Is it over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tym64

Jul 30, 2017
Well, now what? Cant buy vape juice from places that make there own, so that puts two of my local shops out of luck, third, not sure what they will have to offer any more?

Are we seeing the end of vaping and the big tobacco company's win? Or am I wrong?

Not sure what to make of the entire FDA mess. I was on 18 nic content, Now that place that could make it cant, not even sure the higher nic content vape juice will be an option?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Cant buy vape juice from places that make there own
Why do you say that?

My impression is that if they've registered their products/recipes with the FDA, there's good to go until the PMTA deadline, which was originally this coming Wednesday, 2018-08-08, but has been extended by four years.

Both the places that I used to buy house juice from still make and sell their own.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
You are not seeing the end of vaping, but BT is "winning" by moving into the vape arena. This is not surprising, they control most of the world's tobacco supply, and that's still the easiest way to get naturally grown (as opposed to chemically synthesized) nicotine. I guess it depends on how you define winning, doesn't it? No, BT isn't going to dry up and blow away (or light themselves on fire and burn up, perhaps a more fitting metaphor). But they are selling fewer cigarettes and more vape juice. Isn't that a victory for vapers too?

Neither should you overly concern yourself with the FDA. Foreign suppliers, DIY and smuggling all still exist.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Well, now what? Cant buy vape juice from places that make there own, so that puts two of my local shops out of luck, third, not sure what they will have to offer any more?

Are we seeing the end of vaping and the big tobacco company's win? Or am I wrong?

Not sure what to make of the entire FDA mess. I was on 18 nic content, Now that place that could make it cant, not even sure the higher nic content vape juice will be an option?

It's time to learn to make ejuice at home. Check out some of the DIY forums here for details. You can make a bottle of juice for as low as 65 cents, according to those who have done the calculations.

DIY E-Liquid

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Huh? How much of the overall vape market does BT have?
Not a lot right now, I judge, but AFAIK there aren't any statistics either way. Whatever they have, they are undoubtedly improving their market position with their pod systems. My reference, rather, was making the point they control the lion's share of the tobacco crop, and this crop is purchased by the chemists who make the nicotine used in ejuices. Be very sure they are pocketing part of the profit thereby.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ach, my manners! On a more practical note, OP, you can also buy a small quantity of 100mg nic juice and add a drop or two to the juice you can buy to boost the nic content.
It should probably be done a bit more precisely than just adding a drop or two, but yes, this is eminently feasible.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Now not much.... but lots more than they were 5 years ago... 5 years from now Philip Morris and friends may be ONLY source for juice.

FDA just has to require batch testing.... only the BIG companies will be able to afford to make juice.

It's why there is only a big 3 car makers instead of hundreds. And China is manufacturer of the world. Regulations benifits the regulator and big companies only.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Not a lot right now, I judge, but AFAIK there aren't any statistics either way. Whatever they have, they are undoubtedly improving their market position with their pod systems.
What pod system, currently on the market, is from BT?

My reference, rather, was making the point they control the lion's share of the tobacco crop, and this crop is purchased by the chemists who make the nicotine used in ejuices. Be very sure they are pocketing part of the profit thereby.
My impression was that almost all the nicotine we use originates in India and China. Also, the value of that nicotine, at wholesale prices, is nothing more than a rounding error in BT's revenues.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Now not much.... but lots more than they were 5 years ago...
Actually, I think BT has a smaller market share now than they did then.

5 years from now Philip Morris and friends may be ONLY source for juice.
Perhaps. But the OP's question was phrased in the present tense.

Regulations benifits the regulator and big companies only.
Agreed. But at present, regulations haven't had much effect, because the FDA kicked the PMTA deadline four years down the road and doesn't seem to have any enthusiasm for enforcing most of the rest of the Deeming at this time either (the only apparent excepting being underage sales).

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Not Disagreeing with you.

But what happens when we get to the current PMTA DDD (Drop Dead Date)? Or if the Person in the Oval Office changes in 2020?

Just like this FDA Commissionaire changed what the Last One wanted to do. Can't the Next FDA Commissionaire do the Same?

And if Majorities Flip in the Senate or the House or Both, doesn't that Open a Path for Legislation that No FDA Commissionaire could Ignore?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
What pod system, currently on the market, is from BT?

My impression was that almost all the nicotine we use originates in India and China. Also, the value of that nicotine, at wholesale prices, is nothing more than a rounding error in BT's revenues.
I haven't made a study of it, my friend. Let's assume you're correct.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I was on 18 nic content, Now that place that could make it cant, not even sure the higher nic content vape juice will be an option?

There are still some US vendors online who sell it, (like the 1 above). But 2 options to make sure you can always vape whatever nic mg eliquid you want to, are: 1) make your own eliquid at home, or 2) buy some nic base (most people use the 100mg/mL), so you can add some of it to whatever eliquid you buy, to change it to 18mg. Either option is pretty simple to do, and there are lots of people on the DIY Eliquid Forum that can answer any questions you may have about it.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Not Disagreeing with you.

But what happens when we get to the current PMTA DDD (Drop Dead Date)? Or if the Person in the Oval Office changes in 2020?

Just like this FDA Commissionaire changed what the Last One wanted to do. Can't the Next FDA Commissionaire do the Same?

And if Majorities Flip in the Senate or the House or Both, doesn't that Open a Path for Legislation that No FDA Commissionaire could Ignore?
Nobody can accurately predict what will happen in the future. I offer the the past and the present as evidence. ;)

That said, there is certainly a strong possibility that existing regulations or new legislation will change the industry as we've come to know it at some point in the future. But this hasn't happened yet. So the answer to the question in the title of this thread is: "No, it isn't over yet."

And if a person is opposed to buying their harm-reduction products from BT, or merely opposed to paying "sin taxes" on them (as I am), there is a solution: Stock up on nic base now and learn to make your own juice.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread