Japanese Cotton Pad Pricing - The Bad, the Good and Other Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
Since most temperature controlled vapers use cotton wicks I thought I would add some of what I have discovered about a lot of predatory pricing schemes by vape shops and a lot of Ebay vendors.

It is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous about how A LOT OF vape SHOPS and Ebay vendors are OVERCHARGING THE USERS OF JAPANESE COTTON, especially the trademark name KOH GEN DO.

Apparently KOH GEN DO is a cosmetics company and sell their own private-labeled pads. Size: 3.25" x 2.25" (82.55mm x 57.15mm) $12.00 per box of 60 pads.
That's 283,064 sq. mm at 0.00004239 cents per sq. mm.
I have heard their shipping prices are high, but did not verify.
Barneys New York, a cosmetic supplier, will ship them free and their price is a $12.00 per 60 ct. box also.
Dermstore dot com also is the same price and free shipping as Barneys New York.
Sally Beauty Supply (both a B&M store and online) Same price per box plus sales tax since they're in just about every state plus shipping.

Then go to a vape shop online or specialty shop online...
Whoops! Bend over and grab the AstroGlide!
astro_zpsbsnslfs4.jpg

vapingcotton dot com price: $9.00 for THREE pads... that's pads. THREE single pads plus shipping
myfreedomsmokes dot com: $4.95 for SIX pads plus shipping
japaneseorganiccotton dot com: various rip-off prices of Japanese cotton pads.
(They carry about 12 different brands but not Koh Gen Do. Prices have more than doubled in about six months. $36 - 40 for 100 pads. I originally bought from them back in December 2014 and paid $8 for 40 pads... yes I hadn't done my homework yet. Now it's $16.)
myvaporstore dot com: Pack of 5 Sheets Each sheet is 2-1/2" x 2" $6.00 plus shipping
vaperev dot com: Pack of 5 sheets $2.00 plus shipping (Most reasonable I've seen so far for a vape shop.)
fluidvaper dot com: 1 pad of KGD $.79 each plus shipping.

At Amazon you can get Labo ORGANIC Cotton Puff 50mm x 60mm pad 200 ct. for $7.69 , but you have to order a total of $35.00 for free shipping or pay shipping
or
VapeEmpire at Amazon charges $14.95 for 15 KGD pads! ONE DOLLAR EACH! OUCH! plus $5.95 shipping if you don't want to add another $20.05 of products

A lot of Ebay vendors are also predatory in their pricing schemes and scams:
Vendor A: 80 Koh Gen Do pads for $29.95 free shipping or "Generic" pad 5 each for $3.50 free shipping.
Vendor B: 24 Koh Gen Do pads for $16.91 free shipping
Vendor C: 27 Koh Gen Do pads for $13.49 free shipping
Vendor D: 24 Koh Gen Do pads for $17.50 free shipping
(Using Vendor C's pricing; 0.00010590 cents per sq. mm. That's nearly 2.5 times higher that Koh Gen Do's pricing.)

However there are a few good vendors on Ebay selling what's known as Muji or other brands of cotton pads, yes they're organic and measure 50mm x 60mm, some other makers sizes vary a little but not much.
One vendor based in Japan sells Muji Brand 5cm x 6cm - 140 pads shipped air mail from Japan for $6.40 US dollars.
That is 420,000 sq mm at 0.00001524 cents per sq. mm. (The name brand Koh Gen Do is 275% higher per sq. mm. Sold in the 60ct. package.) Just for the brand name.

Shiseido cotton pads are a good deal too; 160 2" x 3" pads for $9.50 at places like Sephora which has B&M stores plus online ordering.

There are a lot of Japanese companies selling organic cotton pads, basically they're all about the same except for pad sizes and thickness. From what a relative of mine told me, who happens to be Japanese, there is NO DIFFERENCE in quality of the pads themselves. Just sizing and thickness and that's it.

To use a phrase that is often used but heeded all to rarely; CAVEAT EMPTOR. A Latin phrase for "let the buyer beware." Essentially it proclaims that the buyer must perform their due diligence when purchasing an item or service.

Fellow temperature control vapers, please don't fall victim to these outright rip-offs and scams.

Be very discerning and do your homework first. A lot of newbies to vaping succumb to this type of pricing

I hope this info is of some help to those using cotton wicking.

Last edited:

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
My favorite B&M sells pads for a very small markup which is fine in a pinch same with wire. The ladies in my wife's family are all cosmotologists so I have an unlimited supply of cotton pads lol. I've got to research and get the best bang for my buck. I don't have unlimited funds. All of my mods have come from online vendors my latest being a sig 150w for $64 to my door which sells at local B&M's for $90 to $140 depending on the shop. Thanks for the post, research is your best friend in the vaping world today. I personally had to back away from TC for the time being although I will miss my dna 40 and my IPV 4. The technology is changing almost weekly now. The dna 200 is causing a big stir atm. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching the evolution I was in the middle of the p.c. evolution in the 90's. Customers would come in weekly for the next big thing. Kept me busy for a while though. Good post thanks.

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Just like buying anything if you look around you can get better prices. I just purchased 80 KGD sheets for $5.99 on sale from Amazon, I have prime so the shipping is free. Amazon currently has 80 KGD sheets for as low as $10.80 (free shipping with prime membership) + shipping if you do not have prime which is no different then every other online retailer that charges shipping. I find ebay to be on the high side of pricing anymore unless you are buying collectables. Local vape shops are resellers and have a markup on everything they sell in order to cover their overhead.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I buy Ko Gen Doh at the same beauty supply store my wife shops at. They've got a box of 60 pads for $12.

http://www.sephora.com/pure-cotton-...Cotton P300602&skuId=1386382&_requestid=77699

I usually buy from them simply because it's right down the road from my house so there is no waiting on shipping. If I need it, they've got it. Of course with 60 large pads I haven't and won't need any more for a LONG time.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Duplicate post - Forum Hiccup

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Deleted duplicate post. Forum Hiccup - Robino1

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
OP, your original post does not fit the definition of price gouging. I hear people complain about places that sell stuff at high prices and everyone is so quickly to throw around the term "price gouging" but truly it only applies in certain situations.

In so far as the true definition of price gouging, you are correct and I stand corrected.

Let's just say "profiteering" then... The act of making an unreasonable profit not justified by the corresponding assumption of risk, or by doing so unethically.

Reactions: Fit_Four_Life

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
I buy Ko Gen Doh at the same beauty supply store my wife shops at. They've got a box of 60 pads for $12.

http://www.sephora.com/pure-cotton-P300602?keyword=KOH GEN DO Pure Cotton P300602&skuId=1386382&_requestid=77699

I usually buy from them simply because it's right down the road from my house so there is no waiting on shipping. If I need it, they've got it. Of course with 60 large pads I haven't and won't need any more for a LONG time.

I guess triple posting the same reply got your point across... :rolleyes:

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
I should do that, too.

Buy 140pc Muji for $7 and sell them for $1/pc. The margin is enormous.
Just have to find customers that are willing to pay that^^

Seriously though, I'd never buy cotton in a vapestore. Either I get free cotton with most of my attys or I just bought 140 Muji pads for 7 bucks. They should last for decades.

Reactions: DingerCPA

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Good OP post. I got a box of KGD from dermstore for the $12 all in a while back. I think that's alrwady a high enough price for a box of cotton. What the vape vendors are getting is crazy. Wire is exactly the same. TEMCo sells 100 ft spools for reasonable prices. Vape vendors and shops mark it up 10x or more for tiny spools. Free market and I understand the cost of repackaging small quantities but at a certain point, it gets ridiculous.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I guess triple posting the same reply got your point across... :rolleyes:

Forum glitch, I didn't do it. Before the mods deleted the duplicate posts you would have seen that all 3 had the exact same time. The forum is supposed to automatically prevent duplicate posts, this time it actually created them.

Reactions: Nibiru2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread