Is this 18650 Battery safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juventino24

Dec 16, 2019
Better is very subjective. Better wraps, I’d say Samsung but even they can get nicked. Also a thicker wraps means a larger battery. Doubt it would be an issue with your luxe, but I’ve had to change to thinner wraps just to fit the batteries properly with one of my devices.

Aftermarket wraps are usually pretty durable.
Alright. I‘ll have to try to remove them without scratching and be extremely careful then.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Samsungs are about a jillion times better. I have Samsungs that are like 2-3 years older than my LGs which are in better shape.

I think they made them dark brown so you could clearly see EVERY nick. LOL probably not, that sounds too sensible,. They were probably like, "OKAY? What's the cheapest wrap?" and the wrap manufacturer was like, "Well, we have this tissue paper poop brown" and they were like "Cool."

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
While you should rewrap it, but you can possibly still use a battery with a small scratch on it like that under certain conditions. First, only if the scratch is nowhere near the positive end of the battery. Second, as long as the scratch will be nowhere near the positive end of another battery inside the mod. As long as those are met you can use the battery until you can get the rewraps.

• Disagree
Reactions: mimöschen

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Juventino24 – it is a good practice to have spare wraps on hand. Accidents do happen, and these wraps can get torn. Wraps are dirt cheap and some retailers will even throw in a few free ones with a battery purchase. It is also good to have a few spare insulator rings as well.

On top of that, you may also want to buy a second pair of batteries. One can be in use while the other is being charged. And you’ll always have a spare set in the event one can not be used due to damaged wraps.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Look at OPs picture, the wrap is clearly torn in two places.

It looks like maybe the scratch on the metal ends right next to the tear.

I found an identical tear on the bottom edge of an LG recently. In that case I'm pretty sure it came from a drop based on the way the plastic was deformed around the tear. I rewrapped it. Taking the old wrap off I picked at the tear with my fingernail and it tore down the side without using much force. So that's a bad place for a tear and it needs rewrapping before it's used again.

I've had to rewrap about half of my brown LG's and I only use them for a couple of years.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I just bought 2 18650 Batteries today. I realized that on one of them, there is a small scratch. Is it still safe to use? View attachment 858251
Whenever you pull the battery from the charger reach in there with your finger and pull the little metal holder thing that slides down that way it won't do that in the future or at least it'll be less likely. For now I would go ahead and rewrap it just because you never know it could catch on the inside of your mod and it's just better to be safe than sorry

Reactions: stols001

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The battery bay on the Luxe is all plastic with a short divider between the cells. I'd just put a small piece of packing tape over those two nicks and continue using them until you get them rewrapped. Most vape shops will rewrap a battery for free.

I remove batteries from the Luxe, by taking off the door, and giving the mod a quick rap against a cupped hand, the batteries will pop right out.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@Juventino24, Everyone needs to have several colors of battery wrap sleeves on hand to match the cells they use. They are cheap and shrink well using a common 1000 watt hair dryer. Once wrapped with the original color sleeve, it's wise to label them by cell manufacturer and type.

Remove a cell from the charger by pressing the positive end to pull it back. Lift the positive end enough to allow it to move forward and upward without letting the spring loaded end slip out and tear the wrap. It's kind of a technique sensitive operation that quickly becomes a new skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread