Is it worth a change to cartos?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PtrG

Nov 23, 2013
Austin TX
​About 2 years into vaping, currently using MVP and VV3 with Protank 2, mini and Evods. Generally pleased but wondering if cartos in tank would increase flavor without a lot more hassle without breaking bank to experiment. Currently rebuild atties with cotton.
Please include brand/model if offering suggestion to try. Oh, using mostly 60/40 or 50/50 pg/vg juices with preferences toward coffee related flavors. Still looking for ultimate peach juice . . .
thanks to all for a great forum!

txcolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Plano, TX
I love the carto tanks and have been pleased with the switch to them. There is a learning curve with them like anything, but the end results have been great. Flavor is good and they are the most reliable consistent vape I have found. I use the 22mm XL IBTanked and started with it on an MVP. I use the 3.2 ohm, single coil Smoktech XL size cartos and they have been great. If you order 10 or more from IBTanked you get them for about 1.50 a piece.

The key to cartos is in the initial setup. If you don't prime well you are not going to be happy. That is another reason I like the IBTanked. You can prime your cartos in the provided thingy and life is not only good but easy as well. Be sure and get the refilling tool as it will save your o-rings down the line.

Plenty of info on the forums in the carto sub forum.

Cartomizers

Saltraker

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hannibal, Missouri
Cartos by themselves or sitting a tank (I have a few IBT tanks) provide some of the best flavor, TH, and vapor (depending on the liquid). Yes, they seem a little old school and might prove to be fiddly at first, but the learning curve is fairly shallow. By all means, get a few cartos and try them out. I use Boge 1.5 ohms and use them on both my regulated and mechanical mods. No issues with PG/VG ratios, but I punch my own cartos. Give 'em a try!

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
Carto tanks is all I use here lately. I dedicate one tank to each bottle of juice and I can usually get a 30 ml bottle through them before I toss it. I have several IBtanked ones but I also have several of these....Pro DCTank Tube They have always worked great for me and its a cheap way to see if you like them or not.

I use Boge 2.0 ohm cartos. I use the cartos on their own at the moment, no tank. I haven't tried any other brand of cartomizer because I heard very good things about the Boges and they've worked so well for me. They produce great flavour and throat hit but I'd say the best thing is consistency, forget any of the usual issues that might arise with clearomizers like dry hits, flooding, gurgling, leaking, general nonsense. You'll get a dry hit if you run the carto completely dry obviously, it might leak if you overfill it but other than that you will just get a guaranteed great hit off of it every time, even if you chain vape, like me :).

I do find that thinner liquids work best in Boges, I mainly use an 80PG/20VG liquid in my cartos.

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I like cartotanks - while I got good performance from Protanks, I find a carto has better flavor, less "fiddling" once you find a good setup, and more flexibility to run different power settings.

For like $30, you can get an IBTanked tank and a few Boge cartos - and if you DON'T like it, the IBtank will sell in the classifieds, too...
They're the best lower-priced tanks.

I found cheaper tanks don't work well - they must leak air, and effect the carto's wicking. I have some that cost a lot more, but the IBTanked worked fine - I'm paying for aesthetics mostly...

The only tricky part is "priming" a carto - there are a few methods, but "Fiddle with your Thingy" works well.
After that, it's pretty trouble-free good vaping until you need a new carto - and that's typically a fair bit longer than you'd get from a ProTank coil...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
​About 2 years into vaping, currently using MVP and VV3 with Protank 2, mini and Evods. Generally pleased but wondering if cartos in tank would increase flavor without a lot more hassle without breaking bank to experiment. Currently rebuild atties with cotton.
Please include brand/model if offering suggestion to try. Oh, using mostly 60/40 or 50/50 pg/vg juices with preferences toward coffee related flavors. Still looking for ultimate peach juice . . .
thanks to all for a great forum!

One of the good things about cartos is compatibility; you can get cartos from smoktech, ikenvapes or boge.
With the typical clearo, the atomizer for one clearo won't work in another clearo, so if that company starts having quality control issues you end up with bad replacement coils; a lot of the problems with clearos is with the coil.

With cartos at least you have some alternatives.

Also, with respect to taste, the typical clearo uses silica wick; cartos use something else; unfortunately can't really say what is it chemically, and of course a manufacturer can change the material on you without notice, but I've never heard any complaints about the taste.

Last edited:
I said no to carto tanks because I don't want to spend a fortune on cartos.

Yeah that is one thing I forgot to mention, cost can be a down side I suppose. A 5 pack of XXL Boges cost me £6.50 ($11) and I get a 5 pack of Aspire BDC coils for £10 ($17). The Aspire coils might last me 3 months but the 5 pack of Boges might only last me maybe 1 month. So bearing in mind those are rough estimates of time and taking into account the price of both that makes the cartos about twice as expensive as the Aspire coils. But I'm managing to get my cartos to last longer, it's possible to get them to last up to 3 weeks if you fully saturate them before first use and top them up regularly.

Ptrg, here is some info about single coil / dual coil cartos that was posted to help me:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartomizers/546489-xl-xxl-cartomizers.html#post12713749

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Yeah that is one thing I forgot to mention, cost can be a down side I suppose. A 5 pack of XXL Boges cost me £6.50 ($11) and I get a 5 pack of Aspire BDC coils for £10 ($17). The Aspire coils might last me 3 months but the 5 pack of Boges might only last me maybe 1 month. So bearing in mind those are rough estimates of time and taking into account the price of both that makes the cartos about twice as expensive as the Aspire coils. But I'm managing to get my cartos to last longer, it's possible to get them to last up to 3 weeks if you fully saturate them before first use and top them up regularly.

Ptrg, here is some info about single coil / dual coil cartos that was posted to help me:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartomizers/546489-xl-xxl-cartomizers.html#post12713749

hmm that sounds odd;
I expect you rewick the Aspire coils, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread