Is it true that newer Samsung 30Q's don't have any markings on the body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Don’t think the colour of the wrap is enough to identify whether a cell is legit or not – especially when comparing from a picture where lighting and colour processing of the camera can influence the result. As @Hawise has mentioned, if there is not something strikingly different between the 2 cells, such as 4 prongs vs 3, the only way to confirm would be through objective measurements – and that requires a certain skill set and expensive equipment. Also can’t comment on the Ebay sellers actions – logically I would want the cell back for confirmation but perhaps they feel it is not worth the efforts. The unfortunate reality is even if you do leave a remark on the eBay’s sellers account, people are still going to buy from them based on price. And any comment you make the seller could counter comment and say you did not provide proof….which subjectively you haven’t (no offence!).

Azn2101

Nov 2, 2018
Maybe there's a difference between button top (which I have) and flat top batts. On the website it's listed as a 15A batt and I use it in a Provari and the batt I have pushes slightly below 3A the way I use it.

Since you bought from Liion I think its fair to say these are authentic but in all the videos and posts refarding fake samsung 25r's/30q's iv3 never read about that type of top. When was that one purchased? IDK what my device actually needs cause it hasn't arrived yet and it's actually an aromatherapy device so its not really for this forum (more FC but i was referred here for the Mod/Atomizer/Authenticity of the Batteries) but the device ia the TUBO eVic. On its home site lamart.ch in the manual/faq ot has a list of acceptable batteries for it but it's not updated to the absolute newest batteries like the 20s (yet, hes pretty good at keeping the site current.) But since the 30q is the batt. you can buy from him I figured it was he best option but thats just his opinion for his style of vaping. More people find the VTC series seem to be just as handy with TUBO devices but my point is that im not sure if i need a 15a CDR or a 20a cause the specs say "Samsung 30q: 15a (20a [<that # I dont understand]) 3000mAh cause i don't want to send this device back and forth to Sweden if i dont treat it right. But back on topic.

Azn2101

Nov 2, 2018
Don’t think the colour of the wrap is enough to identify whether a cell is legit or not – especially when comparing from a picture where lighting and colour processing of the camera can influence the result. As @Hawise has mentioned, if there is not something strikingly different between the 2 cells, such as 4 prongs vs 3, the only way to confirm would be through objective measurements – and that requires a certain skill set and expensive equipment. Also can’t comment on the Ebay sellers actions – logically I would want the cell back for confirmation but perhaps they feel it is not worth the efforts. The unfortunate reality is even if you do leave a remark on the eBay’s sellers account, people are still going to buy from them based on price. And any comment you make the seller could counter comment and say you did not provide proof….which subjectively you haven’t (no offence!).

None taken =) friendly convo and I'm very grateful that you've taken the time and others even splitting their new 30q's SHOUT OUT TO @My Batt Hurts for the testing of new 30Q body ID #'s. If you would like I can cash app/Paypal you $5 for your help. Ya you're probably right but for the 1/100 that check like I did it might make that difference but for sure people are like water, they flow to the path of least resistance (or less $$ in this case) but I still would feel wrong if I didn't warn people that it COULD be a fake since @Hawise pointed out i'd be really if not almost impossible to test if their fakes outside of a lab or with thousands in equipment so I cant put down that they're indeed fake cause I really dont know and that would be unfair to assume.

So lets say my device arrives before my VTC5A's. What would happen if I put in the possible fake 30q's and the device tries to pull 15a (or 20a) from this "30q"? Would it show "low batt" or damage the device or battery (if so does it damage the device or the battery.)

Azn2101

Nov 2, 2018
20181104_080852.jpg The possible fake Samsung 30q's first half/side to un wrapped battery (washer up)

20181104_080939.jpg Shell & 2nd side (washer down on other side now to show nothing on body)

And just for s$&ts and giggles heres what I believe to be a miracle vape cause its so beat up and still works

1541348332476-1667136368.jpg screw broke off while still tightened so I cant but a new door lol

1541348441908-1239782444.jpg screen has a few cracks but all pixels work.
20181104_080939.jpg
20181104_080852.jpg
1541348332476-1667136368.jpg
1541348441908-1239782444.jpg

Azn2101

Nov 2, 2018
The wrap looks identical to my pink Sammy 30Q's, not about to remove my wraps to see the naked cell. Again, it’s hard to identify based on pictures alone. But will say your mod looks like it has seen better days – you may want to clean those battery contacts

I understand and yeah It definitely needs a nice light sandpappering.

Again though, since @My Batt Hurts already unwrapped a fairly new 30q and confirmed that there was text/#'s on the cell itself.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I understand and yeah It definitely needs a nice light sandpappering.

Again though, since @My Batt Hurts already unwrapped a fairly new 30q and confirmed that there was text/#'s on the cell itself.

Just pulled the wrap off one of mine – it has similar lot markings as depicted in Mooch’s test, which I believe is a model and date code. Also with Mooch’s test, you can see where the top cap was fixed to the rest of the cell – again mine mimics this but yours seem to be a lot smoother.

Last edited:

Azn2101

Nov 2, 2018
Just pulled the wrap off one of mine – it has similar lot markings as depicted in Mooch’s test, which I believe is a model and date code. Also with Mooch’s test, you can see where the top cap was fixed to the rest of the cell – again mine mimics this but yours seem to be a lot soother.

Ok thats a key piece right there, the top postio. Of mine has a rather deep divot all the way around where yours is more of a slanted v shake. Just as the guy at Fry's said this is Probably a really good fake and what ill do is make a claim against the return (even though all went well) and attach this picture of real ones next to mine so they can decide what actions need to be taken. Thank you for your sacrifice. I very much appreciate this test and couldn't ask anymore of a person. This to me is rather alarming though as it took a collaboration of people and their knoledge to identify that this was indeed a fake as to in the videos on YT it seems you can point out a fake a mile away. Now it seems that even up close and personal is the only way to really find out past the normal expensive research methods.

Thank you so much.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
This to me is rather alarming though as it took a collaboration of people and their knoledge to identify that this was indeed a fake
Nothing was identified as a fake. Samsung may have more than one factory. They may have changed the production process. There may be other reasons this cell looks like this and is still authentic. Other people unwrapping their cells doesn't tell much if we don't know when they were manufactured (a popular battery manufacturing date lookup tool doesn't work for the 30Q).

The only way to come close to determine if it's a fake is by measuring its behavior and nobody can do that over the interwebs.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Nothing was identified as a fake. Samsung may have more than one factory. They may have changed the production process.

This I would agree with – different factories could produce different results. But my understanding is the codes on the metal depict date, model and some manufacturing identifiers. Below was taken from a Samsung 15Q battery data sheet. I have not found what the 30Q codes represent for they could be different. But if Samsung was using different factories, they need to identify that.

Lot marking : There are two lines on the cell metal can as follows.

Line 1 : 1128:
  • 1st digit: line number ( “1” means Line No. 1)
  • 2nd~3rd digit: Model Name (“12” is INR18650-15Q)
  • 4th digit: Year ( “8” is 2008)

Line 2 : 4E1C5:
  • 1st digit: Month ( “4” is Apr. ; A is Oct., B is Nov., C is Dec)
  • 2nd digit: Date (“E” is 15th day ; 1, 2 is 2... , 10 is A, 11 is B…)
  • 3rd digit: Serial No. of winding
  • 4th digit: Reel No ( “C” is C reel ; A is A reel, B is B reel, ... F is Freel)
  • 5th digit: Winding Machine No. ( “1” is No.1 winder)

Azn2101

Nov 2, 2018
Nothing was identified as a fake. Samsung may have more than one factory. They may have changed the production process. There may be other reasons this cell looks like this and is still authentic. Other people unwrapping their cells doesn't tell much if we don't know when they were manufactured (a popular battery manufacturing date lookup tool doesn't work for the 30Q).

The only way to come close to determine if it's a fake is by measuring its behavior and nobody can do that over the interwebs.

No your right. I think a better way to put it is that it took more than what the videos of spotting fake 30q's said it would take. They still could be legitimate but I think thats why sending the matter up the chain to a company that has the capital to test this issue if deemed necessary or it spikes their interest (lets say it lands in the inbox of an Ebay employee who vapes or uses 18650's for RC cars or things of the like, it's more likely he'll be more interested in the matter than maybe someone who has no personal use or experience with 18650's or any format other than the basic formats everyone knows [AA, AAA, D cell, Ect.]) As I watched in a comparison video with @Mooch as a guest as time goes on the more popular the battery = the more clones and fakes are going to be produced to meet the demands. In this case I dont know for sure so I can't honestly post anything other than the picture from PID's confirmed real 30q's to the batteries he sent me with a review of the "possibility of being fake batteries" and send the unboxing video to Ebay with the photos.

Its alarming to me because the line (or signs) to tell what are real batteries and fake batteries is so thin (much harder to indefinitely tell fakes apart.) I do agree though, I don't know for sure and I misspoke by saying that statement but am not on a witch hunt for the guy, its just as I said, alarming. My bad.

Reactions: untar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread