Issues with the positive contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Hey guys. This same problem happened to me with my first Reo, right about the same time. I have had this Grand for about 2 weeks, and it seems like the positive contact loses it's strength or something. When I push down the fire button, I am getting misfires like crazy. I then have to pull the battery out, push the fire button and then reach up and kind of pull/bend/flex down the positive contact. I put the battery back in and it fires good for a bit, then have to repeat soon after.

Does anyone else have this issue? The contact looks clean, so not sure what causes this. I thought it was just a weird coincidence since the exact same thing happened to me about 2 weeks in with my first Grand.

TIA

Cloudz

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
The flat metal piece that makes contact with the positive terminal of the battery.

File it with a nail file. Don't be shy about it, give it a good bit of pressure. After you've filed, put a dab of Noalox on the tip.

Over time, the Noalox that's applied to the firing pin by Rob at the factory wears off. This allows arcing to occur between the firing pin and the positive terminal of the battery. This will oxidize the firing pin and cause misfires. If you take the door off and press the fire button, you'll likely see the arcing occur.

Filing the firing pin removes the oxidation. Noalox delays its return.

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
Or if you have bought a 4 oz bottle of Noalox I suggest putting a small dab on Noalox on the positive contact on the battery itself. Also are you using flat top batteries? The Reo was designed around AW 18650 button top batteries. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to fire the Reo ....Don't be a button masher.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Or if you have bought a 4 oz bottle of Noalox I suggest putting a small dab on Noalox on the positive contact on the battery itself. Also are you using flat top batteries? The Reo was designed around AW 18650 button top batteries. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to fire the Reo ....Don't be a button masher.

Can you give us more information?
What battery are you using?
What is the resistance of your coil?
A big concern here is the positive contact....there shouldn't ever be a reason to bend it. I'm almost wondering if you aren't mashing the button.
Keep us posted.

The inaugural Button Mashers Anonymous meeting will be announced shortly...

that's just my way of saying that possible button-mashing was my first thought since i have been guilty of that...

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Nope, fully aware of the 'button mashing', and have been very careful about that.

I am using AW IMR 18650 button tops.

I guess ill pull the + contact out, file it, throw on some noalax and see how it does.

Just to be clear, I am just filing the piece that almost comes to a point (that's essentially bent downwards towards the battery), right? Do not see any reason to do the whole thing.

Thanks guys

edit: Also, I bought myself a little ohm reader but am a bit skeptical on it. I have a 5 wrap of 28g around a 1/32 micro, and it's reading .74. My guess would have been closer to .5, but idk, maybe my MM readings were way off before I bought this thing..

Last edited:

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Just to be clear, I am just filing the piece that almost comes to a point (that's essentially bent downwards towards the battery), right?

Yep.

There's not really any reason to take it apart. I just remove the battery and depress the button. The firing pin will poke out the little hole.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Yep.

There's not really any reason to take it apart. I just remove the battery and depress the button. The firing pin will poke out the little hole.

ok, ill give it a whirl.

The noalax seemed to help for a bit, but seems to be back to a half-... connection/fire.

Hopefully the filing helps.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
ok, ill give it a whirl.

The noalax seemed to help for a bit, but seems to be back to a half-... connection/fire.

Hopefully the filing helps.

While running coils under 1 ohm I noticed the need for more frequent filing and noalox. With higher ohm coils the need is not present for longer periods of time.

While you state that you are not mashing the button, it is common to push harder if it is not firing. I know, I do it too. It is a conscious decision to keep from pushing too hard on the button. I have used only REO's for almost 3 years. So I do have some experience to back up my statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread