I've been searching for wick materials...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aras

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
USA Pennsylvania
thevaporchef.com
I've been short on time lately, been searching for wick materials to build my own coils. I found nichrome wire but, having a hard time finding wick materials. Can some one please tell me where to start or point me to the right thread with info about where to buy supplies and maybe a tutorial on building coils?

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
I only use XC116 for wicking, but read the literature sheet and make sure you properly prepare it if you choose that route. I HATE wire mesh wicks, but that's just me. There are dozens of videos on Youtube about constructing coils.

Para, I looked over the literature for the XC-116; but didn't see anything about 'preparing' it. Could you elaborate on this?

ty

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapa-tapa-tapa-tapatalk

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
If the Canadian version is anything like your XC116 you have to burn the sizing off of it or it tastes like crap. I do a strand at a time and take a propane torch to it...it starts off white, turns black, kind of catches on fire then burns it self out then turns a grayish white again...good to go but it's a little brittle.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html

Good discussion on this thread. Good results being gotten with cotton/organic wicks. Cheap and locally available too.

Well I guess I'm picking up some gauze and some cotton and bamboo yarn...and the Ody is the perfect vehicle for testing too, it'd be awesome if it actually works...great link Don, been reading it for over an hour now!

edit: "Great link" doesn't begin to cover it Don...that's been a game changer for me...amazing

Last edited:

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
If the Canadian version is anything like your XC116 you have to burn the sizing off of it or it tastes like crap. I do a strand at a time and take a propane torch to it...it starts off white, turns black, kind of catches on fire then burns it self out then turns a grayish white again...good to go but it's a little brittle.
Check Omega's site to see if it's Nextel XC116 and can be exported to Canada; I know they won't ship to a lot of countries because it's used in the space industry. Kiln fired makes all the difference with XC116...soft, easy to work, NO flaking....excellent properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread