Is it over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you can't personally get what you need (I will take you at your word that your two nearby house juicemakers have closed) you can certainly get online eliquid and there are tons of good companies.

If recent trends have you worried, you can certainly do what many others before you have done and learn to make your own e-liquid and even stockpile nicotine for the future if you want. Once you do that you become pretty self sufficient when it comes to eliquid, it's also a lot of fun, not as complicated as one might think and the variety available is almost infinite. After reading up some on the DIY forum ask any questions you have and someone will surely be willing to help out. If it seems overwhelming you can certainly start small, many DIY-ers do. I started with my few flavors and one liter of nic, some VG and some measuring stuff. You'll need to find a good juice calculator that you can use, too.

Annna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's not clear, but they are fully into disposables. Rebuildables are probably in their future as long as they can control their product to ensure that parts and supplies they sell are only compatible with their product and the overall cost of use is competitive.

Tobacco Companies Taking Over the E-Cigarette Industry | HuffPost
This article mentions three product lines owned by BT:
VUSE, MarkTen, and Vype.
Vype has never been a significant player in the US market.
VUSE and MarkTen are getting their clocks cleaned by an independent, Juul, which is not owned by BT.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Philip Morris is not owned by Philip Morris
They were purchased by a conglomerate called warner-lambert. I believe later on they were absorbed by General Foods.
We ain't fighting Philip Morris anymore we're fighting a conglomerate.
Huh?

Philip Morris (USA) is owned by Altria. Altria did own a controlling interest in Kraft Foods at one point, but sold it off roughly 10 years ago. What non-tobacco products does Altria sell now?

Warner-Lambert was a drug company that ended up being bought by Pfizer. I can find no connection between them and Philip Morris. If you can, please post some kind of corroborating link.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Ach, my manners! On a more practical note, OP, you can also buy a small quantity of 100mg nic juice and add a drop or two to the juice you can buy to boost the nic content.

It takes more than a drop or two.
Say you had 30ml of 10mg you wanted to be 18mg. With 100mg base it would take almost 3ml to get it there.

I started out afraid of using 100mg to mix with until I started doing the math to see how slight variations of a drop or two +/- changed the strength (to counter the ANTZ claims of over powered eliquids made in store). Any reasonable screw up measuring is not enough to worry about. To change that 10mg to 11mg you have to add .34ml which is more than any measuring mistake I'd make.
If the claims by the ANTZ were true it had to be by using the wrong base or base that was marked wrong.

The 10% addition to get 10mg to 18mg probably would change the flavor level. Since many liquid makers over flavor that might work out. If not and there's room in the style/hardware changing those could help.

If we went all Euro on nicotine levels it would be a bad thing for newly switched who need higher nicotine levels.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Huh?

Philip Morris (USA) is owned by Altria. Altria did own a controlling interest in Kraft Foods at one point, but sold it off roughly 10 years ago. What non-tobacco products does Altria sell now?

Warner-Lambert was a drug company that ended up being bought by Pfizer. I can find no connection between them and Philip Morris. If you can, please post some kind of corroborating link.
Yeah I thought it was something like that thanks for the clarification

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
no its not over until we, the vapers say it is.
In that case the answer is "Never", or at least not until I'm dead and gone. :)

ok, simplistic, but i really believe this no matter who owns what tobacco company.
TBH, I don't really care who sells vape stuff as long as it's readily available and effective. I don't hate BT. I bought their products willingly for 36 years, and I knew cigarettes were bad for me before I ever bought my first pack.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Silly me; I run an ad blocker.

Is that the one they're giving away for $1.00 'cause they can't get anyone to buy them any other way? ;)
They were when it just came on the market. Now they have a 25% off deal.

I asked a couple of the guys at the cash register at my local bodega and 7/11, and they tell me Juul's sell more than the other brands combined, but this new Blu pod is beginning to cut a little into their sales. The pods are a little bit cheaper, but the battery is a lot cheaper than Juul.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Don't know if that counts but there's also this... Vyse? Vøse? Vuse? cigalike-pod-system.
It's so extremely overpriced and rippy-offy that probably nobody bought it, ever. Maybe that one guy that also bought the Zune :lol:
To me, the true cig-a-like things don't count as "pod systems". But looking at the VUSE site, it seems they do sell some things now that might qualify.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Juul has a 68% market share in the cigalike and pod market, and is valued at 16 billion dollars!

E-Cigarette Maker Juul Labs Is Raising $1.2 Billion

Popular e-cigarette Juul's sales have surged almost 800 percent over the past year
Yup. But again, they're not BT. In fact, I would think that BT despises them for having come up with the product that decimated BT's market share in this category.

I also wonder just how rational a valuation of $16B is for a company with revenues that are well under $1B. OK, they do have a patent on nic salts, but so far, I've seen no evidence that they're intending to enforce it.

The one thing we can be reasonably confident of: They've got the resources to file PMTAs...

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Yup. But again, they're not BT. In fact, I would think that BT despises them for having come up with the product that decimated BT's market share in this category.

I also wonder just how rational a valuation of $16B is for a company with revenues that are well under $1B. OK, they do have a patent on nic salts, but so far, I've seen no evidence that they're intending to enforce it.

The one thing we can be reasonably confident of: They've got the resources to file PMTAs...

Yes, i know they're not BT, and i wouldn't care if they were. I know people who couldn't/wouldn't quit smoking using the open systems we do, but did using the Juul, and i'm happy for them.

I wouldn't call $943m yearly sales "well under $1B" though. To me that's very nearly $1B, and at the rate they're growing, it will soon be well above $1B. Their market share has been going up every time Nielsen reports sales figures. They have gone from zero to 68% in less than three years! And given that the cigalike/pod market is at least $2B a year, based on Junes market share of 70%, they're already at $1.4B annual sales (probably even higher, since Nielsen only tracks convenience store sales), even if their market share and/or total sales doesn't increase, which seems unlikely.

And yes, not only do they have the resources to file PMTA's, they've been working on it for a good while.

Last edited:

tym64

Jul 30, 2017
Eh, until they get this all sorted out, and see how it plays out, I simply gave it some serious thought, and went at it at a different angle. No way I want vaping to replace smoking, So giving the patch a shot, with some 6 mg juice I have around. Im at day three, im on the first step, and use the 6 mg to keep my self in check. I was a horrible almost chain smoker. I have maybe hit the vape machine a total of 3 or 4 times for one hit in three days.

Also picked up Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking, and youtubing some stuff. Its really working out way better than vaping. I just found vaping to much of a pain with the juice, this, that, mods, batteries, bla bla bla. Seems like this way is working out the best for me. My goal is to get away from being chained to vaping, and cigs. So.........have to see how this all works out. Could be the method that finally works.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yes, i know they're not BT, and i wouldn't care if they were. I know people who couldn't/wouldn't quit smoking using the open systems we do, but did using the Juul, and i'm happy for them.
Exactly! If a product works and gets more people to put down combustible cigs, it doesn't matter who makes it.

I wouldn't call $943m yearly sales "well under $1B" though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that this was a retail sales figure. If that's correct, Juul's revenues are substantially less because they're only getting paid whatever they're wholesaling the product for.

And of course the trouble with being "king of the hill" in terms of market share because you made a superior product is that others will come along with similar products, especially if the margins are good. This is already happening. See Mylé as just one example. Anyway, I think a $16B valuation for Juul as a business is irrationally speculative. For that to be reasonable, they would have to be making ~$1B in profits, which they're clearly a long way from doing.

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
It's time to learn to make ejuice at home. Check out some of the DIY forums here for details. You can make a bottle of juice for as low as 65 cents, according to those who have done the calculations.

DIY E-Liquid
Yes you can easily make a bottle for $.65, I haven’t bought juice at a shop in near 2 years, I’ve won juice in giveaways but that’s the only store produced juice I’ve had in those 2 years , hell I even won half my mods and mechs in giveaways lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread