Is it really risky to own a full mech mod without any circuit protections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    This is the best battery protection you can get.
    8253834-x-ray-human-brain.jpg

Bad's battery wouldn't have vented if he had unscrewed the tank a little, or locked out the switch (no electrical contact). Unfortunatlly we have to "think" in order to do things like that. Venting is the result of over heating, that's why so many PV's have a 10 second cut off, or thermo protection, etc,etc. Mechanicals don't have those things. Both of my mechanicals have a lockout on the switch, but they only work if I remember to use them.

Personally I worry far more about a battery problem on a charger than I do in a mechanical mod.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Ok. I checked a Youtube video on how to tell if my battery is protected. It seems like my 18650 is not protected. Please take a look battery experts if my batt is protected or not. I'm going to return this to the seller if this isn't protected because I specifically told him that I want the protected one!

FmCzmfU.jpg

I can't feel the PCB in the negative side of the battery..

That appears to be a Panasonic CGR18650CH battery, which uses hybrid chemistry that avoids possible explosion, much like an IMR battery. Those types are considered "safer" because of that chemistry as well as their high drain design, which doesn't stress the battery as much under load. That type doesn't come with a PCB because there is no potential explosion to protect you from, just heat and possibly gas venting. They are pretty highly regarded in the vaping community. I use them in mechanical mods, with or without a fuse.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread