Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavik79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Albany, NY
And no, I'm not a drummer :D

So, I've been vaping a week now with a Joye 510, and once in a while I've gotten a little bit of the 24mg PG Liquid on my finger, either when refilling, swapping carts or the occasional leak.

I've gotten these patches on the tips of my fingers that were kinda white and very dried out, that peeled off. It more or less looked like a blister that had dried up and started peeling. Just wondering if this is normal and just a result of my sloppiness and I should be more careful?

I tried searching and only found results for mouth sours, no mention of skin problems on hands. Once the skin peeled it looks fine again, so I'm not overly worried, more curious really, anyone else?

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
PG/VG are humectants. Meaning, it will dry out your skin as long as your skin is more humid then the surrounding air.
And because e-liquid is rather viscose, it won't dry up fast - letting this drying out happen over a prolonged period of time as a result.
Just wipe the e-liquid off your skin when you have leakage. If possible by washing your hands, but if that isn't possible then at least wipe off the liquid with a tissue or something.

I find it's also a matter of getting used to it btw - just like the dry throat many have when beginning to vape, lessens by itself with a week or two.
I wouldn't be too worried :)

Kavik79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Albany, NY
haha jj2, I'm not gonna wear rubber gloves all day long to vape, but thought about it for when playing with the fluid, yes.

and Katink, thank you for the explaination of the cause :)
like I said, I'm not very worried, just surprised that with all the symptoms people question around here, I hadn't read anything about this one.

oh, and haven't had it happen again since posting this

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia

So, I've been vaping a week now with a Joye 510, and once in a while I've gotten a little bit of the 24mg PG Liquid on my finger, either when refilling, swapping carts or the occasional leak.

I've gotten these patches on the tips of my fingers that were kinda white and very dried out, that peeled off. It more or less looked like a blister that had dried up and started peeling. Just wondering if this is normal and just a result of my sloppiness and I should be more careful?

I tried searching and only found results for mouth sours, no mention of skin problems on hands. Once the skin peeled it looks fine again, so I'm not overly worried, more curious really, anyone else?

I always thought it was John yelling that, not Ringo! John was always the screamer/yeller. Live and learn. :D

Its true, one of the downsides of the 510 is that it can leak sometimes. I have learned that if I want to use my shirt pocket to stow it that I should have a little napkin or tissue in there as well, otherwise one can get a pocket spot! :shock: One also gets used to having sticky fingers, and washing your hands, which with this flu going around is not a bad thing! Of course the PG/VG and nic probably kill the bugs too.

It does take some getting used to, but the effort is worth it, and gets better and better with time. Just be careful with the nigh-nic stuff. I would recommend getting a syringe for making juices from high-nic liquid. That way you touch a lot less with your fingers.

Vape strong!
Kurt

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA

If it started out as tiny fluid filled vesicles, that slowly dried out and formed dry skin patches that you could peel away, leaving red irrritated skin underneath, AND it is mostly on the tips and in between your fingers, it could be a condition called dihydrotic eczema(Dihydrosis). This has nothing to do with nicotine, it just happens, often at the change of seasons as a result of an autoimmune reaction within the skin of your fingers.

I could be totally wrong, it's just the symptoms sounded kind of like dihydrosis. if you want, Google dihydrotic eczema and look at some photos to compare with what you have.

Kavik79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Albany, NY
Kurt said:
I always thought it was John yelling that, not Ringo! John was always the screamer/yeller. Live and learn. :D

It does take some getting used to, but the effort is worth it, and gets better and better with time.

Wikipedia is good :pervy: I could remember the quote, but completely drew a blank on where it came from! And it's already been well worth it in my opinion, I've never felt so good after a week without ciggs! The only bit I'm waiting on to get better, is when I use up this fluid and go shopping for different flavors to find one I like better :cool:

Markarich, I think I'm condition free :p There was no fluid filled anything, just suddenly super dry and peeling. And since I noticed it and started being more conscious of leaks and careful when filling, I've had no reoccurances. (I had a habit of holding the thing while driving, with my fingers near the break between the cart and the atty, that's why I wouldn't always notice it right away....I've stopped doing that now :oops:)

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
I've sort of experimented with vaping off and on for a few months, but since I've been vaping regularly for a three days now. In that time I've already developed dry patches on the tips of my right thumb and index finger from contact with the juice. Anytime I get it on me, I wipe it off and wash, but I think it's just very fast at drying/irritating the skin. I find it to be a minor nuisance, nothing to be worried about.

knifesideleft

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
lowell Ma
I havn't worried about it to much unless you have some kind of sensitive heart condition. The cartridges on my 510 are terrible as it seems the liquid will only absorb into the first 1/4 of the wick part. when I refill it usually pools on the top and I usually always get the liquid dripping out all over my hands and occasionally in my mouth which I just spit out or casually wiping it off on my pants when its all over my hands. Makes me smell pretty good too since I go with the fruit flavors. Yeah I'm real sloppy. Im using the 24 nic too but as far as i've seen I havn't had any side effects whatsoever. Although I wouldn't advise letting it sit of course. Nothing has happened to my hands though except smelling like strawberrys. Had 1 or two sores in my mouth though that went away fast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread