Is a mech mod worth the bother? I can blow clouds now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
I'm 3 months into this. I've got an SVD, MVP 2.0 and a LOT of other stuff. Even have a fogger V4 and a pair of Sony VTC5. But I'm lazy!!!! :) I'm trying to cut down on my nick level (went from 24mg to about 12mb-14mg so far already). I have like 25? EVOD and H2 tanks that all use the same simple kanger bottom coils and I rebuild them with cotton so they blow clouds at 1.5-1.9 ohm. Should I bother with a mech mod? I know they are cheap, but will it just be more hassle with no real advantage to me? I'm 55yo and getting off nicotine is attractive to me.

- Joe

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
Well you will definitely be able to drop your nicotine more with a dripper. You'll also notice that you've never blown clouds until you've run a strong dripper setup.

I hear drippers use more juice, but I got that covered big time. How does a dripper drop my nic level? Oh, you mean the level of the juice. I'm thinking Stingray and an Igo-??? thing, but I'm worried that a mech mod and bigger clouds will just get me more addicted. That's not where I'm trying to go.
- Joe

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
If you continue with 1.5-1.9Ω... there's no real advantage, as most any APV can handle that resistance with ease.

My goal when I started vaping was to someday be a normal person that doesn't blow clouds of anything. Then I got caught up in the "cool gear" thing and that did help me at least replace cigs. After 2.5 months I bought a pack if Marlboro Reds and tried one. There was no smoke or flavor. A cotton built EVOD kicks their ... in vapor and flavor. I think I need to give up on the cool gear factor now that I got the vape I want and just keep on keeping on, but cut down on the nic levels. Some day I won't be a smoke belching dragon. That sux a little, but it will also make me normal LOL. My 55th B'Day is tomorrow. It's taking me a long time to become normal, but I'm slow.
- Joe

dirty_luck

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
somewhere in the south
Using a dripper will somewhat make you cut down the nic level. It is a much stronger hit than a tank system will deliver. Just the nature of it. Consider it more efficient at delivering nicotine. Yes a well made tank set up will make a "cloud" but nothing comparable to a dripper and a mech. But if big clouds arent your thing thats ok. Get a dripper with adjustable airflow and turn it down. With a dripper you will be running in the 1 ohm and lower group usually so good batteries are a much. I.e. sony vtc 4 or 5. I used to do 12 mg nic in my tanks until I dripped. Immediately dropped that to 6 and that is plenty for me. Honestly thinking about going to 3mg. Its worth checking out and trying if you dont like it you can pretty well recoup your expenses pretty easily on mechs and drippers. And happy early birthday.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I hear drippers use more juice, but I got that covered big time. How does a dripper drop my nic level? Oh, you mean the level of the juice. I'm thinking Stingray and an Igo-??? thing, but I'm worried that a mech mod and bigger clouds will just get me more addicted. That's not where I'm trying to go.
- Joe

An RDA can 'make' the nicotine more potent (no, it's just more efficiently delivered) so you need less to get by. I was able to drop from 12mg to 3mg in a matter of a week with no adverse effects.

You can use a RDA on your current but you may not be happy with how it performs. They tend to get extremely hot with regulated mods, like my old spire. I would rather just use a tank if you stick with your regulated mods.

But vaping is an expression of personal preference. Do what makes you happy. If you feel you don't need to chuck 'bigger clouds' then don't change what your doing.

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
Mechanicals dont make more nic (or more efficient), the lower ohms and thicker wires you have to run because of the mech does.. Its unregulated and you need to go low on the ohms to get the wattage up.. If you have a 30w or 50w mod, you could do the same or more all day long with a higher ohm.

OP, if you are happy at what you run and the nic, flavor, and 'clouds' you do now, stay with it. Dont let anybody 'push' you into thinking you need to sub-ohm or use an unregulated mod. And you do not need a mech in order to drip. Get a decent dripper and use your regulated mods.. I'm currently liking the Origen v2 with a dual coil setup. Tastes awesome, has enough 'cloud', and is right at home on a regulated mod.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Mechanicals dont make more nic (or more efficient), the lower ohms and thicker wires you have to run because of the mech does.. Its unregulated and you need to go low on the ohms to get the wattage up.. If you have a 30w or 50w mod, you could do the same or more all day long with a higher ohm.

OP, if you are happy at what you run and the nic, flavor, and 'clouds' you do now, stay with it. Dont let anybody 'push' you into thinking you need to sub-ohm or use an unregulated mod. And you do not need a mech in order to drip. Get a decent dripper and use your regulated mods.. I'm currently liking the Origen v2 with a dual coil setup. Tastes awesome, has enough 'cloud', and is right at home on a regulated mod.

Right, I know. Is that what I said? No I said mech mod, my bad thats what I was trying to say, just lazy.. I was referring to the post about the drippers allowing you to cut nic levels. Silly mental lapse.

Last edited:

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
Mechanical is the way to go IMO. you don't need to subohm to enjoy them...in fact I've got a 1.4 dual coil on my magma atm and the flavor is unreal. I got over the clouds real quick, flavor is definitely better. Not to mention, as long as you maintain good battery safety and habits.. Your mech can last forever. I've got an assortment of gear but this baby is always with me... Everything else just collects dust!

8ydujunu.jpg
eqega5as.jpg

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Well you will definitely be able to drop your nicotine more with a dripper. You'll also notice that you've never blown clouds until you've run a strong dripper setup.

That is false information. Yes the OP will be able to drop the nicotine level of the juice he is using but HE will still get the same amount of nicotine in his system as the dripper will use more juice producing more vapor per draw delivering more nicotine in each draw.

It isn't about the juice % of nicotine you are using. It is about the amount you are taking into your system.

Same goes if I drop the nic % on my juice and vape 2-3-4 times more juice or vape continuously instead of every 5 to 10 minutes. I will still be getting the same amount of, or even more, nicotine in my system.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
I'm 3 months into this. I've got an SVD, MVP 2.0 and a LOT of other stuff. Even have a fogger V4 and a pair of Sony VTC5. But I'm lazy!!!! :) I'm trying to cut down on my nick level (went from 24mg to about 12mb-14mg so far already). I have like 25? EVOD and H2 tanks that all use the same simple kanger bottom coils and I rebuild them with cotton so they blow clouds at 1.5-1.9 ohm. Should I bother with a mech mod? I know they are cheap, but will it just be more hassle with no real advantage to me? I'm 55yo and getting off nicotine is attractive to me.

- Joe

In my opinion Mechs aren't worth the money, even the cheaper clones, or the hassle.

This seems to be a hot topic. At one point in time there wasn't much you could use other than a Mech if you wanted to sub-ohm using dual/quad coils. That has changed with the advent of all these higher wattage chipsets that are now available for regulated devices.

With any Mech you need special batteries. The vape changes constantly as the battery charge drops. They are best used with drippers (although now we will have people posting they use Mechs with tank atomizers. Fine, Whatever). There is no protection at all (Now we will have people posting they use a KICK. Well then it isn't a Mech anymore, it is regulated).

If you want off nicotine there is only one way to do that. Progressively lower your nicotine intake over a period of time. Using a device that delivers more vapor, and more nicotine along with that extra vapor, with each draw isn't the way to do that.

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
In my opinion Mechs aren't worth the money, even the cheaper clones, or the hassle.

This seems to be a hot topic. At one point in time there wasn't much you could use other than a Mech if you wanted to sub-ohm using dual/quad coils. That has changed with the advent of all these higher wattage chipsets that are now available for regulated devices.

With any Mech you need special batteries. The vape changes constantly as the battery charge drops. They are best used with drippers (although now we will have people posting they use Mechs with tank atomizers. Fine, Whatever). There is no protection at all (Now we will have people posting they use a KICK. Well then it isn't a Mech anymore, it is regulated).

If you want off nicotine there is only one way to do that. Progressively lower your nicotine intake over a period of time. Using a device that delivers more vapor, and more nicotine along with that extra vapor, with each draw isn't the way to do that.
IMO a metal tube and a fine battery (vtc5...far from special and usually 8.99) is a lot less of a hassle than chip boards failing, threads degrading, battery life lowering over time...

Like I said.. If you know what you're doing a mech can last forever. Not to mention a decent one paired with a rda/rba and some quality batteries can go a long way if you're looking to save money and get outta the gear hunt.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I fail to see why people feel the need to "blow clouds" to start with.

IMO theres something very fake about that much like people who used to smoke to look cool but didnt inhale.

I think thats where a lot of the opposition to cloud chasers stems from.

As an ex-smoker of 2 packs a day for 25 years, Im more worried about the quality of the vapor thats going into my lungs than impressing someone with my best imitation of a theatrical fog machine.

Just my :2c:

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If your goal is to gradually drop your nic levels until you can stop vaping, adding mechanical mods to your collection will not help. If anything, expanding one's collection is going to reinforce vaping as a lifestyle, as you have more money invested. As long as you continue to invest in vaping as a hobby, your likelihood of continuing to vape is very high.

I use both regulated and mechanical mods with similar resistance devices as yours and the actual vaping experience is pretty much the same.

Going to RDA's with lower resistance will likely result in lowering your nic while using more liquid, ending up with the same total amount of nic being consumed.

Gradually dropping your nic levels using what you have is the most effective way to move toward your goal. It has been done successfully by many who have been here, it's just that they may not come here much. The enjoyment of new stuff and the vaping community is almost as addictive as nicotine!

Good luck reaching your goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread