Is it Typical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@Kati, I started vaping at 24mg nic strength. I was a 2 PAD smoker. By the end of the first week I found myself smoking about 6 cigs a day. That made me realize that vaping was working. I continued doing that for almost a year and one day I just didn't buy another pack of cigs. I could have dropped the cigs much sooner, but I just didn't realize that.

Vape and smoke for a while and periodically start to eliminate one of your cigarettes here and there and see how it works for you. Eventually, you will realize that you don't need them. Vape more often if the urge hits. Try some higher nic juice. 18mg is a good place to start, but for me 24mg did the trick.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are generally determined by how much you smoked, and are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg​

Should you choose to use a sub-ohm juice attachment (coil less than 1.0 ohm); drop the above recommendations by half.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think I read at some point that the inventor of the e-cig smokes the occasional cigarette now and then.

It really depends on your expectations. When ecigs were fairly new, I quit for 6 weeks, but I'm a stress smoker and went back to work full time and back to smoking. I would periodically vape, and that meant I was vaping when I couldn't smoke and only then, pretty much. I wasn't really trying to quit at that point just reduce my cigarettes.

This time around incipient COPD was kind of the driving force. It still took me time to reduce, and it took time to get to my first cigarette free day, but that was my goal, and I eventually achieved it. I fell of the wagon rather hard after my year anniversary and that was harder because my lungs had recovered and etc., but with ECF's help I was able to get away from cigarettes again, although I'm not sure how confident I am in putting up a quit banner just now.

However, different situations for different folks. Some folks smoke one or two cigarettes a day for a LONG time as they move toward quitting and some final, precipitating event makes the switch.

You certainly have to want to get to zero cigarettes to achieve it, and if that is your goal, well, I'm sure you will get there in time.

You may have to experiment with some things, for me this situation (since you clearly don't seem to be lacking nicotine, even at low levels and you weren't a heavy smoker) just cries out for Whole Tobacco Alkaloid juice, which I won't say a ton about, but they're basically substances in tobacco besides nicotine (MAOI-As and -Bs) that are responsible for a feeling of satiation and enjoyment and well, they can be somewhat key to some people when they transition. Because there is no combustion involved, WTA is definitely safer than smoking, it really is. Do not be deceived, tar is actually an MAOI in its own right (per an NIH study) so you will still detox and it will still feel difficult. I'm glad I used it as I transitioned it definitely helped with the sensation of "I want to chew through my own arm or someone else's" that hit me at about 3 pm every day.

Everyone responds to them differently, but it might be worth a try Manufacturers in order of price AND efficacy are Aroma eliquid, Umbavapes/Ohm's vapes, and Mother's milk, which looks and tastes exactly like dirt, if you ask me. I would NOT start with MM, but that's me.

Best of luck, and certainly a great deal of what you are experiencing is normal. I know some magical mythical unicorn vapers who took their first puff and rode off into the sunset, but I was most definitely NOT one of them.

Good luck! Keep up the hard work and it is HARD WORK. :)

Anna

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
All sorts of really useful posts in this thread.
I vaped and smoked for a month before I had my last cigarette.
A friend is into week 7 or 8 and doesnt look like having her last cigarette yet but has gotten down to 12 cigs a day instead of 36-40.
I think her effort and drive is remarkable. I admire how far she has bought herself forward in this.
Only advice I can offer is to let it all happen naturally and at a speed that works for you and to keep moving forward with it.

santo19586

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Saint Cloud FL
at the time i started to vape , i was fed up with the awful taste of smoking , i started with 24mg of nic in juices , with a cig alike gizmo,.
kept my nose glued to this forum and learned alot more ,
your doing ok Kati , just keep trying to quit the
ciggys , and Cograts to ya:rickroll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread