Is this battery safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Hey guys! So I have an old ego style battery that I had used with a 0.8 ohm coil (before I knew anything about resistance). If my other device were to fail, would this battery be safe to use? With a 1.8 ohm coil of course. I have avoided using the battery since, is it safe to use again with a higher resistance coil in the future? When I was using a 0.8 ohm coil, it would fire sometimes, and then the light would stay lit solid and the battery would shut off. Thanks guys!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
For the most part I'd check its output voltage, should read about 3.5 to 3.7v if it wasn't a twist VV variant. After that I would check if it holds a charge properly, sitting can even age a battery unfortunately. But yes, a 1.8ohm coil will be perfect, used to run my Ego Twists with 1.9ohm parallel 34awg kanthal 1/16th ID Protank 1 Coil head rebuilds all the time, and they worked flawlessly at that resistance.

/edit
Speaking of...
Rumages out old iTaste VV V3 and Protank Mini V2 and my 34awg Kanthal, now where did those protank heads go...

Reactions: 7sixtwo

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The protection was doing it's job - you were trying to pull more current than that battery was ever capable of delivering and it kept shutting down. If you didn't completely trash the battery by popping the protection circuit open - rendering it a zero volt output - then it's still ok to use. Just not with anything below 1.8 ohms.

Ths question sounds suspiciously identical to the problem "your friend" was having in another thread. You may want to check the advice we already gave concerning "your friend" and his ego battery.

Reactions: sonicbomb

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
The protection was doing it's job - you were trying to pull more current than that battery was ever capable of delivering and it kept shutting down. If you didn't completely trash the battery by popping the protection circuit open - rendering it a zero volt output - then it's still ok to use. Just not with anything below 1.8 ohms.

Ths question sounds suspiciously identical to the problem "your friend" was having in another thread. You may want to check the advice we already gave concerning "your friend" and his ego battery.
Very close yes, that is a friend of mine, not me. Difference here in this question, is that I ACTUALLY used a sub ohm coil on my old battery, and now just questioning it's safety. Wondering is there's a safety hazard with the battery now because I pulled so much current on it before. The post about my friend was more asking what resistance was considered safe for an ego battery, seeing as they never say their limits like mods do. My old ego is a firefly EP, his is a Firefly V2.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread