIG vapor and much stonger hits. No need to throw out your starter gear if it isn't completely DOA or otherwise dangerous in some way. We have made what we have work well enough to have made analog smokes seem ridiculous, when using them in their stock config really didn't. Now, we have highly effective devices that we will continue to use after we get our mech mods and RDAs simply because what we have come up with is very portable, inexpensive gear that not only produces a lot of good vapor, but won't break our hearts if it busts or if we lose it while away from home.

I welcome any and all additions, comments, corrections, or criticism on this stuff, as I am still very new. Thanks peeps. :)

We officially quit stinky ciggies two days ago, BTW.

Jaffo

Hi, great news about you quit date, loved the info you gave about air holes, the device is called an "awl" all the other info was spot on. The only thing I would add is to forget duel coils because they pull too much juice from your battery for next to no reward (not to mention frequent burnt taste). The best equipment is often the simplest and cheapest with a few tweeks. Keep on Vaping on :)

Thanks guys. The stuff I learned makes a lot of sense to me now, and makes a world of difference with just simple modifications.

BadKarma, I don't have any experience with the innokins, but they do seem to be quality tanks - especially if you can rebuild the coil to suit, or rewick with cotton. Both will drastically improve performance. With these smaller format 510 tanks, I think it's safest to stick with close to a 50/50 PG/VG blend so your juice isn't too thick or too thin - until you've mastered making the small adjustments to the coil heads and wicking that I mentioned in my post. Again, the idea is to keep the liquid from entering the air hole in the bottom of the head by either providing plenty of wicking material, or having a coil that burns quick enough and hot enough to vaporize the liquid before it leaks into that chamber. Depending on your particular coil head, it may require fiddling with the rubber boot until you find the right spot that seals but allows enough juice into the chamber. It can be tricky, but so worth it. I want to try a much higher % of VG soon to I can further test that theory, but with a more even blend it's worked well.

SunshinePete

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire, England
Interesting stuff, thanks. The last couple of days I've been using, as well as my mod, a couple of cheap kanger clone bdc clearos on old ego batteries, and getting some great flavours. Slightly off-topic, really way off-topic, but I'm intrigued by how many Americans in this forum are short of cash and willing to say so. Brits tend to be more coy, cultural difference.

Interesting point. I'm sure American personalities will vary. Personally, we are in a transition period and pretty much at poverty level. Haha. I have no problem being honest about it, because I normally make good $. But vaping and making the most out of our cheap gear is WAY cheaper than paying three times as much to smoke ciggies just to eventually kill ourselves, so honesty is the best policy.

But you're right on the money - even when we get our mech mods and RDAs, now that I know what we can do with the Kanger tanks and clones and a good 510 battery, I don't see ever tossing any of this stuff. Still awesome for leaving the house and being able to vape all day without going through the juice we would go through with drippers. I know there's all the RBAs and rebuildable tanks that we can invest in, but I'm not sure getting larger clouds is really what we need. Just good, solid, quality hits are enough to be superior to analog smoking. Doesn't mean I won't eventually get a Kraken to go on my Stingray mod to leave the house with - but damn.... what if that got stolen or lost. I'd be peeist. Haha

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I'm short of cash! I don't get much per month so I don't see that changing in the near future. I have learned to rebuild and wick my stock coils to save money and me and my friends love how they perform. They use vv devices and have no problem or want of anything bigger. I on the other hand have purchased bigger but with rebuilding those stock bcc's I must say the performance is divine and on nearly the same level if not there already. Thanks for all the pointers, it took me a year to figure it all out.

Been about a year for us. LOL. But only figured out some of this stuff in the last month or so, and started rebuilding our micro coils in the last week. Which is why I'm so excited about reaching these important, money saving milestones that brought our vaping to a whole new level without having to buy new gear. I LOVE it.

Now, because we've tinkered and modified, of course having some higher end stuff like mech mods and RDAs sounds like FUN - it's just no longer necessary. Which is a nice feeling.

Side note - I just found one of our first beginner tanks - a Smok RBA (as labeled) with the smokey molded plastic one piece tank/tip over a more conventional 510 base with the same conventional coil head inside. I replaced the coil head with one I have with a stock 1.8ohm coil and and original silica wick, with a decently thick cotton wick on top. I figured I'd need to bore out the crappy air holes, but didn't bother yet. Also, we stopped using this tank because it would sputter and spit liquid into our mouths, maybe with the colder vape we used to get off it. I don't know. But with this new head (added an extra inverted round boot to minimize leaking) inside that old beginner tank on top of one of the KGO Mega 1300Mah batteries charged to full 4.2v, that thing just belted out big clouds of flavorful vapor. NOMS. That's 50/50 juice we just got for 2 for $5 at the vape shop down the street.

Oh, and one more tip regarding rewicking - do it at least daily, especially when changing juices. Cotton will soak and saturate, and eventually the cooked residue will clog it up, depending on how thick or dark your e-juice choices are. Mine ends up vaping thick and rich right before it tends to allow juice to leak into the airflow, especially when the tank gets close to empty. This suggests, aside from the wicks needing to be changed out, than the lower levels of juice thin out with the heat. Couple that with cotton saturated and clogged with residue, you'll get more gurgling and possible leaking. So I am finding myself rewicking more often not only to avoid the gurgle and leak, but because it's still fun to tinker, and the resulting vape is awesome and the thick clouds are more satisfying.

The wife has been complaining of ciggie cravings today, so I've been actively tinkering and rewicking to give her better hits, and it's working. And by the way - while testing your new wicks and getting all excited about your new vaping experience with your gear, if you have nicotine in your juices, expect to have moments of nicosick. LOL. Hit me a couple times today and I've had to take breaks. Noobs often over do it with the vaping, because they can vape indoors and stuff. Vaping way more than they would have smoked. That can make you sickish if you're not careful. ;)

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Thank you for the great thread, Jaffo.

I've started rebuilding my clearomizers (a CE4 dangling wick, EVOD BCC, and Aspire-like BDC), and it's quite fun. It was easier starting off with silica, but I'm dubious of its wicking properties. The coiling isn't bad (although they certainly aren't pretty), but wicking with cotton is still something I'm unsure about. Just mnutes ago I had to replace some cotton, do a quick dry burn to ward off build-up, and throw some more cotton in. The jury is still out on whether it helped, or my battery is just dying :) I'm also debating whether cotton takes a few dozen hits, or at least some time after installation, to get really effective.

I still don't know how much cotton is right; I've read that for true rebuildable atomizers, less tends to work better. I'll be playing with that for quite some time, I imagine. I'm also getting spontaneous leakage, so I've got a few things to play around with. It's only been about a week since I got the Kanthal, but it's been a fun week.

Totally fun. Cotton is far less resilient than silica, but tastes and vapes better, in the opinion of many, because of its absorbent nature. We may have to change it out more often and dry burn the coil, but the vaping experience is just better for me. Now, if you go with less inside those tiny chambers, you have to do something to compensate to keep from liquid flooding the chamber due to lack of material. So maybe a smaller cotton wick and a flavor wick layer on top. Or, a bit more cotton as your main wick and no flavor wick. I've done it both ways. Kinda depends on the coil head and how it seals. The rubber boot helps regulate the amount of juice that gets into the head too. I just pull a an inch or so of loose cotton, twist up one end enough to thread into the coil, and pull it through until it starts to feel a bit of resistance, then pull it back a tad and snip off the ends. Not too tight, not too loose. Usually that is enough wick to prevent flooding or leaking in the single coil-size heads. If I'm building in the taller dual coil size heads I always add a flavor wick to help block the extra space. I like the pop and sizzle and resulting vapor when I use less cotton, as long as it doesn't flood.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Yeah, I'm all about the snap crackle pop; my goal is to consistently get it going like that (until I find something better!).

I don't even deal with flooding a lot, but occasionally I'll find that my battery is covered with liquid. I played around with some extra cotton thrown in, a la flavor wicks, but that caused immediate gurgle with way too much liquid retension in the head. I don't think I've tried the flavor wick for single coils, and I only tried it in the double because I believe the chimney was touching coil and inducing a short. I even tried a miniscule little disc of very thin cotton over the coil, and got the same result. Flavor wicks just aren't for me, which I'm OK with.

The big thing, for me, is that I can't consistently get the throat hit that I'm looking for. I'll just have to get some more experience under my belt and figure out what's going wrong. I may replace the last wick with thicker cotton, to see if I did make it too thin, leaving some space between coil and cotton. Looking at it fire with the chimney off, that doesn't seem to be the case, but the coils probably could stand to have been wrapped a little more tightly and uniformly. The dry burn helped with vapor production, but it's still lacking the kick, at the moment.

doc julio

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2014
UK
No wonder you were so miffed when you lost your first post.... that was a long post!

Good post too. I learnt a few things. Most notably why my Mini Protank 3 doesn't make contact on my Vision Spinner Mk2 any more! Though I am a bit nervous of attacking the post with a small screwdriver in case I totally wreck it! Perhaps there is a video I can watch to give me some reassurance.... gonna check that out right now.

cheers, Jaffa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread