The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Itaste svd vs Provari 2.5

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by UKvapour, Jul 9, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    That's something the vast majority of Provari owners say - myself included.
    I often find that the major critics of the Provari have never owned or used one.

2. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    I've only just seen this post.
    Vaping on them is crap but you own two of them?

Jwark,
    I've just been reading some of your posts and found this;

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/391023-need-help-new-mod-suggestion-2.html#post8905490
    So is it crap or does it hit better than everything else?

3. Chris474

Chris474 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    NJ
    Since everyone is talking about it, I couldn't resist adding my two cents...

I have a few Leo Pros, Vision Spinners, a Provari, the Natural (I traded my Vamo for it) and I just ordered the SVD kit.

I mainly use AGA-T(2) tanks on my Provari and Natural and clearos on my smaller ecigs. I really don't like the lightweight feel with the Visions and never use my Leo's anymore. I use the Natural quite a bit with a single 18350 as its compact but still heavy. For work, my Provari is almost always on my desk (the natural is with me today as only one oc my 18490's was charged this morning).

I ordered the SVD kit because I wanted some bigger clearos for an upcoming trip and for 2 3.0ml clearos and 3 spare replacement coils (~$35 value) the SVD comes very cheap. I will likely travel with my Spinners and the SVD. I didn't want to travel with my Natural and have to vary my attys more (.8 ohm for a decent hit).

I don't expect anything to ever replace my Provari outright but I like to have a choice with different self placed values on them. My Vamo was like junk, my fluke and Provari would put my RBA at 1.5 or so and the Vamo would be off by .5. It was just off in so many ways I was happy to trade it.

That said, I still want to have a big, heavy, big battery VV/VW device for when I don't want to risk my Provari. All in all, the SVD costs about the same as 2 "disposable" Spinners...I know, they aren't really disposable, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if one got lost or destroyed as I would be with my Provari.

Anyway, if you are vaping now, and will be for a while, you'll eventually have more than a handful of devices and you're likely just laboring over which to get first. Maybe if you wait long enough, Provape may eventually offer a VW option on the Provari.

Like everyone else here, these are my opinions and how it has worked out for me...

4. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Full Member Verified Member

Jun 19, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I ordered the SVD based primarily on what I was looking for and comparing features and cost across the group. I considered the Provari, Innokin SVD, Kamry K200, and the Vamo. What it came down to for me was whether I was interested in the looks or the features and for me, I need the device to have the ability to adjust vv/vw, ohm meter, large battery capacity, and consistency in reviews. Kamry K200 looked like a grenade, so I chucked it. The Vamo was nice, but not what I was looking for. The Innokin SVD was nice and had some great features with a good price. The Provari to me is too much bling. While YMMV on what you are using the APV for, I just need my APV to provide a consistent vape while offering all day coverage and just function (without looking like a grenade).
    Provari is pretty. Yeah it will turn heads, but to me I'm not looking for attention, so spending 2.5X the amount for an attention getter at a vaping venue is not my goal. Again, I think it's nice, it's pretty, and I'm sure everyone likes it that has it, but for price/performance I would suggest either the iTaste SVD or the Vamo.

5. tnt56

tnt56 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sorry to disagree but I'd go with a tesla over the vamo. I've owned both. So it's just IMHO. lots of folks like their vamo.
    Just again in my own small opinion. Whatever works then its the perfect setup for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. twistedchild316

twistedchild316 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2013
    East Texas
    The time draws near brethren......the showdown is coming!
    [​IMG]

7. Chris474

Sep 7, 2012
    NJ
    I like that beauty ring on the SVD, wish the Provari had a similar accessory.

8. twistedchild316

twistedchild316 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2013
    East Texas
    A few observations so far with the Provari.....the thing is SOLID! Heavier then the SVD in fact. And vapes like a DREAM! I see what people have been saying! lol Thus far though for the little time I have been using it i'm not 100% yet on whether or not the higher price over the cheapie Chinese mods it worth it. Time will tell. Give me another week with it and i'll have my comparison/review vid ready. :)

9. DasFriek

DasFriek Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2013
    Ohio
    Being an electronics junky and ocd hobbyist with an EE background and new to vaping I'll add what I've seen and learned so far.
    VW is a compensation for not so good VV regulation. Tight constant regulation becomes more important as ohms drop on coils as it runs on the line of burnt taste if it is crossed.
    Imo, tho more you get into vaping the more you learn what you like and begin pushing those devices to get the perfect vape.
    I like to modify everything, but do my best to keep well below the burnt taste threshold. Meaning I'll mod a tank before pushing the V or W's up.

Vamo- I have one and like it alot.
    SVD- I just got this and it is built better than the Vamo. The adjustments are harder to learn to.
    I do swap batteries at 3.7v, not due to the device as much as the batteries have more amperage limitations at lower charges. I do notice power drops at this point with the Vamo and SVD.

I'm gonna mention this as I don't like the MVP until they make one with swappable battery packs, I don't trust others to pick out the best performing cells in anything. So I stick with swappable battery devices except for my on-the-go spinner/Evod setup.

Provari- I've never even held one. But quality wise I can tell its one of the best regulated devices.
    Worth $200? Not to me.
    $140? Yes it is.
    I had many high end cells and chargers from my led flashlight hobby days, so initial costs are lower for me.

A Vamo or SVD with a cheap non imr cell would be torture to me.
    A Provari with a cheap cell will act normally but just not last as long on the charge.
    Most who use mechanicals wouldn't go near a cheap cell as the who device is useless without great power delivery. I'm referring to amperage output under load on a scope. Yeah I've done that stuff too!

So as I grow in my vaping experience I'm sure I'll always be looking for a better vape, having the best equipment makes finding it easier and have less hassles.
    Will I buy a Provari? Possibly.
    But I'll be looking at other options also as I know a time will come when I need that good regulation.

10. DaxFX

DaxFX Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Puerto Rico
    DasFreak - if you stack two cells yow will get a near perfect regulation all the way of the charge

Sent from my iVap using Tapatalk HD

11. DasFriek

Jul 4, 2013
    Ohio
    I do run 2x18350's alot of the times, and your right it does keep the regulation more consistent.
    But the cells I have are only 800mah so 2x means the voltage drop happens sooner over my 2200mah imr's.
    So both have a trade off.
    Honestly its not important to me yet as I run my KPT@7w and my ATA-T2 @9w's. Since I'm not pushing either higher with more power the regulation need not be perfect. Alto soon I'm sure I could tell a difference and that's when I'll be looking at the best regulated pv's.

12. tnt56

Very well said. And worded.

13. DasFriek

Jul 4, 2013
    Ohio
    Thank you, I try my best to be objective and consider all the facts.
    I don't feel the Provari is the best looker, but its not ugly either. But quality costs money whether its from the USA or China.
    I used to order all my flashlight parts from a place just like Fastech so I have no issues buying like that. In the flashlight world Chinese made products were just as good as USA parts, just available an easy 6-12 months faster to the market. Especially electronic parts.
    I'd much rather buy USA made parts, but if you did it was older tech and 2x-3x more expensive and usually 3 steps behind Chinese parts.
    95% of the batteries I used and bought were from a very trusted site in China after I or we would buy 1 or 2 cells for testing. China is and or was notorious from fake cells the never come close to their listed specs and some were even rebranded used cells that were meant for the recycler. I had at the time a very expensive charger and cell tester combined that was controlled by laptop and it would test under load and show graphs of how the cells reacted to heavy amperage loads.
    People here should pay attention to their cells just as much as any PVD, as a PVD is only as good as the cells running it. The Provari can make even some crappy cells work better in it than other PVD's with not so great regulation.
    That also goes to say that great cells are only as good as the charger you use, yes even that makes a big difference in how well you PVD works. Nothing is necessary tho, I'm just saying if you want the best equipment you should buy just as good supporting equipment also.

I'm just getting started into vaping as a way to stop using snuff which I did for 30 years which was an accidental side effect of vaping as I started vaping for its enjoyment. Than I found out it could can be another addictive hobby also that runs side by side with simpler things I've done. Its also not cheap, ive spent hundreds of $$$$ in about 1 months time. But I could have done it all with a spinner and an Evod.

14. tnt56

And agree with that 100%. I wish people would follow safe use of these batteries. For crying out loud folks. Get a meter. Learn how to use it. It's not that hard. And you always got YouTube to fall back on.

15. DaxFX

DaxFX Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Puerto Rico
    With your background you know you will get double the volts and not double the mah on a serial conection (stacked batteries in our mods) so you stay more or less with same 800mah but since the voltage is higher you will drain a bit less amps from each cell so you still an 800mah setup but with less amp draw and just a bit more vape time but only a bit.. I ordered 2x 18350 1200mah and recived today they fit perfect stacked as my 800mah same size. But i will not get the same vape time as my 2600mah never

Sent from my iVap using Tapatalk HD

16. DasFriek

Jul 4, 2013
    Ohio
    I'll have to take your word for it as the facts on that escape my brain on battery stacking and mah. I make mistakes alot, but this is a pretty bad one, thanks for pointing it out.

17. Chris474

Sep 7, 2012
    NJ
    They all have their merits...I protect (uneccessarily) my Provari and I love it. I won't get on a plane with it because of my TSA fears. I will take the natural or SVD likely, certainly as spinner or two.

As for what vapers the best, it may be due more to your Atty configuration than anything, I can certainly deliver clouds from all of my gear, which is what I look for most. TH, flavor, volume....all more important than the "how" of it.

The I clear 30 is quite nice however...it doesn't look so good on the Provari due to air coming from the 510 connection needing space. It does deliver great taste, volume and TH.

[​IMG]

18. dmanindfw

dmanindfw Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2011
    DFW, TX
    I just took up vaping again about 2 months ago. Budget was tight so I was looking for the best value out there...two options came up from all my research and forum searches...the Vamo and the SVD. I bought the Vamo as it was about $40 from a US seller. I did fork out the extra $ though to get the stainless one. So far I love it but I have a couple of very minor complaints as they don't affect performance. 1 - when I mount my kanger protank it often sits slightly leaning to one side. I can correct it some by slightly pushing it. 2 - the fire button occasionally sticks. Not where it continues to fire but just slightly where it gets towards the end of it's travel outward if that makes sense. These are very minor issues but I don't mind admitting them.

As I am concerned that whatever device I have may at some point fail, I just recently ordered an iTaste SVD. I have yet to receive it but no question I will be comparing the two closely once I have it in my hands.

Would I have likely to have purchased a ProVari initially? Sure, but I am a bit of a value shopper and again my budget is a bit tight (thanks to kids and my outrageous insurance rates) and knew that I would need many other accessories...tanks, heads, juice, etc. Frankly for me, I think that the Vamo and the SVD will give me very similar performance to a PV and at a 1/4 of the cost. Sure they likely won't last as long, and I can't get 5 different color choices, and I don't have something built in the USA, but I can buy 4 Vamos or SVD's for the price of 1 (new) ProVari. That is a value proposition I am comfortable with. 80-100% of the performance of a PV at 1/4 of the price.

The way this industry and devices have been changing so quickly, after I wear the Vamo and the SVD out, I'm guessing there will be a whole bunch of new devices that I will want to try out at that point.

Now if someone will lend or give me a provari (hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge) I will absolutely compare all three and give you my honest, unedited opinion.

19. soba1

soba1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2013
    Van Nuys Ca., USA
    Look I bought the SVD it is cool, I liked the look.
    Then this thread made me seek out a Provari.
    I was like deeeeyaumn.
    It was like making love for the first time.....
    I had to have it.
    Look if your wallet can stand a Provari, get it.
    Warranty standing behind their product if it breaks
    great satisfaction. In the long run you will
    save money.
    If things are tight the SVD is great.
    If you can afford it get th Provari.................hands down.
    You don't have to stack batts the vape is steady strong and fluid....

20. soba1

soba1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2013
    Van Nuys Ca., USA
    My son is happier than a hog in slop with his new SVD....................................... :D
    BTW he is 19....... so don't be calling CPS.... :glare:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.