Issue(s) with Kanger Subox Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Preface: this is my second ever regulated mod, and it's just been out of the box for a couple hours.

0.5 ohm coil, vape is incredibly hot at recommended wattages. I'm set to 11 watts and it acts more like 25-30 watts on my other mod with same resistance... Must mention I have not used this tank on that mod, left it at work. I set this one to 20 watts to try it out and it made me cough, ouch. Using subtank mini that came with it, airflow set to "airiest."

Also a very slight buzzing sound coming from it when I fire it, only with atomizer attached. Is this an issue, or am I missing something? Is 11 watts usual for a 0.5 ohm coil... Lots of vapor coming out at this wattage, btw. A crapton if I go higher but burns my throat!
Edit: the little buzz from inside it lessens and then disappears the closer I get to 4.2 volts (fully charged battery)

Last edited:

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
Begin using the coil for 2 to 5 minutes at 5-10 watts since it sounds like you did not prime the coil. Draw from it without firing it for about 60 seconds also.

The .5 ohm coil can produce excellent vapor at 20 watts but it should not really be that warm. If all else fails pull it apart and make sure it is seated well.

Most of the time 25-30 watts should be the sweet spot depending on the juice, some I can go 40 watts no problem.

Reactions: Super Flex

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Sorry, was very tired when I replied last night so was brief. I primed the coil. I put juice in both airholes and the top until no more would absorb, I dry pulled, no power, several times until no bubbles came out, and then pulled few more times. I ran the coil at 7 watts several times as well, then 10 several times, them 15. I dry pulled after each pull at 15 watts to make sure it was still saturated. I figured a jump to 20 would be reasonable as 15 watts was still cool, but 20 was way too high. It still is today, i've been running it at 11 watts all day, 14 if i wanted a huge cloud but I can only do one or two pulls at that wattage before it's too hot. This is with dry pulls after each burn, mind you. Till no more bubbles come out, and then a couple more. I cover the airholes up when I do this.

I hope this satisfies that I primed the coil well enough. I have only oneother tank to compare to, Arctic, is much airier and i wonder if this is why 30 watts is fine for it, but not this one. Or if i am missing something else.

ddarlington24

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2013
usa
It almost sounds like you're describing a harshness of the hit on the inhale. My suggestion is use the 1.2,1.5 ohm coils will lessen the throat hit /harshness.

You did say this was your first regulated device take it slow there is a learning curve.

As for buzzing noise not sure if you're referring too the sound the atomizer makes when you hit the fire button. Or if its making some other noise ? Dose it do it without the subtank mini attached.

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
OK, first forray into building my own coils. Picked up a Kuro 2.0 and some 28 gauge Kanthal as suggested by e local shop. I run 50/50 mix at 30 watts with the stock wide spaced .5 ohm coil. The Kuro obviously wraps tight coils, so what is the hot setup or at least a starting point. And how in the hell am I going to wick this little coil?

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
It almost sounds like you're describing a harshness of the hit on the inhale. My suggestion is use the 1.2,1.5 ohm coils will lessen the throat hit /harshness.

You did say this was your first regulated device take it slow there is a learning curve.

As for buzzing noise not sure if you're referring too the sound the atomizer makes when you hit the fire button. Or if its making some other noise ? Dose it do it without the subtank mini attached.

This is not my first mod. I have a dna30 and Horizon Arctic tank, 0.5 ohm coil...as I said before...anyway, I LOVE THE ARCTIC AT 30 watts. Caps for emphasis. I did not pay $60 to use a 1.5 ohm coil since I already have a T3D with that on an ego...but I tried it anyway and it floods.

image.jpg

This is a picture of the 1.5. Anyway I don't care about this one anyway, I bought this kit to be able to run my Arctic at above 30 watts, and try the new subtank mini, also sub-ohm.

I can't get a good picture of the 0.5 coil to show what I mean, but the coil has a big kink in it. After my daughter goes to bed I will see if I can get some good pictures to show what I mean. I'll also try the RBA then and see how it works.

I'm sorry for long posts that are hard to read. I want to emphasise this though:

My 0.5 ohm Subtank OCC coil operates at about 13 watts as if it was on 30. I am comparing this to a 0.5 ohm Arctic OCC coil at 30 watts. I do enjoy the subtank 0.5 muchly, that it not my issue. My issue is that it runs much hotter than expected and suggested at such low wattage.

Thanks for your input everyone, will try for pictures later but I'm thinkingI'm just 0-2 on my first two subtank coils.

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
This is not my first mod. I have a dna30 and Horizon Arctic tank, 0.5 ohm coil...as I said before...anyway, I LOVE THE ARCTIC AT 30 watts. Caps for emphasis. I did not pay $60 to use a 1.5 ohm coil since I already have a T3D with that on an ego...but I tried it anyway and it floods.

View attachment 464232

This is a picture of the 1.5. Anyway I don't care about this one anyway, I bought this kit to be able to run my Arctic at above 30 watts, and try the new subtank mini, also sub-ohm.

I can't get a good picture of the 0.5 coil to show what I mean, but the coil has a big kink in it. After my daughter goes to bed I will see if I can get some good pictures to show what I mean. I'll also try the RBA then and see how it works.

I'm sorry for long posts that are hard to read. I want to emphasise this though:

My 0.5 ohm Subtank OCC coil operates at about 13 watts as if it was on 30. I am comparing this to a 0.5 ohm Arctic OCC coil at 30 watts. I do enjoy the subtank 0.5 muchly, that it not my issue. My issue is that it runs much hotter than expected and suggested at such low wattage.

Thanks for your input everyone, will try for pictures later but I'm thinkingI'm just 0-2 on my first two subtank coils.
The new vertical OCC are head And shoulders above the old coils, warmer would be how I describe them. Maybe that's what you're experiencing? Pop in the RBA and see how it goes for you.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
The new vertical OCC are head And shoulders above the old coils, warmer would be how I describe them. Maybe that's what you're experiencing? Pop in the RBA and see how it goes for you.

I will when I have time to do the fiddling, for now though I'm digging the 0.5 occ coil, just at 11-14 watts. It's not a problem, I think it was being misunderstood that it was a prblem. I am more curious as to why it's so hot compared to 0.5 Arctic, I guess just cause of less airflow. And I'm not talking about a "warm vape" at over 20 watts, I'm talking about BURN YOUR THROAT PAINFUL at 25, I don't care who you are. But like I said not a problem for me, my battery life with this combo has been phenomenal so far ;)

Thank you all.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas

The buzz is coming from around the screen, and only when an atomizer is attached, and only when the mod is throttling voltage (buck). It is an electrical buzz, nothing to do with the atomizer.

ddarlington24

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2013
usa
I can say that when i got my mini i also experienced the hot vape burn your throat that you're describing. With me it was due to me not having enough airflow but it was mainly the coil wasn't getting enough juice and the burning was a dry hit burning cotton yukk.

After that i used the rba section and i really liked it with the rba.

I've heard that recently kanger redesigned their coils to be vertical ones. I have no experience with the newer ones

But sounds very familiar to me these tanks use negative pressure to to feed liquid into the coil so for this to work there needs to be room for the juice to enter the coil. Sounds like the coil is very tightly wrapped with cotton when juice enters the coil the cotton expands thus blocking the path for juice to feed in the coil.

Thats the issue you're having,

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Maybe if you're careful you could remove some of the cotton so there is a very slight gap between the feed channel and the cotton don't remove to much it will flood.

I don't think so, the taste has always been good, no dry hits. Like I said, it has a kink towards the bottom that may get super hot or something. I've heard of "hot legs" on coils and gonna read more on it today.
Also, gonna say one last time that this is not a problem, it vapes fine at 10-15 watts. I enjoy it, it uses less battery, why try to fix something that works?

Not sure which "mini" you mean, regular subtank mini, or the new subox kit and it's subtank mini. I'm gonna try out the RBA sometime today, maybe the horizontal coil will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread