Mistake buying an SVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
I'm new. 3.5 weeks vaping. I have an MVP 2.0, eGo Mega V V2, lots of twists and stuff. I thought I'd get something beastly that would blow a cloud. So I ordered an SVD, a Fogger v4, and a pair of Sony VTC5 batteries. Then I read more. The SDV is limited to 5 amps. Will it give me significant more clouds than an MVP 2.0 and a cotton wicked Protank 2? I ordered some thicker Kanthal also, 25-26 or so, maybe both, and some 3.5mm silica. It hasn't even arrived yet, and I'm already looking at a Stingray. Your job is to tell me the SVD sux and I need a Stingray :p

- Joe

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
Are you familiar with Ohm's Law? If you are, you should know the answer. If not, you don't need a Stingray even if the SVD "sux" big time.

So why do people use 20-30 amp max RMS batteries? Can the SVD give them a workout? I got an electronics degree long ago from Elkin's Institute in Tulsa, OK so I'm good to go with Ohms law. The new ones on fasttech will fire a .8 Ohm coil. Nothing lower. Are you familiar with the SVD? I don't think the SVD "sux" big time. Is that your opinion?
- Joe

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Joe,

OK, you know Ohm's Law, so you know that with a .8 ohm coil, the most current you could ever draw from a 4.2 volt battery (which is what your batteries would be fresh off the charger) would be 5.25 amps on a mechanical mod - assuming zero voltage drop across your mod. You would also know that 5.25 amps exceeds the max of your SVD. I don't own an SVD so I can't be sure what would happen, but I would guess it would either: a) refuse to fire or b) fire but limit your current to 5 amps.

Getting to your original question:

I have several mechanical mods running 18650 batteries with RDAs. I wrap all of my coils at 1-1.5 ohms, and use cotton wicking. And even though I may not win a contest anytime soon, they produce a very satisfying amount of vapor. So in my case, let's say I'm using a dripper with a 1.2 ohm coil and a freshly charged battery - the most current I could possibly draw would be 3.5 amps, which is well within the safe operating limits of even a standard Efest battery.

The only time you need a high-performance battery would be if you are really pushing the envelope with sub-ohm coils on a mech mod. In fact, there is really no need to use high-performance batteries in a regulated mod - it's a waste of money IMO. Why use a battery rated at 30 amps in a mod that will NEVER pull more than 5 amps? It is completely unnecessary.

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
Thank you Sir. That's info I needed. Do I need a dripper, or will the Fogger be ok? Maybe I didn't need the fancy batteries I ordered. I have about 40 Samsung, Sanyo, Sony and Panasonic 18650s that rock from laptop pulls. I'm a reformed flashaholic. If I run 2 2.4 ohm coils on the fogger, then I'm at 1.2 ohms, but still driving two coils which will put me at 7.0 amps? Is that right? I'm only 3 weeks into this stuff and sometimes I read so much it gets to be a jumble.
- Joe

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I would never use pulled laptop batteries since you can never truly know what you are using. That's like playing Russian Roulette, IMO. Stick with your Sony batteries. Please.

The topper you use is completely preferential. I like dripping so I use RDAs or a Reo grand with a bottom feed RDA. Other than that I use catomizers, with and without a tank when I'm on the go or at work.

I'm not even sure how a Fogger is configured, so I can't answer any of those questions.

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
Ok, I'll figure it out. The Fogger is 3 post dual coil top with 4 holes for wick to tank. 2 air holes beneath the coils. Aqua clone? Want any carto stuff? I won a Fleabay auction that had a ton of carto tank stuff. Cartos, tanks, hole punches, lots of stuff I'll never use. All I know about my laptop pulls is they are ICR, but way better than any ???Fire batteries. Newer 2600mAH Samsung and such. I have 6 new Ultrafire? Trustfire cells that only charge to 4.08 or so. They are so bad. My laptop pulls are brand name and charge to 4.19 in my Nitecore i4 v2. You're in Detroit. I'm in Lansing.
- Joe

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The SVD won't fire over 15 watts, whatever you have the volts set to. Mine will fire coils down to 0.8 ohms, but only put out 3.4-3.5v even when I have it set higher (I have a subohm coil as I primarily use mechs nowadays). So, an SVD won't use even 5 amps. However, there's still a point with using batteries with high amp ratings. They have a better voltage curve, even at lower amp draws, which means that a 2600 mAh Sony vtc5 actually has more capacity in the useable voltage region than for example the Panasonic PD (2900 mAh) and even the 3400 mAh Panasonics.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
OG I own both and bought a Fogger V4 for my SVD today. The Stingray has a Magma on top of it and right now and the SVD has a Kayfun with an .8 omh coil which produces a great vape. I'm using the VTC5 and efest purples in the SVD and can vape all day YMMV.

It wasn't a mistake, it was another option. :)

reoV2.gif

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
The SVD won't fire over 15 watts, whatever you have the volts set to. Mine will fire coils down to 0.8 ohms, but only put out 3.4-3.5v even when I have it set higher (I have a subohm coil as I primarily use mechs nowadays). So, an SVD won't use even 5 amps. However, there's still a point with using batteries with high amp ratings. They have a better voltage curve, even at lower amp draws, which means that a 2600 mAh Sony vtc5 actually has more capacity in the useable voltage region than for example the Panasonic PD (2900 mAh) and even the 3400 mAh Panasonics.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ahhh, the answer I wanted! I *NEED* a Stingray to fire my new batteries to potential. And I probably *NEED* some kinda RBD thing like GpJoe uses. I will now have the perfect setup to demonstrate why "REAL" vaping is better than a BLU...:)
- Joe

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ahhh, the answer I wanted! I *NEED* a Stingray to fire my new batteries to potential. And I probably *NEED* some kinda RBD thing like GpJoe uses. I will now have the perfect setup to demonstrate why "REAL" vaping is better than a BLU...:)
- Joe

It's really the Sony VTCs providing the power.
I don't know what power they're supposed to work safely at but assuming 30 amps at 4 volts that 120 watts.
The max output of the MVP is 11 watts
The max output of the SVD is 15 watts.

If you get a common kick module and drop that in a mech, you still won't get the high power out of the vtc battery, so to get high power out the vtc battery you basically have to ---- go naked.

You could just use 15 watts to start and a dripper; then once you get that you step up from there.

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
Ok, you guys are beyond me now. I'll get what I get, and then be back with more questions. Maybe after I'm into this a bit more and figure out how to use what I got I can help someone else. Right now I'm buying new stuff as I read more. 3 weeks or so I probably have $250 worth of junk. I'm building coils and micro coils for protanks and such. The SVD and Fogger will up it a notch or 2, then the Stingray and an RBD. I'm climbing the ladder, but the brain needs to catch up..;) Thank you guys very much!
- Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread