The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Janty/Joy-E Stick V3 switch solution

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Maintenance' started by tmbrown327, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tmbrown327

tmbrown327 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    I became frustrated with my V3 sticks failing due to button/switch issues (when pressed, the switch would fail, or would cut out randomly). So I yanked on the end cap and it came off! Yay. The good thing was that it revealed the problem, and so a solution. Please refer to the pictures. Once it comes apart (do so at your own risk), you can get to the gold contacts and the steel spring contact. They were coated with dried juice, presumably from flooding (inevitable, eventually). This coating resisted an alcohol rinse and dry, it required burnishing the gold contacts and steel mating surfaces with a pencil eraser to get it working again. Once I did that, and reassembled it, it worked like brand new. Yay again.

Downside: The end cap is secured to the body by glue. Once you separate it, the only permanent way to get it to stay together would be by gluing it again. Personally, I'll probably just keep scotch tape on it, because I know it will require dis-assembly again eventually. The end cap is hollow, by the way, and is only a design touch apparently, at least in this version. I'd just as soon leave it off entirely to make the device even smaller.

I know there are at least a few others out there with this problem, hope this helps. I wouldn't of course, suggest trying to exercise any warranty you have after doing this. If someone has any good ideas about how to mod this into an easily torn-down version, I'd sure like to hear it. Overall, this is still my favorite design of PV.

Attached Files:

2. jfdpl686

jfdpl686 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    New York
    I had a very similar problem. My switch when pressed kept the device on. I had to hit it or remove the battery and wait.
    I tried cleaning but nothing... In my frustration, not finding a proper way to open it and giving up, I put it in a glass with alcohol for a night. Next day I noticed at the bottom of the glass a lot of dirt... I rinsed it with water and left it a couple days to dry. Now it is working without a problem.

Mine is the Joye version, I think the only difference is the logo at the button.

3. tmbrown327

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    Sounds like, in your case, something got between the plastic button cover and the spring, keeping it pressed after you removed your finger. Good you got it fixed. Yay stick.

4. tmbrown327

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    Just an update and a caveat. I have 3 V3 sticks (one by Janty and two by JoyE). The Janty came apart easily, just by pulling on the end cap. The JoyE (which failed in exactly the same way) was a real pain to get apart. I had to resort to brutalizing it with an exacto knife. It is, however, completely identical (down to the Janty marking on the switch PCB) to the Janty in all other respects.

I did manage to get the upper hand in the end, and it is now fixed, although no longer pretty. On this one, the clear plastic window was glued or bonded to the body, so I had to cut away at the bottom of the case to get it off there. It reassembled better than the others though, and does not require tape to hold it all together. Go figure.

5. wolfiebeast

wolfiebeast Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Alabama
    I found that putting a few drops of 3n1 oil on the switch and working it in will make the switch work like new again.

6. tmbrown327

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    Thanks, I'll try that before I rip apart number three when it fails. :)

7. jbardi

jbardi Full Member

May 10, 2009
    Thanks tmbrown327, you are a life saver. I thought for sure my Stick was done, but thanks to this post, I am back up and running good as new.

I also have the Joye model, and it took a bit of work to get the end cap off and then even more work to get the clear plastic layer separated from the main body.

Mine was worse than yours as far as liquid. Some how it completely flooded with liquid and I had to slide the board for the button out as far as the wires would allow because the board was completely covered in liquid on both sides, so the liquid was making the connection, so when I pushed the button, it would stay on until it flashed blue, nearly burning out my atomizer.

Cleaned it all off, reassembled and it is working like new.

Thanks again, never would have thought about opening it up like that.

8. tmbrown327

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    Glad it helped. Did you, by chance, try what wolfiebeast suggested, the 3in1 oil? I was curious to see how well that worked? Sure would be a better design if they made them so you could disassemble them easily.

9. Shadow Ryder

Shadow Ryder Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2010
    Lost Wages
    Thanks for this thread, I also had the same problem and this thred helped a lot I also replaced the wires with longer ones that are stranded so if this happens again I can slide the boad out further and clean. :D

10. tmbrown327

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    Good idea, got any pictures of that? I'm curious how/where you managed to stuff longer/thicker wires into that thing. I'm too lazy/clumsy to do that sort of thing myself, but I applaud your initiative.

11. Shadow Ryder

Shadow Ryder Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2010
    Lost Wages
    sorry its not a better pic taken with my cell phone. I used stranded wire from an old usb cord.

Attached Files:

12. tinstar15

tinstar15 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    My V3 Joye button started getting twitchy a few days ago. Intermittant functioning mostly and sometimes no function at all. I took the battery, atty, and battery cap off, and dunked the whole device into a jar of isopropyl alcohol. I let it soak for an hour or so. I took it out, shook it dry, and let it fully dry overnight.

Button works just as good as new with no problems. No disassembly aside from the atty, battery, and cap.

Not saying that disassembly is unnecessary, maybe due to mine not being as heavily gunked up or maybe mine surviving the alcohol bath was a fluke. Just thought I'd throw it out there FYI.

13. tmbrown327

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    Just guessing, but your success is probably due to your having attempted to fix it so soon after you started to see problems. I let mine go for weeks with the twitchy button, so the juice really got a chance to dry on there. The alcohol soaking shouldn't affect it much, as long as you don't try to re-use the alcohol, it's fairly inert right out of the bottle. Glad you found a solution that doesn't require opening the device.

14. Kate51

Kate51 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2009
    Argyle Wi USA
    Yes, thanks for the thread everybody, me too! So sick of the failures I've been looking around, but still hooked on the Joye or Janty V3....except for switches. I've tried the exacto not successful but getting really tired of having to look for the 'sweet spot' for every puff, this one only two days old. Seems failure inevitable, as with others. I also had a couple that got wet under the button plate, let it sit in front of the hair drier for ½hour, let it cool, it was ok for a long time. Next time will soak it with alchohol first, nothing to lose really. I've now had about 6. Last one DOA, would not heat. Makes me nervous.
    Kinda funny, I always go back to my Janty Stick V2 for a backup when these things go haywire. Hmmmmm.
    BTW, found this thread with Google search!

15. Kate51

Mar 27, 2009
    Argyle Wi USA
    Just pulled another Joye stick from oblivion...switch had a bad film under it. Works better than new, but took me a long time to "exacto" it off. Jeweler's saw would work better. They used a lot of glue or weld on this one. I'm using liquid vinyl to stick them back on, want to leave an easy re-do if needed. But must be tight enough to keep the switch lock slide from slipping.
    Another $30 for more groceries, thanks very much!

16. Kate51

Mar 27, 2009
    Argyle Wi USA
    Just another word of caution ~ I had another stick with broken wires on the atty contact. So I took out the circuit board to get to it, which also broke the ground wire loose from the battery cover ring.
    I used Wires from a telephone cord to rewire all three, left a little more slack than the old wires, like Shadow Rider did. Works great, so far!! A learning experience, for sure, especially the connection to the center post on the atty connection. Not a whole lot of room inside there either.
    Again found the liquid vinyl works really well to reattach the bottom. Just need a tiny bit on two corners. But the atomizer contact has to be epoxied for maximum hold.
    I did use a jeweler's saw to remove the bottom end, the Joye Sticks are rather harder to get off.

17. Bootyology

Bootyology Full Member ECF Veteran

Mar 25, 2009
    NYC
    I've been frustrated recently with my v3 switch; this thread is a very early google result. Anyways someone asked about the efficacy of the 3n1 oil and that question wasn't answered. Though I can't answer that question directly, I can say that wd40 sprayed on to the switch and setting in drastically improves it. No more random cut offs, though 1/15 presses still results in a misfire for me. Almost good as new!

18. PVPuff&Stuff

PVPuff&Stuff Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

I've had success with a sink full of hot water. Remove the battery lid, battery, and atomizer. Aggressively swish it back and forth under water, let it drain, repeat a few times. Let dry for a couple three days and all problems with button activation are gone. Had two of them sitting around that didn't want to work, now both my V2 and V3 sticks work just fine.

Plastics and solvents don't go together all that well, I'd stay away from anything like rubbing alcohol....hot hot water works just fine. Looks like liquid had gotten down into and onto the circuit board and was interrupting good contact with the button.

Best yet, I didn't have to go at it with a knife. :p

19. Para

Para Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2010
    Texas
    I just got one and the vapor production SUCKS.....and I'm using genuine attys. Any thoughts about where to check? I've tried 4 attys, new batteries....and nothing helps.

TIA

20. tmbrown327

Mar 27, 2009
    RI
    The V3 sticks (attie connectors) are a little fussy about which 801 attties they'll work with. Maybe you have some that are on the edge? You could try the staple mod and see if that helps. Or it may be your juice. Juice that works well in another device, may not be suitable for the stick. A low resistance attie might help it along as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.