A look at various wicking materials for rebuildable atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I'm in agreement with Paul; there has been a tome of discussion on this topic already published, and more than a year of submissions from numerous interested parties on Jeremy's thread. Experimentation of all materials and devices are performed by ALL of us, although some are more clever than others, and I personally have gleaned much of my education from other's research. In fact, I find that my Rose and Ataman attys work better with Lyocell, and the Erls and most drippers work better with loose Sally's type rayon. I've been sold on this stuff since the beginning.

Obviously, a whole bunch of vapers have decided that rayon is their go-to wick. And apparently some of them feel very passionately about it. For me, the jury is still out.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Obviously, a whole bunch of vapers have decided that rayon is their go-to wick. And apparently some of them feel very passionately about it. For me, the jury is still out.
I've been through various types of silica, organic cotton balls, KGD pads, Graham's rayon from Sally's, and finally settled on Tidi rayon balls. When I was last keeping up with the giant Rayon thread, Jeremy seemed to think that certain tampon rayon was the cat's meow. o_O

I dunno about anyone else, but I got to the point of being content with my wicking material, where I suspect any further improvement would be marginal at best. But I'm willing to let you try to prove me wrong. :D

BTW, some of the passion is due to all the detractors we had early on. "You can vape rayon, that's a SYNTHETIC, you're gonna DIE!" Same sort of thing with titanium wire. Well, I'm not dead yet. In fact, I think I'll go for a walk. :p

Last edited:

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I've been through various types of silica, organic cotton balls, KGD pads, Graham's rayon from Sally's, and finally settled on Tidi rayon balls. When I was last keeping up with the giant Rayon thread, Jeremy seemed to think that certain tampon rayon was the cat's meow. o_O

I dunno about anyone else, but I got to the point of being content with my wicking material, where I suspect any further improvement would be marginal at best. But I'm willing to let you try to prove me wrong. :D

BTW, some of the passion is due to all the detractors we had early on. "You can vape rayon, that's a SYNTHETIC, you're gonna DIE!" Same sort of thing with titanium wire. Well, I'm not dead yet. In fact, I think I'll go for a walk. :p

I'm not trying to prove anybody right OR wrong. Sure, rayon is synthetic, in the sense that the cellulose is dissolved and then solidified into new filaments. But it's still just cellulose, as long as the solvents are cleaned away. The new cellulose has a different polymer chain length, a different degree of crystallinity, different fiber diameter, and different levels of fiber alignment, but it's cellulose. Cotton is also nearly pure cellulose. Does this mean they are essentially identical? No. Cotton, being a natural fiber, is incredibly complex. For a quick overview:

Cotton Morphology and Chemistry - Cotton Incorporated

Which one is better? I have no idea. I'm sure they both have their place. Two or three of these materials will probably find a semi-permanent place in my personal supplies. The rest will have fans elsewhere. Which is fine by me.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm not trying to prove anybody right OR wrong.
Sorry, what I should have written is, "But I'm open to trying other materials if someone comes up with a good case that they're actually better."

I suspect there's a degree of subjectivity in all of this. Different people like different things, and of course, some people still fear rayon.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Sorry, what I should have written is, "But I'm open to trying other materials if someone comes up with a good case that they're actually better."

I suspect there's a degree of subjectivity in all of this. Different people like different things, and of course, some people still fear rayon.

No problemo - just don't want anyone thinking I've got an ulterior motive here. I'm not selling anything, just sharing my personal findings as they slowly trickle in.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Native Wicks

Shockingly white (not so obvious in this nighttime kitchen table photo) long staple cotton, very tightly compacted.
19806696192_9bc79e989a_k.jpg

Tease it apart and the length and alignment of the fibers is readily apparent. Really strong - maybe even stronger than the Vapers Choice cotton from page 1 (which I just realized I forgot to post pictures of - I’ll do it next).
19814063295_0137663f9b_k.jpg

Really easy to work with. Simply peel off the number of parallel strands you want...
19191484404_b650d3a230_h.jpg

And lightly roll into a wick. Easiest to push through a coil if you cut the ends on an angle before rolling them to a point. Many of the fibers go from end to end of a wick, making it difficult to tease the end into a point without thinning the wick.
19191499534_d5b7a2bd6a_k.jpg

At 10x the long aligned unentangled strands are apparent. They're really quite gorgeous.
19787955966_6c700a5b8b_k.jpg

Relatively easy to work with (sharp scissors needed), clean, strong, nice packaging.

Next up: Vapers Choice (really)

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Why?

Just curious, never tried it. Reminds me much of Ekowool, which I did NOT like at all.

Also never understood how hollow sleeving can possibly be a good way to try to fill the inside of a coil.

Because it's aluminum oxide, one of the most thermally stable ceramics in the universe. Because it can be dry burned in a Kanthal coil. Because it lasts almost forever. Because it still seems to have a rabid, albeit small, fan base. Because the creator seems passionately devoted to it, popping up in various forums to answer people's questions.

It just never seemed to wick fast enough or absorb enough to feed high VG e-liquid to a low ohm build on an RDA. Still hoping that's my fault and I can find a way to make it work. Not optimistic. Suspect it's best left to Tootle Puffer tank folks (I love you guys, just sayin' it's not how I vape).

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Vapers Choice

Disclaimer: This cotton inspired me to start this little investigation. After vaping JOC for several months, I was amazed by just how different this cotton was. I like it a lot. But that doesn’t change the fact that this is an unbiased survey of what’s out there that I might like better.

White, clean with very long fibers.

19349778269_86a2645d98_k.jpg

Tears apart very nicely with no loose fuzz. The fibers can easily be drawn back into a continuous strand.

19529585582_3ae888dee4_k.jpg

Picking a mass apart really brings out the alignment and length of these fibers, as well as the lack or clumps or particles.

18915456033_8b7812e9a1_k.jpg

Here's a 10x image. Like the Native Wicks, the fibers are so clean and perfect, you'd almost think you are looking at a synthetic.

18913823144_d73580690b_k.jpg

Easily rolls into a well formed wick and holds its form. Again, like the Native Wicks, angle cutting the ends can make it easier to insert into a coil.

19205446834_c115d15e01_k.jpg

As I've said, I really like the Vapers Choice cotton. Once it's wet with e-liquid the wick tails can be a little small in diameter, making it a little challenging if you like to stuff your juice well full of wick (which, fortunately for me, I don't). But for high coil placement with tails, it's very nice.

Next up: Graham Rayon Cellucotton

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Graham Rayon Cellucotton

OK, here's one that seems to have a big fan base. Came as a "rope" in a big blue box that will last forever. Clean, white, fluffy and squeaky.

19641008628_09201e7930_k.jpg

Decent axial alignment of short, uniform diameter fibers that tears easily into long strips, albeit with quite a bit of fluff.

19802859766_aa21a1adf4_h.jpg

Teased apart, you can see that the fibers are all heavily interlocked.

19641033750_3ac84b3bfe_k.jpg

At 10x, you can more clearly make out the small interlocked spun cellulose strands. The fibers aren't really aligned at this scale - rather, they are quite heavily randomly tangled. It does seem as though they carve out a lot of free volume that could serve to hold a lot of liquid.

19641038938_23edef2ac9_k.jpg

Easy enough to tear off a strip and roll it into a wick. Fluffy, but it holds its form. Not too easy to point the ends with your fingers - seems better to moisten them. Very compliant and resilient. Very low tensile strength, unless you roll it up very tightly.

19829076065_21b9794ff9_k.jpg

The mechanical structure of this semi-synthetic (it's still cellulose) material seems to have quite a bit going for it as a wick. Wish it had more strength, but it just isn't gonna happen with short, tangled fibers.

I have to go back and see if I've missed any other conventional wicking materials I have on hand. If not, I'll take a look at the ReadyXWick next.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
ReadyXWick

The wick I'd love to love. But we just haven't been able to hit it off just yet.

It's this gorgeous, glistening white, perfectly woven little rope.This is a serious engineering component, modified for vaping.

19657415329_f3c01eeaa8_b.jpg

Pick the end apart and you can see the long, perfect fibers in all their glory. A very small amount of fibers/particles get generated during this process.

19836652782_f9cb1c22e7_k.jpg

Cut off the end you just frayed, and you immediately get this - a bunch of short, scary-looking fibers. Scattered over your table. Nothing like the nice, little, fuzzy puffs you get with a cotton or rayon wick. The thing is, the evidence available strongly supports that these fibers, because of their length, are NOT a significant respiratory hazard. AND, because ReadyXWick can reportedly last an extremely long time, your average exposure to them should be miniscule to begin with. Any qualified ReadyXWick fanatics out there: PLEASE jump in and clarify this issue for people. I'm personally totally comfortable with using this material.

19221422284_5afb9f00dd_k.jpg

A quick 15x closeup to show the braid. Very nice.

19844070355_9ad01850d1_k.jpg

It's very easy to do an angle cut to assist in twist-threading ReadyXWick through your coil. Even after doing so, I find it extremely frustrating to twist-thread ReadyXWick through my coil without totally fraying the end. YMMV.

19836684982_55f52126b5_k.jpg

A very impressive engineered material. I've already prematurely post some of my impressions of it. If it fits your vaping style, well worth a look.

Reactions: JimScotty0

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Put a medium needle thru the center of the rediwick and wrap your coil around the rediwick.

Yeah, I've watched a bunch of RXW videos, but as important as wicking is to me, I still like to build my coil first and then add the wick. And I mostly work with 22 and 24 ga. Which makes this challenging, at least for me.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Yeah, I've watched a bunch of RXW videos, but as important as wicking is to me, I still like to build my coil first and then add the wick. And I mostly work with 22 and 24 ga. Which makes this challenging, at least for me.

yeah the larger gauges would make using this wicking material difficult. I figure it is good for up to about 28 ga wire. Maybe 26?

Reactions: Magaro

kkiet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2015
Milwaukee, Wi
Native Wicks

Shockingly white (not so obvious in this nighttime kitchen table photo) long staple cotton, very tightly compacted.
19806696192_9bc79e989a_k.jpg

Tease it apart and the length and alignment of the fibers is readily apparent. Really strong - maybe even stronger than the Vapers Choice cotton from page 1 (which I just realized I forgot to post pictures of - I’ll do it next).
19814063295_0137663f9b_k.jpg

Really easy to work with. Simply peel off the number of parallel strands you want...
19191484404_b650d3a230_h.jpg

And lightly roll into a wick. Easiest to push through a coil if you cut the ends on an angle before rolling them to a point. Many of the fibers go from end to end of a wick, making it difficult to tease the end into a point without thinning the wick.
19191499534_d5b7a2bd6a_k.jpg

At 10x the long aligned unentangled strands are apparent. They're really quite gorgeous.
19787955966_6c700a5b8b_k.jpg

Relatively easy to work with (sharp scissors needed), clean, strong, nice packaging.

Next up: Vapers Choice (really)
I think this is the best.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Setting up for the first round of experiments: juice retention

19972275706_ad39913ed2_k.jpg

I have an 8/9 wrap 22 ga coil installed on my Twisted Messes RDA. Roll, install and trim a wick. Then remove it, re-roll it if necessary, weigh it, and lay it in a bath of 75/25 VG/PG to fully saturate. Remove the wick using a pair of needle-nose tweezers gripping at the center of the wick, allow the wick to drain for 30 seconds with the ends of the tails JUST touching the e-liquid, and weigh. Three trials for each wicking material, discarding the lowest value.

First trial with Graham Rayon Cellucotton went well - fairly consistent soggy little snotballs were produced. We’ll see how this goes.

19377943253_aea6732745_k.jpg

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
Some initial results:

Japanese Organic Cotton (skin removed)
Wick #1: 0.032 gm
E-liquid: 1.453 gm
Wick #2: 0.030 gm
E-liquid: 1.478 gm

Drago Egyptian Cotton