Are these batteries safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravoroni

Jun 16, 2021
9636B90A-7167-45A8-8030-1EC4E4DC3011.jpeg

Hey guys,

So today I took my batteries out of my external nitecore charger and noticed some small chips in the wrapping. Please see the photo above.

Are these batteries still safe to use? Or should they be replaced?

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Most everyone here will tell you to rewrap them. I think, in the meantime, you might get away with dabbing some bright colored nail polish on those two tiny knicks to prevent the tears from spreading.

But, definitely get some wraps. It's easy to do. Just about every battery store sells them.

Last edited:

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    View attachment 946847

Hey guys,

So today I took my batteries out of my external nitecore charger and noticed some small chips in the wrapping. Please see the photo above.

Are these batteries still safe to use? Or should they be replaced?
    No need to replace the batteries, but as smacuser said - I'd definitely rewrap them.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Just for knowledge sake, the entire outside casing (the part that's exposed in that picture) except for the positive end cap, is the negative end of a battery. So if you connected the positive end of a battery that also had a knick in it, with the exposed knicks you see in the picture - you'd have an immediate battery short which is extremely dangerous.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    I don't have a photo but my batteries are totally ripped and damaged on the ends because I'm not allowed to charge my own batteries and the staff are super careless.

What I need to know is, is it safe to unwrap them in preparation to rewrap them? And where do you find wrappers? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Nokia C2 Tennen using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I don't have a photo but my batteries are totally ripped and damaged on the ends because I'm not allowed to charge my own batteries and the staff are super careless.

What I need to know is, is it safe to unwrap them in preparation to rewrap them? And where do you find wrappers? Thank you in advance.

I've had good luck with wraps from IMRbattery.

18650 Wraps/Insulators | IMRBatteries.com

If you do an order with them, be sure to pick up a pack on Insulators also.

18650 Battery Terminal Insulators - 20pcs - White Plastic

Those Insulators are easy to Misplace. And for 99 Cents it is easier then trying to find a Missing one.

It is Safe to Unwrap a Battery. Just start on the Negative (the Flat End) of the Battery and make a small slit with a knife in the Wrap. All you need is enough of a slit so you can Grab onto the Wrap. Then just tear the wrap off.

Just Never stick Anything Metallic into the Positive End of the Battery and you will be fine.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Oops, the batteries aren't damaged I don't think, but the wrappers are.

I'd leave the damaged wrapper on until you are ready to replace it. That way there is less surface area exposed that could create a short circuit.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I've had good luck with wraps from IMRbattery.

18650 Wraps/Insulators | IMRBatteries.com

If you do an order with them, be sure to pick up a pack on Insulators also.

18650 Battery Terminal Insulators - 20pcs - White Plastic

Those Insulators are easy to Misplace. And for 99 Cents it is easier then trying to find a Missing one.

It is Safe to Unwrap a Battery. Just start on the Negative (the Flat End) of the Battery and make a small slit with a knife in the Wrap. All you need is enough of a slit so you can Grab onto the Wrap. Then just tear the wrap off.

Just Never stick Anything Metallic into the Positive End of the Battery and you will be fine.

You jinxed me, man! I hadn't lost an insulator until you said this. Tonight I lost one. And of course I didn't have any spares on hand. I bought mine from Amazon, 5.99 free shipping, so I figure it comes out to the same price.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    You jinxed me, man! I hadn't lost an insulator until you said this. Tonight I lost one. And of course I didn't have any spares on hand. I bought mine from Amazon, 5.99 free shipping, so I figure it comes out to the same price.

Yeah... I think those Insulators are made from 70% Dark Matter or something?

Because they have the ability to Disappear. Seemingly at will. And Always when you Don't have any as Back-Ups.

• Love
    Reactions: Opinionated

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah... I think those Insulators are made from 70% Dark Matter or something?

Because they have the ability to Disappear. Seemingly at will. And Always when you Don't have any as Back-Ups.

It was a black one and it blew away twice when I turned the blow dryer on. The first time it landed on my shirt, so the second time I turned the blow dryer on low and held it further away. The darn thing still blew away into a black hole this time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread