Is this VG safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinton

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal - The place to be!
This is the only VG I could find in my town. It's doesn't say 99.5% or USP, it simply says
Ingredient: Glycerine
'Restores consistency of icing colors'

Here's a link to the exact same stuff:

Glycerin - Wilton

I'm thinking since it's OK to use in food it's OK to vape, but I thought I'd check with you folks to be sure.

Clinton

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal - The place to be!
Thanks. I did make a 15ml batch of non-nic juice (my very first DIY attempt). I used 60% PG, 20% VG, and 20% LorAnns raspberry. It actually turned out OK. Except, I noticed a very slight 'glue-ish' flavor..

Anyway, when I finally get my hands on the right VG (something I KNOW is safe to use) what is the best amount of water to add to it, or do you even have to? I imagine just using straight VG you'd have to add water since it's so thick, but since mine was a PG/VG mix it was ok. I guess what I'm asking is, regardless of your PG/VG mix, is it recommended to add water to your VG, and if so, how much?

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I guess what I'm asking is, regardless of your PG/VG mix, is it recommended to add water to your VG, and if so, how much?
I don't, others do. But, my nic juice is PG based, which I mix with flavoring and VG. My resulting mix isn't too viscous. If my nic was also VG based, it might be a different story. A bit of water for thinning is a fairly common practice, from what I've read. A frequent caution is to use distilled water. Some bemoan the cost of distilled water. But, it's 95¢ a gallon at my grocery store, go figure ... I honestly feel any water other than really HARD water will be alright, considering the minute amount of dissolved solids and the normal lifespan of atomizers. Take that with however many grains of salt you want ... but, keep the salt out of your atomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread