Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
not me; did you prime first?

I keep a needle bottle of eliq just for priming purposes; and flood coil is better than dryhit, so soak that sucker; you can always recover from a flooded coil but when a dry coil burns some stuff on it, that burnt taste is going to remain there for a while; a small piece of brownblack burnt gunk on your 500 degree hot coil is probably going to be litterally smoking for a while before it burns off and you dont want to be vaping it.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
how was the vape, was it harsh? we need to do some work to narrow down the cause.

too much cotton will choke in the coils when juices is added and it swells. this causes wicking issues and a dry burnt taste will usually be the result.
too little cotton will not get the coil saturated enough. and will also cause similar results as too much cotton.
once you get it right you will have an amazing results.
did you check the coils before you inserted the wick to make sure they are glowing evenly from the inside outwards?

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
protank 2, made a 12 wrap micro about 1.2ohm or so, 32 gauge kanthal

I don't know how large your coil was, but that doesn't sound right to me at all. Even with a fairly small 1/16" diameter, that should come out closer to 3-4 ohms with that many wraps using 32GA kanthal, I would think. Heck, 5 wraps with 32 will get me around 1.8...but the diameter of the coil does make a difference. Sounds like there could be a short, which can wreak all sorts of havoc.

Also, the balance of cotton is critical in those Kangers and it can be a bit tough to estimate when you're learning. Definitely try less cotton...it should be able to move side-to-side within the coil...touching, but not tight. Priming is much more important with cotton, too...cotton's not the best conductor of liquid, so if you're relying on natural wicking, be prepared to wait for a bit. For reference, I still use 2mm Ekowool in my Kangers and am happy as a clam with it...simple, easy and less prone to issues from my experience. I save my cotton for RDA's and RBA's, where taste reigns supreme.

Skyfntm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ozark, AL
I would check on the build as a 12 wrap micro with 32 gauge kanthal should be yielding a higher ohms then 1.2. I know 12 wraps non micro with that gauge would be around 2.4ohm's on a 1/16th drill bit.

I was thinking the same thing. What I do is a 9 wrap micro on an 18g needle with 30g and that gives me 1.5 on the nose. When I use 32g on the 18g needle I only do 5-6 wraps. That also gives me right around 1.5ohms. Also if you burn the coils red hot before wicking and soaking with juice you have a very very high chance of burning the positive insulator which will also give a nasty burnt plastic like flavor.
Try less cotton in the coil. Remember you want it to slide through with mild resistance. And double check your ohms.
Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread