Is vaping sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
Why vaping isn't sticky?
The answer is "right there", just like the tobacco. It's SO easy to get tobacco products opposite the vaping equipment.
The only reason why I smoked 4 cigs since I quit tobacco was that the coil in my first e-cigarette broke down and I didn't have any backup. I had no idea where to buy a new coil or even a whole new e-cigarette, but I knew, that when I go down on the street, I could be an owner of a pack of Marlboro in max. 5 minutes.
That's why vaping is NOT sticky.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
I'm sure vaping, in due time will show its long term effects. Just as cigarettes were stylish at first, but time proved how dangerous they are, ( thou many knew this from the start.)
Common sense is, only clean fresh air is what should be inhaled. But the days of clean fresh air have passed. As technology takes a step forward ( for profit ),they realize years later how it cost 2 steps backward. At some point we all are inhaling pollutants. Some at higher levels than others. And still others cause they choose to.
The beginning of fighting a war from a distance found mustard gas to be a great weapon to pollute the air of the enemy, but the wind in the wrong direction cost the victor as well. Today big corporations pollute, make their money and then pay the fines. And who benefits from the fines paid.......
As man gets smarter and smarter, the level of greed & stupidity keeps on the rise.
Certain organizations set in place to lookout for our well being can easily be bought to turn their attention to their wallet.
In time, a generation will come to learn the simplicity of Right and Wrong, Good and Bad. And act on such for nothing more then good of humanity....

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Hey, this was all a nice read for me being a recent member on ECF as well as a recent vaper (6 months now as well as 6 months smoke free). Out of all that I read would like to say 2 things. And there were so many good things in your article I am somewhat embarrassed I am focusing on this 2 minor point but, they hit home to me. Fact: I have been smoke free 6 months now after starting to vape. So seems I am in the 13% which I can not believe is accurate. My mix now is 3mg. The second one is a strange one and it goes along with vaping not being acceptable as a normal behavior. When I vape, I mostly vape inside my house but, if I go out on my deck to vape I do not want my neighbors to see me doing this so I usually kind of hide it. And when I vape while driving I definitely hide what I am doing and make sure no car is next to me while I take a vape. Then blow the intense cloud low enough in my car that it is not noticeable. Strange cause only 6 months ago when I smoked analogs I would have my window open, arm hanging out with a cig in my hand without a care in the world who saw me. So why is it I am somewhat, no not somewhat, why am I so embarrassed to be noticed doing this? Thanks for the work on your post and love the site.

okra

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 23, 2017
www.basengroup.com
  • Deleted by retired1

okra

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 23, 2017
www.basengroup.com
  • Deleted by retired1

VapeFixx

Aug 24, 2017
I think the vaping community probably feels pretty positive about Juul! It's a great device.
I haven't tried the Juul yet, the only cigalike I tried was a Blu, and it left a lot to be desired. What actually helped me quit was a eleaf istick pico, which is a great starter kit and even though I have a LOT of different mods, is still my go to adv

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Obvious Question?
Why are so many gobbling up an Op-Ed as if it's Peer reviewed science?
Have we reached a point where the average readers no longer question methodology when reviewing a publication?
Thats scary!

oh, & PS-I really dont get this one POV pinned to top of all forums.

Last edited:

choetboi

Moved On
Aug 29, 2017
dongamruou.vn
  • Deleted by retired1

jazzeman

Aug 8, 2016
Thank you for sharing this. I agree that comparing 2009 to 2017 in vaping isn't really going to work well. They might as well try to compare the AM/FM original Sony Walkman to the latest smart phone. Research studies are always going to be behind by the time they get published, and if they involve technology, they will be horribly outdated because the devices they are reviewing have changed considerably during that time.

The cigalike kit devices may not be enough to get smokers to switch completely, but I think many of us started there and got the idea that vaping might work if we got something better. If the governments kill vaping now, it will be extremely hard for today's smokers to find the more customisable devices many of us use now. I really think all of the anti's need to back off a bit and give vaping enough time to do some real long-term studies. I think we have enough anecdotal evidence that it might really be safer and more effective as a tool to get people off cigarettes.

I prefer customisable to advanced as a way to describe the products many of us on ECF use because I think the ability to customise our gear to suit our tastes is what got many of us to switch completely. The kits may not help all of the people that are ready to switch if they don't offer the bits and pieces that each smoker needs to get off the cigarettes. We joke in here about MTL is beginner and sub-ohm DL is advanced, but really it comes down to whatever it takes to keep us happy and off the burning tobacco.

I was watching a Chantix commercial on TV a few days ago and thought it was rather interesting that they were comparing it to gums, patches, and other BP quitting methods and saying that their pills will help those people that couldn't quit with the officially endorsed aids. They didn't mention that they tried to compare it to vaping, and all I could do was think, "Hmmmmmm...."

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
My friend Amelia and I wrote the first of a two-part essay on how existing research methods into smoking cannot result in an understanding of vape, or new technology generally.

Amelia is a PHD candidate at the University of Waterloo, Canada. She has a particular interest in the social, political and cultural dimensions of expert knowledge-making in science and technology.
She's one of the most interesting thinkers I know, so writing this with her has been a real privilege.

Have a read!

Is vaping sticky enough? And how can we tell?
Hello all - new member.
IMO, the best way to make vaping "stickier" is to make it consistent. I smoked 45 years, quit many times, but finally quit 4 months ago with the help of vaping. But I'd tried it in 2010, and it was expensive and unsatisfying. Vast improvements in product quality are what helped me make it stick this time. But even buying the best equipment, and graduating to diy ejuice, it's still not consistent. Most that make the attempted switch aren't committed enough to learn how to vape well - that is, pick the right mod/tank, find the right juice, and commit to changing coils or learning to rebuild. I love to dig in, research, learn, and diy, so it worked for me. Even now, with great equip and top notch juice, a vape is awesome on a fresh coil, gradually diminishing with use. Easily replaceable coils just don't do it like a well coiled/wicked Kayfun Mini V3. Pack of smokes, first cigarette is exactly like the last. And the next pack, and so on. This isn't a criticism of the industry. I'm actually in awe of the growth of the vaping industry, in growth, technology, quality, etc. It's kind of breathtaking, actually, that most of this happened kind of "underground." Just a bunch of diy/tinkerers taking the - face it - garbage that was available 5 years ago started with the large companies, now exploding into a marketplace of great options. I'm sure this will mature into an industry that gives us what we need in terms of consistency. But right now, there's just too much innovation for anything to provide that.

Also, while I'm a tobacco guy, and currently can't envision myself vaping something sweet all day, I'm thankful for all those that do - since they now seem to occupy 90% or more of the marketplace. But this just helps an industry that I'm all in favor of. I've become a vaping recruiter for all my smoking friends and family, and am glad there's a safer alternative.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I think it is 'sticky' if that means 'sticking to it'. I've been a vaper now for over 8 years, no cigs in at least 7 years and 10 months (it took me about a month to leave them behind totally when I started but it might be 7 yrs and 11 months - too long ago to recall correctly). I do agree having to order stuff is a faff - I'd love it if I could get my stuff at a supermarket but I can't so I have to plan ahead.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Wow, 7 years! Don't know what you found that worked for you 7 years ago, but I tried N-Joy about that time, and couldn't stick with that. With the quality that's out there now, quitting smoking was so easy I feel like I'm cheating. First couple of weeks were tough, and there was a learning curve for juice, equipment, wattage, and even how to hit it...but it wasn't too long before I enjoyed vaping more than smoking. I let myself have a cig just to try at the 3 month anniversary, and although I didn't absolutely hate it, it did leave a nasty taste in my mouth and gave me a headache, even though i didn't finish it.
And yeah, it's funny - seems there's a B&M vape shop on every corner but there's nothing there for me, since I'm not cloud chasing with Jolly Rancher & doughnut flavors. On the bright side, vape mail can be kind of fun, but you do waste money when you can't sample.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I do agree having to order stuff is a faff - I'd love it if I could get my stuff at a supermarket but I can't so I have to plan ahead.
I see it the opposite way. For what I used to spend on smoking in a few months, I ordered enough supplies to last many years. It used to make my skin crawl when I opened the last pack in a carton because it meant I only had about half a day to get out and find more, and since I preferred a less popular variety, finding 'mine' could be hit-or-miss and involve trying several places. Knowing that I have everything I need to mix more juice anytime I start to run low has eliminated a recurring source of stress in my life. :)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I see it the opposite way. For what I used to spend on smoking in a few months, I ordered enough supplies to last many years. It used to make my skin crawl when I opened the last pack in a carton because it meant I only had about half a day to get out and find more,

Yeah, I'd kind of forgotten that moment of dread, halfway through my last pack, doing the math: Do I need to run out tonight, or will these last me until I'm on my way to work tomorrow? Now I just check the battery level in my mod....

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Wow, 7 years! Don't know what you found that worked for you 7 years ago, but I tried N-Joy about that time, and couldn't stick with that. With the quality that's out there now, quitting smoking was so easy I feel like I'm cheating. First couple of weeks were tough, and there was a learning curve for juice, equipment, wattage, and even how to hit it...but it wasn't too long before I enjoyed vaping more than smoking. I let myself have a cig just to try at the 3 month anniversary, and although I didn't absolutely hate it, it did leave a nasty taste in my mouth and gave me a headache, even though i didn't finish it.
I was in Las Vegas with a horrible cold, made worse by the fact I smoked, felt really awful, and someone in a mall there was selling the new 'e-cigs'. I'd never heard of them before, and the ones he had for sale were VERY expensive. So when I came home, I googled them, found ECF, got advice and ordered a 510 from cignot (the basic old 510). Took me about a week to get used to it, and after a couple of weeks on it cigs tasted NASTY. Took about a month to get over the dry mouth/throat though - after that, I never went back. You're right about the cig-panic though, I do remember that and it feels the same if I get low on attys these days. Not been tempted to go back - tried one after a month on the 510 and almost threw up.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I was in Las Vegas with a horrible cold, made worse by the fact I smoked, felt really awful, and someone in a mall there was selling the new 'e-cigs'. I'd never heard of them before, and the ones he had for sale were VERY expensive. So when I came home, I googled them, found ECF, got advice and ordered a 510 from cignot (the basic old 510). Took me about a week to get used to it, and after a couple of weeks on it cigs tasted NASTY. Took about a month to get over the dry mouth/throat though - after that, I never went back. You're right about the cig-panic though, I do remember that and it feels the same if I get low on attys these days. Not been tempted to go back - tried one after a month on the 510 and almost threw up.
Well, glad you found something that worked. I had no idea that ECF was around that long ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread