ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
built a 0.2 ohm coil,well 2ply ,single coil,20 watts
and battery seems to be draining faster
vs when I has a 1ohm coil @ 55watts

The ipv Mini 2 does not do buck (step-down) regulation. Check out ohms law and think about what kind of current you are really drawing and what kind of watts are really generated with your 0.2Ω coil.

And quit messing with 0.2Ω coils unless you understand that.

(There are way too many explanations, simple and complex, here on ecf and all over the place for me to go into another lesson for you. Seek and you shall..)

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila
The IPV Mini 2 does not do buck (step-down) regulation. Check out ohms law and think about what kind of current you are really drawing and what kind of watts are really generated with your 0.2Ω coil.

And quit messing with 0.2Ω coils unless you understand that.

(There are way too many explanations, simple and complex, here on ecf and all over the place for me to go into another lesson for you. Seek and you shall..)

thanks for the concern don't worry about the 0.2 ohm coil :)
been building coils for a while now...and I know how much I am pulling if it was a mech mod :)

thanks for clarifying thou,so it just boost basically?
so the display thing is basically inaccurate if I set the wattage down lets say 20 watts?and display says I am only using 2.5v?
realistically its still pulling the same wattage as if I had a mech mod?

am I atleast understanding correctly?

dangaranga

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2015
Metro Detroit, MI
I think there is something funky going on with the power regulation in these devices. I had nothing but trouble with my atlantis burning up on both my mini v2 and my buddies v2 set between 25-30 watts.

It works fine on my unregulated mod which is around 26w and i recently picked up a sigelei 150 and the atlantis is fine on that at 42w.

I went through 5 coils and maybe a total of 5-6 tanks worth of juice before saying screw it until i got the sig.

Has anyone put a mini v2 on a scope to see whats going on with these?

andrew1030

Mar 11, 2015
I think there is something funky going on with the power regulation in these devices. I had nothing but trouble with my atlantis burning up on both my mini v2 and my buddies v2 set between 25-30 watts.

It works fine on my unregulated mod which is around 26w and i recently picked up a sigelei 150 and the atlantis is fine on that at 42w.

I went through 5 coils and maybe a total of 5-6 tanks worth of juice before saying screw it until i got the sig.

Has anyone put a mini v2 on a scope to see whats going on with these?

Atlantis 1 or 2? How many ohms? Are you aware that the IPV Mini II does not do step down? (At least what the community thinks)
So if you chuck a standard 0.5ohm BVC replacement in there, the lowest it can go with a fully charged 4.2V battery is about 35W. Setting it at 25-30W does nothing, it dumps battery direct w/o the regulation, but retains the protection I guess. The only time you can get 30W is when the batt drops below 3.8V. Again, assuming you have a .5 replacement on. Idk what's up with the sigelei tho, but if it works for you...:)

Last edited:

andrew1030

Mar 11, 2015
Few questions / stuff about the IPV Mini 2:

1) Does it do step down or a partial step down?
The manual gives us 7W-70W / 3.6V-8.5V output. Pretty sure it isnt going 7W on a 0.4ohm coil, it's still firing strong. But does it step down to say, 33W (3.6V @ 0.4ohm)? Or purely just dumping, say a charged 4.2V battery?

2) The paint on this thing is horrendous. I have the black version and I'm pretty gentle and careful with my stuff, but not enough apparently. There are paint chips here & there, and it seems to be painted on some rough metal without a primer coat I think. Is this the same for all?

3) The manual and brochure doesn't state this, but there is a lock feature on the Mini v2 by pressing + & - buttons at the same time to lock and unlock. Do you guys have this too?

4) The battery cap, it builds some black residue on the threads of the battery cap over time. I cleaned it out last week, it's back again today. Not sure how much resistance this adds if any, but i guess it should be cleaned time to time?

5) The area around the 510 connection to secure the atomizer gets scratched easily. I've DIY a little washer off a carbon fibre sticker to prevent metal to metal contact between the atomizer & device. Do i need to do this? Will there be a possibility of a short if I don't?

6) What's the real batt voltage when the indicator just got empty? Idk, it still seems to charge pretty fast with the build in & the device gets a little warm. Is there a step-up going on when charging the batt?

Sorry if this is kinda overwhelming :(

Last edited:

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila

1) Does it do step down or a partial step down?
The manual gives us 7W-70W / 3.6V-8.5V output. Pretty sure it isnt going 7W on a 0.4ohm coil, it's still firing strong. But does it step down to say, 33W (3.6V @ 0.4ohm)? Or purely just dumping, say a charged 4.2V battery?

--community thinks,no..
tested vape 5watts,and 20watts,feels the same on a 0.2 ohm build :)

2) The paint on this thing is horrendous. I have the black version and I'm pretty gentle and careful with my stuff, but not enough apparently. There are paint chips here & there, and it seems to be painted on some rough metal without a primer coat I think. Is this the same for all?

as far as back reading yes,that seems to be an issue of the paint,specially on the black ones,same reason I choose silver,thou the silver thing doesn't chip off,its a finger print magnet and scratch magnet,better invest on the silicone case of a wrap..

3) The manual and brochure doesn't state this, but there is a lock feature on the Mini v2 by pressing + & - buttons at the same time to lock and unlock. Do you guys have this too?

yup I have it too,,,
one of the things I like about it..

4) The battery cap, it builds some black residue on the threads of the battery cap over time. I cleaned it out last week, it's back again today. Not sure how much resistance this adds if any, but i guess it should be cleaned time to time?

5) The area around the 510 connection to secure the atomizer gets scratched easily. I've DIY a little washer off a carbon fibre sticker to prevent metal to metal contact between the atomizer & device. Do i need to do this? Will there be a possibility of a short if I don't?

no shorts I think,

6) What's the real batt voltage when the indicator just got empty? Idk, it still seems to charge pretty fast with the build in & the device gets a little warm. Is there a step-up going on when charging the batt?

not sure,but it gets warm when you try sub ohm builds on it...
now,i did try a 1ohm build like 15 wraps vpaing roughly @40-50watts,whihc technically is the same range if its a 0.3 ohm coil on mech...
results are the mod does not get warm,well it does a little but not as warm a=if its o sub ohm..
vape production is surprisingly better :)

Sorry if this is kinda overwhelming :

andrew1030

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for the confirmation! :) Idk about the step down tho. It seems that it might step down until 3.6V - whatever Watt that corresponds to for a given resistance, instead of dumping in a full 4.2V batt. But i really don't know, probably my senses fooling me, not good with the feeling & placebo thing :(

But, It's a really really nice mod! Simple & easy to use, has ample power, pretty efficient too I guess. Does it's job so well... Just wished it had the proper details on the manual or something :D

So, locking It is locking in the setting, so it won't change?
More of locking the trigger button so it doesn't fire accidentally. It's faster than turning off the device and turning it back on again. Not sure how's the battery hit when it's locked compared to completely off though.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
Thanks for the confirmation! :) Idk about the step down tho. It seems that it might step down until 3.6V - whatever Watt that corresponds to for a given resistance, instead of dumping in a full 4.2V batt. But i really don't know, probably my senses fooling me, not good with the feeling & placebo thing :(

Psssttt... It does NOT step-down. Stick an in-line volt meter on it; you'll see.

That is as true as crappy paint and crappy battery cap threads. Facts.

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila
IMG_20150422_005247.jpg quick question

how long does the screen stay on?(
I turned it on,did not vape,did not lock,just left it there,it dimmed after a few seconds...

if it stays on (dimmed) forever until I manually switch if off is it defective?
also the 510 looks like this??

is this ok???

Last edited:

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
...how long does the screen stay on?(
I turned it on,did not vape,did not lock,just left it there,it dimmed after a few seconds...

if it stays on (dimmed) forever until I manually switch if off is it defective?

Mine goes off after 60 seconds most of the time, but not all of the time. Sometimes it stays dim forever. If you click it quickly, like a mouse click, it goes off after 10 seconds. When it's off, a quick click makes it bright for 2 seconds. When it's off, a quick double click makes it bright for about 8 seconds. I've found no rhyme or reason on why it stays on (dim) forever sometimes. Buggy.

Ok... bad paint, bad battery cap, sloppy regulation, no buck, buggy firmware ...not recommended. But a low price a couple of months ago. I got mine for about $42 on a sale. Still...not recommended. I don't expect it to last very long.

dangaranga

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2015
Metro Detroit, MI
Atlantis 1 or 2? How many ohms? Are you aware that the IPV Mini II does not do step down? (At least what the community thinks)
So if you chuck a standard 0.5ohm BVC replacement in there, the lowest it can go with a fully charged 4.2V battery is about 35W. Setting it at 25-30W does nothing, it dumps battery direct w/o the regulation, but retains the protection I guess. The only time you can get 30W is when the batt drops below 3.8V. Again, assuming you have a .5 replacement on. Idk what's up with the sigelei tho, but if it works for you...:)

Well no .... sherlock. Im well aware. And if you actually understood batteries, these dont stay at 4.2v under load, especially just a single 18650.

And if you had some reading comprehension, you would have seen that it WORKS PERFECTLY FINE ON THE DUAL PARALLEL 18650 BOX MOD , which btw drops to around 3.9v under the stock .5ohm load from the atlantis coil.

The pos mini v2 burned the coils even with a low battery resting at 3.3v, care to elaborate on that one hoss?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Mine goes off after 60 seconds most of the time, but not all of the time. Sometimes it stays dim forever. If you click it quickly, like a mouse click, it goes off after 10 seconds. When it's off, a quick click makes it bright for 2 seconds. When it's off, a quick double click makes it bright for about 8 seconds. I've found no rhyme or reason on why it stays on (dim) forever sometimes. Buggy.

Ok... bad paint, bad battery cap, sloppy regulation, no buck, buggy firmware ...not recommended. But a low price a couple of months ago. I got mine for about $42 on a sale. Still...not recommended. I don't expect it to last very long.

I have beat the living hell out of mine and even with your Minor gripes. I'd take it at the price over most competing mods.....and I have a fist full.:D
Bad Paint - Yep - add a skin and be done for good.
Bad Battery cap - (3) IPV mini's, NO cap problems.
Sloppy Regulation - :blink: Mine seems fine and kicks azz:toast:
No Buck - Why buy 70w if looking for 10w?:confused:
Buggy Firmware - Possibly, maybe not - might be individual chip issues(might)

As for lasting - I have already dropped mine on hard surfaces several times and My wife has dropped hers breaking off the Protank tips 6 times in the last month:facepalm: Both still working perfectly fine.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Other than wattage, are there any differences in the mini 2 70w, and the mini 30w? I noticed in pics on MVS that the battery cap on the 70w mini is smoother looking, anything major in the differences of the two?
I only vape at around 9-10 watts, so don't need to go up any further in wattage than 30 watts.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
I have beat the living hell out of mine and even with your Minor gripes. I'd take it at the price over most competing mods.....and I have a fist full.:D

Bad Paint - Yep - add a skin and be done for good. Yep, got a skin on mine... only mod that I must put a skin on.

Bad Battery cap - (3) IPV mini's, NO cap problems. Lucky man. Common complaint.

Sloppy Regulation - :blink: Mine seems fine and kicks azz:toast: Set @ 8 watts... sometimes says 2.1Ω, sometimes 2.2Ω, sometimes says 4.1v, sometimes 4.2... firing at 4.35v per inline voltmeter. Eh... whatever. Similar inaccuracy at slightly higher wattage. No biggie, just sloppy.

No Buck - Why buy 70w if looking for 10w?:confused: For the form factor and for the flexibility. I like my Provari v1. It bucks down to 3.2 volts. It goes up to 6v. Why would I like a mod that goes that low/high when I never use it that low or that high?

Buggy Firmware - Possibly, maybe not - might be individual chip issues(might) Multiple posts in this thread describing problems. Good QC would mean they all act the same.

As for lasting - I have already dropped mine on hard surfaces several times and My wife has dropped hers breaking off the Protank tips 6 times in the last month:facepalm: Both still working perfectly fine.
And I'm hoping mine holds up as well. :toast:

My opinion is that all of us that have the IPV Mini 2 should use it in good health. Those that don't have one should consider spending their money on an alternative.

Last edited:

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
Other than wattage, are there any differences in the mini 2 70w, and the mini 30w? I noticed in pics on MVS that the battery cap on the 70w mini is smoother looking, anything major in the differences of the two?
I only vape at around 9-10 watts, so don't need to go up any further in wattage than 30 watts.

The 30w does have step-down regulation. Better suited for lower wattage vapers (like me).

But still, I think there are better alternatives in the same class. Just one person's opinion.

It's a nice shape and size, though.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I won't tag anyone on this, but simply say - It sounds like a few have purchased the Mini2 when the mini was the mod they were in need of - both in power and functionality.
For those times I want to vape at lower wattages, I pick up my IPV mini or one of my eVics.

I love the comparison of a $50 Mod to a Provari................ kind of makes me thing you pay for the extra you expect from the lesser.

Hers is a good question:
Is the Displayed Voltage the output voltage or the Voltage requested for the chip to output the wattage it is set for? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread