Is there substantial difference between vape quality of a regulated & mechanical mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitesh Patel

Jun 19, 2016
New here & to vaping itself. I still smoke. Hopefully, will start vaping soon. Have taken a few drags from a friend's eGo-CE4 - was underwhelmed, still, I'm almost desperate to quit smoking and I think vaping is the answer. I'm asking this because I want to have a promising start. I don't want to come back to smoking.

I've purchased an eGo-MT3 & waiting for eLiquid. I've been reading a lot and it all boils down to a single question for me. Is there a substantial difference between vape quality of a regulated & mechanical mod? If at all someone thinks it's apples & oranges, Is it REALLY apples and oranges? (I hope the answer is not it's all subjective or apples-oranges).

I'm not asking pros-cons of Mechs or Regulated (dry-hits, sub-ohm, easy, complicated), nor am I asking suggestions for specific models.

I can't tell difference between an average wine & a prized vintage, but I can spot a crappy wine.
I want to vape on 18+ mg in 100% VG. Any added Flavor may be a bonus, not requirement.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I wouldn't say one is going to inherently give a better vape than the other. The regulated mod will just make it easier to adjust to your liking. I would suggest getting something regulated, then later get into mechanical mods after you got the jist of how things work. jmo

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Not really. Vaping at 12 Watts is still vaping at 12 Watts, and vaping at 50 Watts is still vaping at 50 Watts.
If you are still trying to get off of the analogs, then I would suggest finding e-liquids that you like first before getting too involved in equipment. Regulated or Mechanical, if you think a particular flavor in putrid then you are not going to vape it. Bakery, Beverage, Candy, Fruits, Tobaccos - there is a long list of the different types of flavor. Try a little of each, find the types you prefer.

Mitesh Patel

Jun 19, 2016
I have 2 eGos with MT3 tanks, a Pro-tank mini & a tank with adjustable airflow. I'll order at least one Mech and one Regulated but want to stall these purchases as long as I can. In the meantime, I want to move completely to a regular vaping set-up. Have ordered some wires and trying to procure Nic from a company. I'll purchase eLiquid until I can blend my own.

Anyways, This is such a complicated question to ask in simple terms, I guess.

Let me put it this way:
In a blind-deaf testing, can an average Joe - vaping for a long time, determine if a vapor was from a Mech or a Regulated device based just on the quality of vapor?

Archer74

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Illinois
Honestly, either one can do the job. Both basically are just power supplies. It's the atomizer and liquid that satisfies the craving that matters. When I first started years ago, the device that kept me off of cigarettes was a KR808D using 36mg liquid. It was a couple of years ago I switched to a device with more power and had to reduce from 36mg to 3-5mg. That being said, my honest opinion, to a new vaper is go regulated. You can adjust either power or nic level to meet your needs and create that quality vape that suits for your taste. It's a matter of getting a power supply that can deliver, an atomizer that can handle that power, and pinning down the nic level to meet your craving.

Let me put it this way:
In a blind-deaf testing, can an average Joe - vaping for a long time, determine if a vapor was from a Mech or a Regulated device based just on the quality of vapor?

On a safe build on a mech vs a build on a regulated, No. The current generation of regulated mods can be set up to match a mech. The "vape quality" on a mech actually goes down when the battery is being depleted.

Last edited:

Mitesh Patel

Jun 19, 2016
@bacc.vap: "I would be more comfortable with Mech but what if Regulated is what I really need" was my dilemma.

@PapawBrett: Once I have a regular set-up, I very much want to explore flavors, but I'll be more than happy if plain VG-Nic gets me off smoking if that's what I have to vape all my life.

@Archer74: I am hung-up specifically on TC. Science behind temperature control seems solid but If no one can tell a difference between vape coming from a Mech or TC in blind testing, I would rather prefer going Mech route.

Budget is a concern & whatever I order online takes 2-3 months to reach me, so time is a concern too. I must tread carefully. I'm leaning towards Mech because if need be, I can make my own. I'm afraid of going back to analogs once I start vaping. I've tried quitting smoking in past unsuccessfully. Perhaps I'm thinking too much but that wouldn't hurt, eh? : )

My expectations are modest. No big clouds. No huge flavor. But If Mech and Regulated are as different as Parmesan, gouda, cheddar & Mozzarella, and if I have to decide which one is which, that might be a big issue I'll have to solve. It seems that's not the case with Mech and Regulated, which is a relief.

Thanks guys for your replies. I was hesitant to ask this question, as it seemed somewhat controversial but I'm glad I asked.

bassboy9909

Apr 18, 2016
Indiana,USA
i own both regulated and mech mod but just got my first mech a few days ago and as far as vapor production they are both the same until battery life starts to fall off on the mech and it falls off fast and then you are back to the regulated mod while batteries charge for mech but this is jmo i have put away the mech for vapapocolips here in the USA with the FDA regs in mind at least i can always buy 18650 batteries for my flashlights LOL i can vape for almost 2 full days on my regulated units and only a few hours on my mech mod

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I would suggest sticking with a regulated mod until you get the feel for exactly what you like. With mechs you need to be able to build coils in either a RBA, or RTA as they are not recommend with stock coils because of the chance of a short.

Getting a mech mod is not something to take lightly without knowing all the safety precautions. With a regulated mod it's more of a "plug and play" device.

(8) A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
New here & to Vaping itself. I still smoke. Hopefully, will start vaping soon. Have taken a few drags from a friend's eGo-CE4 - was underwhelmed, still, I'm almost desperate to quit smoking and I think vaping is the answer. I'm asking this because I want to have a promising start. I don't want to come back to smoking.

I've purchased an eGo-MT3 & waiting for eLiquid. I've been reading a lot and it all boils down to a single question for me. Is there a substantial difference between vape quality of a regulated & mechanical mod? If at all someone thinks it's apples & oranges, Is it REALLY apples and oranges? (I hope the answer is not it's all subjective or apples-oranges).

I'm not asking pros-cons of Mechs or Regulated (dry-hits, sub-ohm, easy, complicated), nor am I asking suggestions for specific models.

I can't tell difference between an average wine & a prized vintage, but I can spot a crappy wine.
I want to vape on 18+ mg in 100% VG. Any added Flavor may be a bonus, not requirement.
I think So.

In a mech. The power level falls off pretty fast.

A regulated device set a wattage that gives a satisfying vape and the regulated device evens out the highs a d lows for a consistent vape.

I will also say there is less to go wrong in a mech but not as safe as a regulated device.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Mechanical vs regulated is a matter of personal preference, the two are just different methods of vaping.
One is not better in any way than the other.
The vape quality from either can be identical or as different as night & day.

Using a mechanical as the battery voltage decreases with use the vape quality varies.
They have no safety/protection features other than the one between the users ears, you will need a way to accurately measure voltage & resistance.
The only way to tailor vape quality to your individual liking is to experiment with different resistances and or coil builds.
With mechanical there is a learning curve to vape safely.
Using a mechanical can be dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced, uninformed or unwilling to learn.
That is not to say they are at all dangerous if the user takes the time to start off slow, gathers knowledge & experience and uses the proper equipment, before pressing the fire button.

Regulated have built in protection circuitry, power output / vape quality will be the same from fully charged to low voltage cutoff.
Press a button to adjust power output to suit your preferences, look at the screen to see resistance, battery life remaining, power output & whatever other features the model you have offers.

As far as a regulated with TC feature goes, that again is a matter of personal preference, some folks love it, some see no point or benefit.

The key is to find what works best for you & ignore those that claim their way is better than your way.
No one can tell you what will work best for you.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Gosh, potentially a tough one.

Welcome, by the way. :)

The question you seem to be asking however is quite easy to answer, unless I misunderstand. No, there is no difference if you use either a mech (mod) or a 'mod' (regulated) at the same power with the same tank/atomizer. They are simply power sources for the atomizer. Whether a VW device is accurate and/or a set-up on a mech guarantees you are vaping at an exact watt level, that depends on the mod.

35w on a Joyetech or Kanger mod might not be precisely identical to 35w on a mech mod with a 4.2v battery and 0.5ohm coil. It doesn't really matter, it's going to be more or less the same amount of vapor and almost the same experience.

But, the battery drains in a mech mod as soon as you start using it, so a mech is kind of less predictable.
An eGo battery also drains, but some are 'set' to a specific voltage e.g. 3.3v or 3.7 or even 4.2v.

In reality, unless you are talking about an upgrade, it's mostly irrelevant at this stage. A basic clearomiser or medium level tank will perform the same under the same power conditions (volts) regardless of battery/mod type.

Reactions: StarreLabelle

Max-83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2016
Mitesh, I think the first thing you need to understand is vaping takes more effort than smoking cigarettes. Your going to go thru a process of figuring out what equipment and liquids work for you, this can be a non starter for some who are not prepared for this.

You seem to have a head start in that your doing some advance research, yeah for you!
In hindsight, from my experience, I started with under powered batteries (ego) and weak performing clearos (ce4/5's), this made finding a satisfying liquid really hard.

My input would by to get a decent starter vv vw device ( the ipow2 worked for me) and a simple tank with replaceable coils (aerotank worked well for me).

That type setup will only cost around $30-$35, after that you will surely find a direction that works for you.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
All good answers thus far. I use both a mechanical and a regulated mod almost on a daily basis. I like them both for different reasons, and do not prefer one over the other. They are different, yet the same.

I suggest getting a regulated mod first just because it will have protection circuitry against short circuits and user errors, while a mechanical mod will not. You don't want a user error to cause your mechanical mod to blow up in your face. Once you've gotten "vaping" down with a regulated mod, and should you then decide to try a mechanical mod, then go for it. But understand that using a mech requires the user to practice safe battery practices meticulously.

I suggest you read the following blogs to increase your knowledge base:

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cig-alike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
A mech mod's power with a 1ohm coil will start out at about 17W and decline steadily to about 11W when it reaches 3.3V. A regulated mod will maintain a constant power until the battery is almost exhausted.

Regardless of coil resistance a mech will always lose about 1/3rd of its power as the battery discharges.

This is because power is a function of the square of the voltage.

There are not a lot of good reasons to start with a mech mod.

Reactions: StarreLabelle

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's funny, I started out with the usual vape pen with a clearo, and my biggest issue was the falloff in performance as the voltage declined. I specifically moved over to a box mod really fast just to have vv/vw control, so I could set it to whatever watt, and have it maintain steady performance until it was time to recharge the battery. Throw in a freshly charged 18650, and right back to vaping. As much as I appreciate the simplicity and durability of a mech, the one issue I have is the same, the falloff in performance as the battery drains. Granted, the falloff from an 18650 is not nearly as fast as those little vape pen type things.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Yes and no. For someone who knows what they're doing, both regulated and unregulated devices can deliver a satisfactory vape experience. However, a mech mod is far more involved to use. Unless you've got the time and knowledge to really do it right, mechs can be both unsatisfactory and dangerous.

When you really get down to the basics of vaping, there's no such thing as apples and oranges. It's all the same. Power+coil+juice=vapor. It's just a question of what sort of power. What sort of coil. What sort of juice. The type of vape you're going to get depends on these main variables. Whether you're using a regulated or mech mod, your vapor is going to depend on power and coil build.

And I cannot close this response without this disclaimer. I absolutely DO NOT recommend that a beginner use a mech mod. This is advanced equipment and you really have to know what you're doing, because if you do it wrong, things can blow up. If you're interested and want to learn about what you need to do, to use a mech safely, great. Do it. But don't just jump in. Knowing what you're doing is key here.

Mitesh Patel

Jun 19, 2016
It took 2 months+ for my eGo's to arrive (here In India, most time consumed by customs). In the meantime I watched countless videos on YouTube and read whatever came my way on different topics related to vaping, including @Baditude's excellent and detailed posts linked above (except the post regarding atomizers, which I read it today, along with re-read of other posts).

These all seems to bring clarity to my thinking.

...until battery life starts to fall off on the mech and it falls off fast ...

In a mech. The power level falls off pretty fast.

Using a mechanical as the battery voltage decreases with use the vape quality varies.

But, the battery drains in a mech mod as soon as you start using it, so a mech is kind of less predictable.

Regardless of coil resistance a mech will always lose about 1/3rd of its power as the battery discharges.

...the one issue I have is the same, the falloff in performance as the battery drains. Granted, the falloff from an 18650 is not nearly as fast as those little vape pen type things...

I think the issue about Mechs losing voltage is well taken. When I came across VV for the first time (I think it was an eGo twist review on YouTube), I was like Eureka. And then I watched more videos & read more. Then I came across VW - Eureka 2.0, then TC - Eureka 3.0, then Mech - Eureka 0.0, I was and am still running in circles, LoL. But yeah, Thinking I'll keep a few spare batteries and actually keeping & daily recharging those can be two quite different things.

The vape quality from either can be identical or as different as night & day.

The question you seem to be asking however is quite easy to answer, unless I misunderstand. No, there is no difference if you use either a mech (mod) or a 'mod' (regulated) at the same power with the same tank/atomizer.

All good answers thus far. I use both a mechanical and a regulated mod almost on a daily basis. I like them both for different reasons, and do not prefer one over the other. They are different, yet the same.

There are differences, but nothing you would perceive without considerable experience. Definitely get a regulated mod when starting out.
The real Action in vaping is the Atomizer,, not the mod..

Yes and no. For someone who knows what they're doing, both regulated and unregulated devices can deliver a satisfactory vape experience.

It's all the same. Power+coil+juice=vapor. It's just a question of what sort of power.

I think I've got the answer I sought. This was my question, and there is my answer. I was worried if I go Mech route or Regulated, will I miss out something. I didn't want to keep any stone un-turned, but I can't try everything, right? But may be I'll try some of it, with time.

Getting a mech mod is not something to take lightly without knowing all the safety precautions. With a regulated mod it's more of a "plug and play" device.

(8) A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Mitesh, I think the first thing you need to understand is vaping takes more effort than smoking cigarettes. Your going to go thru a process of figuring out what equipment and liquids work for you, this can be a non starter for some who are not prepared for this.

I suggest you read the following blogs to increase your knowledge base:

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cig-alike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices.
There is a big learning curve to Mechanical Mods, i'd say vape a clearo for a year and read all you can in the mean time :)

And I cannot close this response without this disclaimer. I absolutely DO NOT recommend that a beginner use a mech mod. This is advanced equipment and you really have to know what you're doing, because if you do it wrong, things can blow up. If you're interested and want to learn about what you need to do, to use a mech safely, great. Do it. But don't just jump in. Knowing what you're doing is key here.

I was leaning towards Mechs as I think I understand how they work. Ohm's law is not new to me, nor is battery safety. But I see how concerns about safety is multifold, especially for a beginner, when the mod is literally in your face. It would do no good to me or any other beginner to underestimate safety concerns of mods, specifically batteries. Thanks @Baditude for writing such detailed blogs for beginners. I came across a few new things too, during today's re-read.

Well you can have both, since quite a few mods come with a setting to use your regulated device as a mech, be it called bypass-mode or sumthin like that.
For example can't go much wrong with Joytechs Evic Mini VT.

I've 2 eGo's, 2 MT3s & 2 other tanks, but am waiting for coil wire and I'm yet to procure eLiquid. I won't start before I have everything. In the mean time, I'll also get a decent regulated mod with bypass setting (something like iStick Pico starter kit or Evic Mini VT - I'll do some more research on this). Part of the appeal for Mechs was that it will keep me engaged in tinkering stuff. I love making, tinkering, improvising, but a Regulated Mod with bypass seems overall logical choice.

Thank you guys for taking time to help a noob clear his mind. Kudos to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread