ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmmmmmmmm

Oct 29, 2017
Hello All - Not having a good few days!

1) Started DIY liquid - bought new PG/VG and flavors
2) Everything is tasteless. Not just tasteless - tasted like old socks - chemically. Wrong
3) Thought I might have vapors tongue and lost taste but its been a few days. Sure its not that
4) Replaced coil for the first time. Was working fine but thought maybe it was burnt somehow. Its not the coil.
5) Blew out my first coil on first vape - i have a gpriv with screen and wasnt paying attention and my hand revved it up to 220. So changed the coil again. But Im not sure if the coil is actually broken. But its been replaced again. So coil is fine
6) I have a big baby beast that came with the kit. Problems - the seals are expanded and dont fit. The o-ring one at the top I replaced. New ones fit ok. But then they expand and when you fill the liquid you cant close it.
7) Started unscrewing the bottom and filling it from there until I get new o-ring. But the seals on there are expanded now as well. So the glass doesn't sit flush. Its nearly impossible to close.
Im at my wits end with this thing. Nearly went out and bought some cigarettes. I was so close!
Questions:
1) Should I buy a new tank? What is a no messing die hard tank that just gives you no problems. Preferably cheaper back up one. But Id pay more just so I know I have a tank that I can rely on.
2) Any idea whats up with my flavour? I guess its something that I bought - PG/VG or flavours are off or fake or something. I guess I have to try each one individually and figure out which one it is. If only I could open and close my tank! Ahhhh. Anyway any tips please?
3) This is my recepie - Could it be so wrong that it would just taste like poo?
30 ml - 70VG/30PG / 6MG Nic
45 drops Nonna Cake - 5%
36 Drops Vannillin - 4%
10 drops honey - 1%
I realize its about as accurate as...whatever, using drops. But should it taste that bad? Its like sucking antifreeze with very very slight nondescript background flavour.
Oh and it floods all the time - due to seals no doubt. Took me a while to figure out that the top o-ring seal is very important. If its not right. It floods. And also it eats juice like a stoned gremlin. I know they do that but my consumption has doubled/tripled. I fill up the tank and go for a vape session and the tank is empty. Could be Im vaping more or higher watts - but Im not. New coil?
Thank you all for any wisdom!

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I can try with the recipe.

Honey has been known to taste like what you are describing. If you are thinking its sweet,hmmm, not so much, and too much is just awful. Vanillin is more for a fuller mouth feel type flavor, not so much as to taste the vanilla. Even at high pct's you won't ever get a strong vanilla taste, just a hint. More flavor in diy makes it tasteless.
I would start with mixing just the Nonna Cake. Then if you need a sweetner, use sucralose.(sp)

Have you visited the DIY forum here at ecf.

DIY E-Liquid

The baby beast is known for eating up ejuice quickly since it is a sub ohm type of tank.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

:)

Hmmmmmmmm

Oct 29, 2017
I can try with the recipe.

Honey has been known to taste like what you are describing. If you are thinking its sweet,hmmm, not so much, and too much is just awful. Vanillin is more for a fuller mouth feel type flavor, not so much as to taste the vanilla. Even at high pct's you won't ever get a strong vanilla taste, just a hint. More flavor in diy makes it tasteless.
I would start with mixing just the Nonna Cake. Then if you need a sweetner, use sucralose.(sp)

Have you visited the DIY forum here at ecf.

DIY E-Liquid

The baby beast is known for eating up ejuice quickly since it is a sub ohm type of tank.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

:)
thanks

Hmmmmmmmm

Oct 29, 2017
So went to vape shop. No o-ring seals in stock for a week! Ended up buying Joytech ultimo tank on their recommendation. ( i was desperate) Put in the ceramic coil with some difficulty (it doesnt recognize the coil on the mod and opening and closing the tank is a btch) and bought Five Pawns three range - isolani. “Glazed lemon zest sugar cookie“. Reviews say best flavour ever. I taste chemicals! I dont taste lemon, cookie. Nothing. Just a harsh chemically taste. Oh I give up....Ive been at this all day.
I see why people give up vaping. Its just too hard! Ignore me...Im low on nicotine. :) Thanks for the help

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Relax a bit, you'll get your stable vaping setup and juice at some point, and never look back. It takes time to get to that place, so don't worry if you are smoking a bit along the way, or getting frustrated, getting to that happy place takes time. Just keep vaping, don't give up and you will get it figured out, I really am sure.

I showed up here with a Cleto sub0hm tank and was doing horribly until I figured out I was really a MTL vaper.... I dual used for a bit but just kept plugging.

Good luck,

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Hmmmmmmmm

Oct 29, 2017
Relax a bit, you'll get your stable vaping setup and juice at some point, and never look back. It takes time to get to that place, so don't worry if you are smoking a bit along the way, or getting frustrated, getting to that happy place takes time. Just keep vaping, don't give up and you will get it figured out, I really am sure.

I showed up here with a Cleto sub0hm tank and was doing horribly until I figured out I was really a MTL vaper.... I dual used for a bit but just kept plugging.

Good luck,

Anna

Been 6 weeks without smoking so far. When everything is working its happy days....then everything just goes wrong. Thanks for the support. Ill keep at it!

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hi & Welcome To ECF !!!...Can't help on the BBB...But I'm with @Sugar_and_Spice on just mixing up a small batch of 'Nonna's Cake' only...Say maybe 8%...Simple single flavors are a good place to start with DIY...Also, what brand of Flavors are those...I'm assuming the 'Nonna's Cake' is FA...And hopefully the 'Honey' is a DIY flavor and not Real Honey...And regarding the “Glazed lemon zest sugar cookie“ my guess would be that needs to age for a while and at the very least you should shake the Dickens out of it...Don't give-up the ship !!!...There are many nearly foolproof pre-mixed recipe concentrates that are wonderful...TFA Banana Nut Bread for example is an easy winner @ 8%...Another thing that I'm religious about is skimming the reviews before buying any flavor...FA 'Honey' gets mixed reviews at the best and I'd suspect it's probably one of those flavors that just flat out doesn't work for some people...I love Pineapple...But I'll not use it in my DIY E-Liquid again ???...Trig :)

Hmmmmmmmm

Oct 29, 2017
Is this your first attempt at vaping?
No. I tried a few years ago. But the set up was sht and I just didnt take to it. Then I tried again 6 weeks ago but bought the V2 series 7. It was ok. Started me off but it was very limited and the coils were blowing out every two seconds. So returned it and the GPRiv kit was on sale. Came with TF8 big baby beast. It was all happy days. Then bought some eliquid diy stuff and all at once everything is going wrong. Coils blowing out, flooding, leaking, seals expanding and not fitting etc. Its one thing after another and it takes alot of time to figure out what the heck is going wrong.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Hmmmmmmmm

Oct 29, 2017
Hi & Welcome To ECF !!!...Can't help on the BBB...But I'm with @Sugar_and_Spice on just mixing up a small batch of 'Nonna's Cake' only...Say maybe 8%...Simple single flavors are a good place to start with DIY...Also, what brand of Flavors are those...I'm assuming the 'Nonna's Cake' is FA...And hopefully the 'Honey' is a DIY flavor and not Real Honey...And regarding the “Glazed lemon zest sugar cookie“ my guess would be that needs to age for a while and at the very least you should shake the Dickens out of it...Don't give-up the ship !!!...There are many nearly foolproof pre-mixed recipe concentrates that are wonderful...TFA Banana Nut Bread for example is an easy winner @ 8%...Another thing that I'm religious about is skimming the reviews before buying any flavor...FA 'Honey' gets mixed reviews at the best and I'd suspect it's probably one of those flavors that just flat out doesn't work for some people...I love Pineapple...But I'll not use it in my DIY E-Liquid again ???...Trig :)
The “Glazed lemon zest sugar cookie“ is a Five Pawns ready made eliquid. I decided I would treat myself with my new tank. Tastes like poo. Seriously not just flavorless. Its really bad. I just dont understand. But Ive eliminated now that it must be me and not the juice. I think. But the shaking it i didnt think about. Ill try that.
Oh and I have a mixture of inawera and FA. The Nona cake is FA and the rest inawera the the recpie above. I am going to do it properly - get a scale and age it etc. But thought Id just try a shake and vape. I thought maybe it would taste a bit wrong. But I never expected it to taste absolutely horrible.
Thanks for the advice

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
The “Glazed lemon zest sugar cookie“ is a Five Pawns ready made eliquid. I decided I would treat myself with my new tank. Tastes like poo. Seriously not just flavorless. Its really bad. I just dont understand. But Ive eliminated now that it must be me and not the juice. I think. But the shaking it i didnt think about. Ill try that.
Oh and I have a mixture of inawera and FA. The Nona cake is FA and the rest inawera the the recpie above. I am going to do it properly - get a scale and age it etc. But thought Id just try a shake and vape. I thought maybe it would taste a bit wrong. But I never expected it to taste absolutely horrible.
Thanks for the advice
Well ready made doesn't necessarily mean ready to vape !!!...Although I'm sure Five Pawns or the vendor might tell you otherwise...Citrus flavors generally need a little time to develop...Personally I'd just mix up a batch of the Nonna's as a stand alone...If it tastes good you've got a start...And you can always layer a bit of the other flavors in provided you're not going too ballistic on the total % of flavor...As in cooking it's easier to put more in than it is to take some out...If you make a small batch and you like it...Then add a little 'Honey' and see if it goes South on you...You will have figured out the culprit in the foul flavor you're describing...Could well be the Honey or that Vanillin could possibly contain certain ingredients that just doesn't agree well with some people...???

One other thing on the Nonna's...Bakery Flavors get better with age but that one should probably taste OK as a Shake & Vape if ya' just let it sit for maybe 1 or 2 hours and shake it several times...My Best Guess...Trig

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello All - Not having a good few days!

2) Any idea whats up with my flavour? I guess its something that I bought - PG/VG or flavours are off or fake or something. I guess I have to try each one individually and figure out which one it is. If only I could open and close my tank! Ahhhh. Anyway any tips please?
3) This is my recepie - Could it be so wrong that it would just taste like poo?
30 ml - 70VG/30PG / 6MG Nic
45 drops Nonna Cake - 5%
36 Drops Vannillin - 4%
10 drops honey - 1%
I realize its about as accurate as...whatever, using drops. But should it taste that bad? Its like sucking antifreeze with very very slight nondescript background flavour.

A Couple of Questions. One of them Anna asked.

Have you Taste Tested your 6mg/ml Nicotine Base to see what it Tastes Like?

How long after Mixing this recipe did you let this Sit before you tasted it?

Have you tried the above Recipe without the Honey Flavoring? Or replaced it with say 5 Drops of TFA Sweetener (Pure Sucralose in PG Solution)?

Have you tried using Less Vanillin?

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Seems you have a whole lot going on there and I find it helps to take issues one at a time so to speak. So, starting with your gear.....

I've had my G-Priv kit for over a year and have never had any O-ring issues, still using the same ones I started with. It sounds like it worked well at first for you, before you tried DIY and started doing a lot of fiddling with it. For now, ruling out anything DIY related, get your new O-rings and make sure they are properly installed. Start fresh with a store bought juice you know and like, and see if you get it working like new. You don't mention at what wattage you used when it was working well or if you have had other instances of accidently increasing wattage. Getting it really hot is the only thing I can think of that would "stretch" the O-rings. I run mine between 54 and 62 watts and find that good for me. Try and get in the habit of locking the touch screen every time when first starting it up. Very simple with a short hold of the little button above the fire bar until the lock appears in upper left of the screen. Once you get that working, you'll have something to hit while playing with your DIY.

Unless somebody has a reason your DIY could cause the problems you describe for your gear, it is a separate issue and you are getting good advice already on that. I would only suggest using something else for testing your mixes and keep what is working for use while doing that testing. Get another tank (I prefer something small like the Baby Beast) or, better yet, a dripper for trying your mixes. I am not big into building, but my shop sold me a cheaper Freakshow dripper, put a build on it for me, and said they would do builds for me when needed. Works great (especially for tasting) and gave me the opportunity to first try wicking, then try wrapping coils.....something I never thought I could manage.

Once you get that all set, be prepared to buy a few other tanks for your successful mixes.....you'll want to be able to switch up flavors quickly when desired!

Good luck!

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Like @OlderNDirt mentioned. Solve your equipment issues first. Tanks should not leak! If they do, IMO, they are crap, and I would not buy that brand again, nor would I mess around with trying to fix. Good equipment should give you years of trouble free service.

Trying to do/learn everything at once is only going to lead to more frustration.

Hmmmmmmmm

Oct 29, 2017
A Couple of Questions. One of them Anna asked.

Have you Taste Tested your 6mg/ml Nicotine Base to see what it Tastes Like?

How long after Mixing this recipe did you let this Sit before you tasted it?

Have you tried the above Recipe without the Honey Flavoring? Or replaced it with say 5 Drops of TFA Sweetener (Pure Sucralose in PG Solution)?

Have you tried using Less Vanillin?
All good suggestions thanks. Nic is fine I think. Tried it on its own. The others will take a while. Like trying one and then cleaning tank and swapping . but I guess needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread