Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Sorry this is probably in the wrong place.

I'm finding very conflicting information on the Web as to whether vaping is banned in India.

I'm flying to Mumbai on Sunday and really need to know if I can bring my vape?

I cannot think off the top of my head if we have any members from India here to ask. Honestly your best best would be to call the India Customs Agency and ask them. That way you know the answer is 100% correct. Any info on the internet may be wrong or outdated.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I'm in an Indian watch collectors forum - I have just asked the guys there many of whom are in Mumbai. I've apologised for the thread being off topic in that Forum but with a bit of luck someone will answer it if Admin allows the post.

I'll come back if I get an answer.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
One of the Admins has just come back to me. He lives in New Delhi and tells me - yes vaping is legal in India but that it is treated like smoking and there are some restrictions on where you can vape - but if smoking is allowed somewhere then vaping is also permitted.

Als if you google "Where can I buy vape supplies in Mumbai?" you'll get quite a long list of shops coming up.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Moderation seems to be the name of the game - cloud chasing in public doesn't seem to go down too well and could get you a polite but firm request from a policeman to tone it down.

In a few states like Tamil Nadu it is technically illegal but tolerated if done discretely, if done indoors or at home.

India is large, very large, in fact it is a subcontinent rather than just a country so there are variations from part to part. By and large things will be a bit tighter in the more Moslem parts.

Indian people in my experience are polite rather nice folk who will go well out of their way to be helpful if you treat them with respect.

My parents were British Army of India before the War and my big sister was born in Simla ( now Shimla ), so I do have quite a few Indian friends. Where I am in Spain one of my favourite restaurants is the Bar El Timon run by Sanjay who was originally from the Punjab and has a Spanish wife.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
yes it became illegal maybe a year ago, not quite...

but my friends still vape ;) just can't really do it out in public spots

As there seems to be some doubt raised, as a professional Civil Sevant who had to prove his sources, I post this, which is a copy of my conversation with friends on the Indian Watch Collectors Forum earlier today -

• Amit Beri It's legal
    But you've to follow standard smoking rules while doing it

• Aditya Sambhare
    Now, if you had included a wrist shot this post would have been completely above board.

• Gerald Frisby
    My phone won't talk to my computer here in Spain for some reason or else I would have!!!!

• Nishant Jha
    Absolutely legal. I have done Vaping in Delhi and Mumbai in the past. No issues, none whatsoever.

• Sid Philip
    It's banned in Kerala, Punjab and Tamil Nadu. It's a bit of a grey zone. I vape in Chennai but was told by a copper to keep it on the down low as officially its banned.

• Jeeva
    If it's MTL without much clouds. You can handle it anywhere. If it's about clouds, you need to keep an eye on people around.

• Vinod Paryani
    Legal in selective states

• Gerald Frisby
    Many many thanks to you all guys and many thanks to Admin for allowing the thread.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mac-nutty

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
"The Minister for Health press release was published on August 28th. Some official document specifies that it will be forbidden to sell, purchase, import, or consume electronic cigarette and any assimilated product."

um ok I guess it's not all of india just some states, last I heard it was pressing for all of india to ban vaping

"The ban codifies a decision made by the State Tobacco Control Coordination Committee, which is headed by the health department principal secretary. The ban is intended to “prevent youths and students from consuming nicotine,” said the executive director of the Socio-Economic and Educational Development Society, a non-governmental organization supportive of tobacco control laws.

Naturally, the law doesn’t ban cigarettes. There are more than 100 million smokers in India.

Bihar joins five other Indian states — Jammu & Kashmir, Karnataka, Punjab, Maharashtra and Kerala — in prohibiting sales and manufacture of vaping products."

I know when they first started talking about banning it a friend sent me the article, which was to ban all of india...glad that that wasn't passed but only in a few states....which means unfortunately the majority will eventually have it banned everywhere as they have been trying to do here in the us.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
There is an old Civil Service saying - "Rules are for fools, and Circulars are for interpretation."

Back in 1994 for example the European Union brought out an edict that all measure of spirits should be sold from the coming New Year in measures of either 25 mls or 35 mls or mutiples thereof. Optics would be required to dispense same.

Well and good - Britain complied to the letter.

Since then I have spent half of my life in Continental Europe and Spain in particular and indeed have a flat in Spain.

In Spanish Spain, unless in a Brit pub, I have yet to see an optic. A "Normale" of whisky gin etc in a real Spanish bar is poured while the barman counts anything between 16 and 21 in his head often depending on whether or not you are a regular customer.

The last time I measured a 21 count it came to 83 mls ( and cost significantly less than a UK 50 mls.)

Going from what my Indian friends tell me, and they do after all live there, the same would seem to apply vis a vis "Statements" and how they are interpreted/enforced or not in different states.

If you look at Evolve's site, they bill vape products as "smoke quitting devices" and guarantee delivery throughtout India to the user's door.

I can say no more - I have passed on the facts as reported to me by friends in India, who accorded me the courtesy of allowing a post well outwith the Forum's Remit and who replied promptly.

I neither wish to argue ad nauseam not get into circular discussions; I have passed on the information given to me in the hope that it might help the OP.

Here I leave the matter.

Reactions: Caterpiller

Vikram

Aug 7, 2017
@Caterpiller I live in Pune (same state as Mumbai). Some states have banned the manufacture and sale of vape devices but possession and use is fine. Treat vaping like smoking and only vape where smoking is allowed. If you need anything when you are here (juice, batteries etc) feel free to ping me and I'll put you in touch with some reliable vendors in Mumbai.

Enjoy your trip!

Vik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread