Issue(s) with Kanger Subox Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
This article convinced my mom that pyrazines are addictive. The title as well as the overall tone of this article are hugely misleading. If you read carefully though, you will see nothing about pyrazines actually being harmful by themselves. If you dress up an addictive substance like nicotine with better tastes/smells, then you'll want it more, same as foods. Also misleading that it puts "burning and inhaling" and electronic cigarettes in the same sentence. Nothing is burned when an e-cig is used correctly. Flavorings that are heavy in pl
Aaaand I can't turn the side screw on the RBA deck. Put ejuice on the outside and inside, stuck tight, help?

So I threaded the wick through the wick holes, not a problem. Been using for 3 hours now, no dry hits, no gurgle! Taste is very good, except on long hits I can taste the cotton a bit, not burned cotton, just "cotton,"...i was hoping this organic cotton wouldn't have a taste! Not a deal breaker for me thoufh, not nearly as bad as when I tried regular cotton balls. I'll boil it maybe and see.

Plus 20 prewound coils and cotton for $6, that's a deal Maker ;)

daveyp

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
BUFFALO
Mine does make a buzzing noise, not noticeabe unless it's dead quiet though, didnt even realize it until i saw your post and checked with it near my ear.

I do not experience the vaping issue you are having though. at 7-10w on my 0.5 I get little vapor. at 30-40w it hits very nicely, maybe a tad stronger than my ST Plus with the old 0.5 coils

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
My phone was wonky while I was trying to comment on an article the other day, just realized I pasted what I wanted to post there, Here haha...man.
I realized my issue was really just, all I had to compare this tank to as far as subohm experiences was the Arctic, which has so much air you could Breathe through it. So they are just so different there, not enough air for me to go above 13 watts or so, not without getting a cotton taste. Still experimenting with the RBA and how much cotton to use for good wicking also :)

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Preface: this is my second ever regulated mod, and it's just been out of the box for a couple hours.

0.5 ohm coil, vape is incredibly hot at recommended wattages. I'm set to 11 watts and it acts more like 25-30 watts on my other mod with same resistance... Must mention I have not used this tank on that mod, left it at work. I set this one to 20 watts to try it out and it made me cough, ouch. Using subtank mini that came with it, airflow set to "airiest."

Also a very slight buzzing sound coming from it when I fire it, only with atomizer attached. Is this an issue, or am I missing something? Is 11 watts usual for a 0.5 ohm coil... Lots of vapor coming out at this wattage, btw. A crapton if I go higher but burns my throat!
Edit: the little buzz from inside it lessens and then disappears the closer I get to 4.2 volts (fully charged battery)

I'd like to update. I put the vertical occ coil up for about a week, got it bvk out today and I can crank the wattage up much higher. I can taste cotton now before it feels too hot (I just take drags that are too long). So it works as recommended, now. I'm about to buy 5 or 10 more because I enjoy the vapor production and how well it wicks.

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
I did not pay $60 to use a 1.5 ohm coil since I already have a T3D with that on an ego...but I tried it anyway and it floods.

The resistance of the coil means nothing when comparing the two, it's the design. Those T3D coils may also be 1.5 ohms but they're trash. The Subtank Mini with that resistance coil will provide a far superior vape.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I saw a chart posted on ECF the other day suggesting that the KBox Mini runs at a higher wattage than specified at the low end of it's range (around 10 watts). It was in a discussion of Mean vs RMS I think. I wish I could find the post or a similar posting of that test chart.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
The resistance of the coil means nothing when comparing the two, it's the design. Those T3D coils may also be 1.5 ohms but they're trash. The Subtank Mini with that resistance coil will provide a far superior vape.
It's not trash if it tastes awesome and never leaks, like I said the coil that came with the subox floods, so...not superior :p plus, I can put the t3d on an ego for use at work, and...IT WORKS. I put higher nic juice in it. When I want a cigarette, what do I alsways turn to? My T3D on an ego.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Sad that it's too late to edit my original post, but I have to say that I do love mu subox mini. I dont use the tank it came with at all, and it's chipped to hell but i've never been big on cosmetics anyway. But ease of use, battery life, LOVE how the screen goes off after a few seconds. Hand fit is great. I really want to use the rba deck in the subtank but I cant effin get the screw off, and building with the tube still on is almost impossible lol

Reactions: Super Flex

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I really want to use the rba deck in the subtank but I cant effin get the screw off, and building with the tube still on is almost impossible lol
That screw holding the lower chimney down requires a smaller screwdriver than typically used for coil screws. Just getting a sanity check here :). I got mine on and off without issue, but used a rather tiny jeweler's screwdriver, part of a basic 5 piece jeweler's screwdriver set.

ktcmojo

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
I put mine together right out of the box and run it at 30W and wide open and LOVE IT-
The thing I was wondering about is the VOLTAGE-the Spinner II I had I could change the Voltage but not the Watts-is there a way to change the Voltage? Is it necessarry?
On the Spinner higher V was like turning up the Watts on the Subox-On the screen it shows 0 V 30 W.........
Am I doing something wrong? Im loving it, just wondering about adjustments to play with it and see where I can go!

ktcmojo

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
This article convinced my mom that pyrazines are addictive. The title as well as the overall tone of this article are hugely misleading. If you read carefully though, you will see nothing about pyrazines actually being harmful by themselves. If you dress up an addictive substance like nicotine with better tastes/smells, then you'll want it more, same as foods. Also misleading that it puts "burning and inhaling" and electronic cigarettes in the same sentence. Nothing is burned when an e-cig is used correctly. Flavorings that are heavy in pl

So I threaded the wick through the wick holes, not a problem. Been using for 3 hours now, no dry hits, no gurgle! Taste is very good, except on long hits I can taste the cotton a bit, not burned cotton, just "cotton,"...i was hoping this organic cotton wouldn't have a taste! Not a deal breaker for me thoufh, not nearly as bad as when I tried regular cotton balls. I'll boil it maybe and see.

Plus 20 prewound coils and cotton for $6, that's a deal Maker ;)
Where did you find that deal??????

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
I put mine together right out of the box and run it at 30W and wide open and LOVE IT-
The thing I was wondering about is the VOLTAGE-the Spinner II I had I could change the Voltage but not the Watts-is there a way to change the Voltage? Is it necessarry?
On the Spinner higher V was like turning up the Watts on the Subox-On the screen it shows 0 V 30 W.........
Am I doing something wrong? Im loving it, just wondering about adjustments to play with it and see where I can go!

Glance at the voltage reading while hitting the fire button, that's the only time it shows the voltage.

Reactions: ktcmojo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread