It's been a long time since I've been here, maybe ready to quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacydc83

Aug 28, 2014
Virginia
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in these forums in years now, but here I am. I was just reading back on my old posts from 2014, about how proud I was that I'd quit smoking, and had started vaping. I think I am ready to quit vaping now. Do I want to? No. See, long story short.. back in November, I had covid. Covid pneumonia. It's now the middle of February, and I'm still having all kinds of lung issues. Shortness of breathe, heart races when I do any kinds of exercises. And I've tried so much to heal myself, and nothing seems to be working. My thought process is the next step is to stop vaping. But how do you do that? Quitting smoking was hard enough. And now I feel like quitting vaping would be so much harder. With smoking, I had to stop what I was doing, to go outside and smoke, or find a time convenient to do it. I vape pretty much all day, with what I'm doing. On the couch, watching tv. Vape next to me. playing a game? Vape. It's part of every thing I do. I don't even know if vaping has slowed down my recovery, but its the only logical "next step". I just simply don't want to. And it has me all up in my feelings, and doubting everything. All I do know is I want to be better. to be able to breathe normally again, not have an inhaler, to be able to take long walks again without my chest hurting, to be able to exercise again like I used to.
Anyone been able to do this successfully? To fully be off nicotine and now have the strong desire to vape anymore? I've already lowered my nicotine, instead of buying two 3 nicotines bottles at a time, I've been buying a 0 and 3, and mixing them, but I don't think its done anything for me, maybe just vaping more.
Anyway, thank you for any help.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Shortness of breathe, heart races when I do any kinds of exercises

Have you been checked for diabetes? I was recently diagnosed with T2D and in doing some "research" on the net I found these are 2 possible symptoms of diabetes (can't remember if T1 or T2 though). Doesn't hurt to get that checked out.

I too am going back and forth in my head about quitting because about half the vapers on the internet who talk about diabetes vs. vaping say that it affects their blood sugar. I'm not as conflicted as you are but I'm sort of stressed out about the diagnosis and it's making it hard to think straight. No clue what I'm going to do.

But as for your issues, what have doctors told you?

As for you quitting, maybe your first step is to try to control the amount/frequency you vape since that seems to be a big issue for you. It won't be easy but will likely be an easier step than just quitting altogether.

And rose has a good idea, try to not inhale. You still get nicotine if you don't inhale. Remembering to not inhale will be the tough part since it's second nature now, but if you're serious enough you can eventually condition yourself to not inhale if that is really what you want. But if you're a DL vaper, this could be tough as you will have to first get used to MTL. Can't DL and not inhale :lol:

Some people take baby steps to quit an addiction, some go cold turkey. You'll have to see which is the best for you. But cutting down is not a failure.

I've been buying a 0 and 3, and mixing them, but I don't think its done anything for me, maybe just vaping more.

May very well be. If your body isn't getting enough nic, you could be inclined to vape more.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    @stacydc83, I'm sorry to hear about the post covid issues you're experiencing.

You don't have to quit vaping if you don't want to. Try vaping without inhaling. Take a hit into your mouth and exhale through your nose. Don't inhale the vapor into your lungs. I don't always inhale with my vapes.

You are possibly vaping more because of lowering your nic. Have you considered trying Snus for your nic fix? Something like General Snus Mint?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I went to not inhaling about 2 years ago. I just got tired of putting stuff into my lungs and decided they needed a big break from everything except air. duh lol
    The way I did it was every time I picked up my vape I told myself 'do not inhale'. It took a conscience effort but soon became automatic. Did I slip up?...you bet I did. And as soon as I did it I just said oops gotta do better. Don't beat yourself up if you have slip ups...it happens with anything new to you. Just keep trying and before you know it you will be feeling better. If you do slip up it sounds like to me your lungs will let you know about it. Just get better and let us know how you are doing. We are all here to support you all the way.....

SAS

stacydc83

Aug 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you all for the useful replies! I think I'll give the not inhaling a try, definitely worth a shot! Btw, I am so glad to see this forum still alive and well, after 8 years! And thank you for your support! I was reading back on my posts from a long time ago, and its funny how I preferred cigarette flavors, now all I vape is a watermelon flavor.

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    It’s going to be a decision you have to make, but I agree you should talk with your doctor and see if you can determine the cause, quit vaping or not, it would be best if you know what the root of the problem is. Apologies to Territoo, but I have doubts a doctor is going to get you there, but you still have to try.
    Next, maybe going against the grain here, but if you really struggle with giving up the vape, I would boost the nic way up there 12 to 16, and reduce how often you need to vape.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Hi everyone. I haven't posted in these forums in years now, but here I am. I was just reading back on my old posts from 2014, about how proud I was that I'd quit smoking, and had started vaping. I think I am ready to quit vaping now. Do I want to? No. See, long story short.. back in November, I had covid. Covid pneumonia. It's now the middle of February, and I'm still having all kinds of lung issues. Shortness of breathe, heart races when I do any kinds of exercises. And I've tried so much to heal myself, and nothing seems to be working. My thought process is the next step is to stop vaping. But how do you do that? Quitting smoking was hard enough. And now I feel like quitting vaping would be so much harder. With smoking, I had to stop what I was doing, to go outside and smoke, or find a time convenient to do it. I vape pretty much all day, with what I'm doing. On the couch, watching tv. Vape next to me. playing a game? Vape. It's part of every thing I do. I don't even know if vaping has slowed down my recovery, but its the only logical "next step". I just simply don't want to. And it has me all up in my feelings, and doubting everything. All I do know is I want to be better. to be able to breathe normally again, not have an inhaler, to be able to take long walks again without my chest hurting, to be able to exercise again like I used to.
    Anyone been able to do this successfully? To fully be off nicotine and now have the strong desire to vape anymore? I've already lowered my nicotine, instead of buying two 3 nicotines bottles at a time, I've been buying a 0 and 3, and mixing them, but I don't think its done anything for me, maybe just vaping more.
    Anyway, thank you for any help.
    It's a part of everything I do too. I agree with those who have advised that you try vaping without inhaling. You get used to it. I kind of drifted in that direction naturally. I can feel the vapor bang against my throat, but at the top of my throat, and the roof of my mouth, then I release it from my mouth and nose. You absorb the nic in those tissues and stay stoked.

If you were to stop vaping, would the cigarette bogey creep up on you...

I hope you'll find what works.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    My brother quit smoking when I turned him on to vaping. I told him to look for a flavor on FSUSA and he chose Zen Watermelon. He, then, started lowering his nic to where he found it more of a hassle to vape than he was actually enjoying it and soon quit both for good. I might be following in his footpath soon.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Id be concerned too esp if there are family history of heart conditions or other health issues i may have.

there was a segment on the nightly news on this very subject. the increase its the possibility of long term heart issues with people who had Covid. Even if it was a mild infection doesn’t seem to matter.

I just did a quick google and all kinds of articles are posting about this increased risk.

Here’s just one article that appeared …. I have a fib and SVTs both heart rhythm problems thankfully I haven’t been infected.

COVID-19 infections increase risk of heart conditions up to a year later | Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis

Good Luck to you whatever you decide.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    It’s going to be a decision you have to make, but I agree you should talk with your doctor and see if you can determine the cause, quit vaping or not, it would be best if you know what the root of the problem is. Apologies to Territoo, but I have doubts a doctor is going to get you there, but you still have to try.
    Next, maybe going against the grain here, but if you really struggle with giving up the vape, I would boost the nic way up there 12 to 16, and reduce how often you need to vape.

You don't have to apologize to me. I know that most doctors don't know crap about vaping. The ones that think they do, don't know anything but what the ANTZ tell them.

Thank you all for the useful replies! I think I'll give the not inhaling a try, definitely worth a shot! Btw, I am so glad to see this forum still alive and well, after 8 years! And thank you for your support! I was reading back on my posts from a long time ago, and its funny how I preferred cigarette flavors, now all I vape is a watermelon flavor.
    Just go ahead. It's really a good way, not inhale. After you get used to it, try your best to reduce the nic gradually. I believe you can do it! Anyway, keep updating, let us know your progress, you are not alone :):):)

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    It's just that I've known two people who tried to reduce the nic level of their vapes, and ended up back on cigarettes. They both reported they walked in somewhere and bought cigarettes as if in a trance. Tobacco is a powerful demon. Vaping is that white oak stake.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread