Is it safe to use any mini USB charger with a passthrough battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I use both the USB to mini USB that came with a backup drive & a Motorola cell phone charger that has the same USB mini on my ego pass through device. Both works as good or better than the flimsy USB to mini USB that came with the device.

Also, many dollar/discount stores carries a regular sized AC to USB connector, a small adapter that cost $2-$3, I use this with the original cable, this also works good.

However my best results are with the first cable that I mentioned (USB to mini USB), connected to a USB 3.0 port on my desktop. USB 3.0 isn't only faster than USB 2.0, but also has better charging properties.

If the cable given to you has the same connection, only longer & thicker, it'll be no problem. You'll likely get a better charge rate over the stock one, not a lot, but some. Some of the extra thickness is due to the cable jacket (the wire covering), it's thicker to prevent interference & a more steady connection. Those are also more heat resistant.

My ego device is one of the cheaper ones & has lasted for months, since late November 2013, so far I haven't had an issue with it.

However keep in mind that if you upgrade to other types of ego batteries, there will be warnings NOT to use iPhone chargers & any unapproved ones. These are more likely the ones that charges though the same threads as the ego tanks does & in general are more costly than pass through mods. Be sure to follow any instructions with these, as the warranty (if any) will be voided.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread