Is there a checklist for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks Ladie - But my order from Wizard Labs is already on it's way, so I'm looking for something local.

Can anyone tell me if this look like the right thing: Heritage Store.Vegetable Glycerin | Walgreens
It does seem kind of expensive though.

Yeah, that's expensive. Also, make sure it's food grade. The one you point to doesn't say it, that I could see anyway.

Here's where I bought mine:
1 Liter of Vegetable Glycerin Food Grade 99.7+% Pure: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

You want USP not food grade. Food grade is a step down from USP as USP is phamaceutical grade. That link to the one from Walgreens ..... I don't see any sign of USP on that bottle, so no, I would not use it. The HUMCO one mentioned from Walmart is USP grade and is fine to use.

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Hey screamineagle, just have questions about this. I am also just starting to mix. My order is on it's way. I was wondering, don't you put any PG in your mix? Do you also vape at 0 nic? I just ordered 250 mL 60mg Nic 100% VG & PG USP - 250ml from Wizard Labs. Was I supposed to order VG on it's own also? I thought that with the VG in the Nic I wouldn't need anymore. Just when I thought I had it, I feel confused again :)

Lets see if I can brake this down

1. "Don't you put any PG in your mix?"

Yes I do. But the PG I get into my mixes only comes from the flavoring I use. When I say I use a 100% VG base what I mean is that's where I start. With 100% VG, then start adding the flavoring, distilled water, and sweetner.
Keep in mind that many recipe calculators don't calculate for thinning liquids (distilled water, PGA), so since PG is the thinner of the two (between PG & VG) the water in my resipes is listed in with the PG.
So a 30/70 mix of mine might only have 15% ( or less) of PG in it. The rest is water and sweetner.

2. "Do you also vape at 0 nic?".

Yes I do. I started mixing like most of the people in here, for my own personal vaping. The little box at the bottom of my posts isn't lieing. I haven't touched an analog in over 7 years. I quit about the same time these new fanggled e-cigs first came out, so I had to do it with the patches and lozenges. So why would I want to put that monkey back on my back? I've heard conflicting stories about the additiveness of nicotine so I'll just assume stay away from it right now.

3. "I just ordered 250 mL 60mg Nic 100% VG & PG USP - 250ml from Wizard Labs. Was I supposed to order VG on it's own also?".

It all depends on what you want your Nic. base liquid percentages to be, and what level of Nic. you want in your mixes to have.
If you take what you just ordered and stright out mix both together you'll wind up with 500ml of 50/50 that has a 30 mg/ml Nic. level.
If you need your Nic. level set at say 15 mg/ml you would need to take 125ml of the VG/Nic solution and mix it with the 250ml of PG. But then you will have 375ml of 75PG/25VG base. So if you'd want the VG to be higher then yes, you'll need some stright VG to add to it.
This can all be done on a smaller scale, and is just the base liquids. It's before you add any flavoring (which will slightly raise your PG level).

Just realise this.
If you find that you need some extra VG. Just trot down to your local CVS, Rite-Aid,or Wal-Mart and pick up a 177ml (6oz.) bottle of GLYCERINE ANHYDROUS USP 99.5% (aka. Glycerin skin protectant). It's the same VG that is in your 250ml bottle.

Don't forget to set any calculator you use to read that you are using a VG Nic. base or your percentages will not be right. Then set your desired Nic. level and PG/VG end ratio and it should tell you how much of each liquid you will need.
Find a calculator you like and play with it a bit until you understand how it works. I have a feeling that it may tell you that your going to need some VG to cut your 60mg/ml VG with if you want any mixes higher in VG then PG.

I hoped you were able to follow me on all that. But if your still confused, keep asking questions. Most of us just want you folks just comming into this to have as good of an experance as we are having. I don't mind answering questions one bit. And I sometimes get them right!!!

VAPE ON!!!!!:headbang:

Last edited:

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    You want USP not food grade. Food grade is a step down from USP as USP is phamaceutical grade. That link to the one from Walgreens ..... I don't see any sign of USP on that bottle, so no, I would not use it. The HUMCO one mentioned from Walmart is USP grade and is fine to use.

I was just about to say something then I saw the black pup your in good hands:)

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    Maryland
    I should have specified that I like around 12mg nic at 50-50. Sorry about that.
    So it sounds like I do need a separate bottle of VG. Crap, I wish I would have seen this thread first. :)
    I only originally thought about this question when I was practicing on an e-liquid calculator. I felt something didn't look right.

Just to clarify, I ordered
    60mg Nicotine 100% VG - 250ml
    Propylene Glycol USP - 250ml

I need to start reading through posts before I start answering questions...LOL.

Let me see if this might help. I hope it explanes some of what I wrote. Click on the picture below.

dot1ml explaned.jpg

GRRRRRRR :mad: they shrunk it!!! Hope you can see it.

Last edited:

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks Ladie - But my order from Wizard Labs is already on it's way, so I'm looking for something local.

Can anyone tell me if this look like the right thing: Heritage Store.Vegetable Glycerin | Walgreens
    It does seem kind of expensive though.

If you click on the "ingrediants" tab you'll see that this is USP grade. So it is what you are looking for. The reason it is a little more expensive then what you will see at most other Rx stores (Rite-Aid, CVS, Walmart) is that it's 8oz. The others sell only 6oz bottles.
    But if you can get it online for a good price I'd say go for it.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2011
    If you click on the "ingrediants" tab you'll see that this is USP grade. So it is what you are looking for. The reason it is a little more expensive then what you will see at most other Rx stores (Rite-Aid, CVS, Walmart) is that it's 8oz. The others sell only 6oz bottles.
    But if you can get it online for a good price I'd say go for it.

oooo glad you clicked the ingredients tab! I stand corrected on that particular one. I just looked at the label as almost all I have seen broadcast the USP on the front label. :blush:

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Guthrie, OK
    I believe u r auppose to find the vg online with nicotine in it then dilute with the amount of pg you want

When you buy your nicotine you can buy it in a PG base or a VG base, some places even offer it with a 50/50 blend of PG/VG. So when you make your juice you'll want to add PG and VG to dilute the Nicotine base to the desired nic level that you want. You will also have to compensate for the amount of PG or VG that your flavors contain. That's where using a calculator becomes very handy as it will take all of this into consideration. Here's a screenshot of the calculator that I use:

bemymaje.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    Maryland
    oooo glad you clicked the ingredients tab! I stand corrected on that particular one. I just looked at the label as almost all I have seen broadcast the USP on the front label. :blush:

This is true. But I haven't seen too many Rx's that don't carry the USP grade, so I figgured I might want to dig juuuust a little deeper.

pnut599

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    Michigan, USA

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2011
    Thanks Keelalgirl. I'm so happy I didn't order it and besides I do see how expensive it is compared along with the other things. I am about to put in an order at Amazon for some other things and found this. Amazon.com: Glycerin Vegetable Kosher USP - 1 Quart: Health & Personal Care
    It's USP and medical grade.

Good find there.....much better bang for your buck! I've not used theirs, but there are plenty here that do and seem to praise the quality. Glad I could help (even if I missed the usp in the ingredients tab ;))

Happy Mixing!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread