Is there a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotsteam?

Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Alta Loma, SoCAL
admit-one.net
I'm new to DIY. I am using 50mg/ml nic liquid (PG) and Rite Aid VG. It seems as though anything I mix has a raspy undesirable after taste. The only things I have mixed so far that were very enjoyable were RY4 and a caramel flavor. Everything else just kinda sucks. That is not to say that the flavor mixes taste awful, it's just the raspy aftertaste that sucks. IF there were no raspyness, my experiments would almost all taste great. I use capellas flavors and Vapor Renu flavors and have used Extreme vaping flavors (RY4 and caramel...hmmm).

I mix generally at 40% nic liquid, 40% VG, and 20%+ flavor(s), roughly 18mg/ml.

I guess my question is, is there a difference in the nic juice from vendor to vendor and is there a difference between vegetable glycerins because I doubt the flavors are bad...

I also usually add ethyl maltol to my experiments because I prefer sweeter vapes.

Also, what exactly does Magic Vape do? Is this what I need?

tanks in advance.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Are you trying to make a 60PG/40VG mix with your liquid? How big is the batch you're trying to create? The reason I ask is because 40% nic liquid sounds like a lot and this might be the reason your juice isn't tasting right. For a 5ml batch you should only be adding 1.8ml of your nic and then adding another 0.7ml of just plain PG to come up with an 18mg mix.

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
The reason I ask is because 40% nic liquid sounds like a lot and this might be the reason your juice isn't tasting right. For a 5ml batch you should only be adding 1.8ml of your nic and then adding another 0.7ml of just plain PG to come up with an 18mg mix.

Your math is right, however 40% of 50mg/ml would put him at 20mg/ml juice, which isn't so bad. Your mix comes out to 36% nic fluid.

gotsteam?

Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Alta Loma, SoCAL
admit-one.net
Hi and thanks, Yes, roughly 60pg/40vg.

(flavors are also PG - 40PGnic/20PGflavors/40VG=60/40=100%)

And I have been batching 3ml for test purposes. I won't dare make bigger batches until I have resolved my raspyness problem. So that is why I ask if there is a difference in PG nic vendors and all of the different VG brands available to us on the web and at the stores..

Basically are there DIY'ers out here that have had better luck with one PG nic liquid over another or are they all pretty much the same and, the same for VG..

Last edited:

jbblack

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Sherwood, AR
Try tipping the ratio to a bit less PG and a bit more VG. You may have to increase the flavor a little, as IME the VG tends to muffle flavors a bit. But in my experience PG does tend to have a bit more throat hit and an aftertaste that I guess might be described as raspy. Tinker with the ratio a little bit and see if it helps.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
Some of the flavors really need to steep to be good. You may want to let the stuff you mixed sit for a week or 2 and taste them again. With some things it sort of mellows them and for things with multiple flavors it allows them to mix together real good. Kinda like a pot of chili is always better the 2nd day :).

Try tipping the ratio to a bit less PG and a bit more VG. You may have to increase the flavor a little, as IME the VG tends to muffle flavors a bit. But in my experience PG does tend to have a bit more throat hit and an aftertaste that I guess might be described as raspy. Tinker with the ratio a little bit and see if it helps.

I'll second that. I've only been vaping for about a month. My favorite juices are from a vendor that mixes 60vg/40pg. I've tried other vendors that are the exact opposite, like 70pg/30vg, and I find them to be exactly as you described, more raspy, and relatively harsh. Good flavor and taste, but just a bit harsh and raspy in the throat. Some people like that type of throat hit, and some don't. I personally don't.

So yeah, try a mix that is heavier in VG and play around with it. Like above, you may have to mix a slightly higher percentage of flavoring to your mixes, as most folks say VG seems to muffle the flavors a tad. But it also tends to be slightly sweeter, which I think youmentioned you prefer.

Good luck, and have fun. DIY is kind of addictive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread