Johnson Creek is closing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Submarine123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
Check your email if you’re on their newsletter.

This is such a shame. They were one of the best companies around and defined every aspect of exactly what a vaping company should be like.

It was that stupid law that drove away their fantastic flavorings before the reformulations. It killed them.

You’d think they’d have found a a way to keep their old flavoring suppliers. You don’t have Johnson Creek without Silverthorn.

And they were one of the very few companies that did the right thing and always did refunds and replacements. So sad.

They will be missed IMO.

rkg1

Unregistered Supplier
Oct 9, 2017
www.vape-box.com
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier posting

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Although I've not bought anything from them in a very long time it is still sad to see them closing up shop. :( They were the first shop I bought e-liquid from once I learned that my tiny cartridges could be refilled.

I still have the little round can containing 10 tiny amber dropper bottles I purchased while trying to find the best flavor for me. (still have all the empty bottles in the can) I really liked their Arctic Menthol but quickly moved on to DIY. If everyone was like me all the e-liquid companies would go out of business. Thankfully for a lot of them, everyone is not like me. :D

I wish them good luck in their future endeavors.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm looking at the Johnson Creek web site and haven't noticed any evidence they are going out of business. April 1st is like 6 months away.

It's there in a letter to their customers. Closed as of tomorrow. @gcvt posted the link. you just have to get by the age screen and it's there.

Reactions: stols001

BillAnt

Oct 9, 2017
Wow, I just woke up after 3pm EST(third shifter ya know), and missed their final sale.
Sad to see them fold, it was my daily juice for almost a decade... though I never vaped it straight being too strong of a flavor for my liking, I have diluted it with 1 part juice, 2 parts VG/PG.
Luckily I still have about 600ml (yep that's 20x 30ml bottles:) + 1200ml VG/PG) of their juice left which should hold me over for about half a year.
Anyway, if anyone out there has any JC Original and/or Tennessee Cured left they want to sell, hit me up with a private message.
Also, does anyone have any suggestions as a replacement juice which closely resembles their JC Original and/or Tennessee Cured.

Thanks guys and girls!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's there in a letter to their customers. Closed as of tomorrow. @gcvt posted the link. you just have to get by the age screen and it's there.
So the letter says they are in bankruptcy. I suppose that can happen to anyone. I wonder how it could happen to a private company like this unless they boorrowed a lot of money on a gamble that didn't work out. I had a business I started on my kitchen table and struggled for 18 months before things started working well. I never borrowed a dime. I wouldn't even take 30 days terms. Everybody was paid onn delivery. So when it was time to end it there was no pain, no banks and money left over. I wonder if we'll ever hear how this happened.

BillAnt

Oct 9, 2017
So the letter says they are in bankruptcy. I suppose that can happen to anyone. I wonder how it could happen to a private company like this unless they boorrowed a lot of money on a gamble that didn't work out. I had a business I started on my kitchen table and struggled for 18 months before things started working well. I never borrowed a dime. I wouldn't even take 30 days terms. Everybody was paid onn delivery. So when it was time to end it there was no pain, no banks and money left over. I wonder if we'll ever hear how this happened.

I have a feeling that it may have something to do with their messed up flavors produced after Aug 2016, or they simply sold out to big tobacco.
I have always used their juices diluted 1:2 (JC:VG/PG) so it didn't really affect me as much as those who vaped it straight. Well if it's their flavor they should have done something about it, if it's really bankruptcy then it's management's fault (for possibly taking huge paychecks).
If they sold out to big tobacco, that might explain why they couldn't sell their traditional favors since Aug. 2016. They sold the formula to the big boys, and sold their s*hit to us. What a shame...
Like the member above I have started a small niche biz 17 years ago with next to nothing, never ever borrowed and only re-invested the generated revenue, and still in biz today.
I really wish to find out the real truth behind this (former) great American company, which I have actually trusted putting their products into my lungs. I really didn't see this coming, but was upset at their reformulations.
Anyone found any juice similar to JC's Original and Tennessee Cured? and I mean really close. Thanks.

Last edited:

Submarine123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
Nothing out there is like old Johnson Creek. It’s like they used to use organic bakery extracts for flavoring (definately could sense it from Vanda) and possibly even Artificial Smoke extract. Most other companies use TFA and the like, or Capella, and those flavorings have always struck me as a little artificial compared to JC’s old juices. JC’s old juices actually tasted like “real” tobacco or “real” food extracts, which is why some folks hated their flavors, but I loved them for being the unsweetest liquids on the market, I loved their Customer Service (better than Walmart!), and JC’s juices tasted “real.”

They didn’t sell out to big tobacco. They simply partnered with a small-time Cigar Company to have their products stocked at Discount Tobacco stores, which I thought was a great move for them. They’re flavors reformulated like 4 years after that because their flavor supplier was afraid of the FDA.

Oh, and they made juices for Blu like back from 2008-2010. Those flavors were also nothing like JC’s bottled versions so I don’t see how it could have stopped JC from making their same old recipies.

It was really the reformulation change. They explained it in great detail. Vapers had a fit, but I found a few of them to still be better than many out there. Just, vapers botcotted them after that. JC hated the change too and admitted they had not much time to work things out.

Berkley was the grandfather of true vaping in the USA. Let’s hope they bounce back, I never wanted this company to close.

However, they did too many weird things. Everyone loved the original Vea and the fancy tins and it all appealed to “professionals”, “older people”, and folks that loved brand loyalty.

Then they stopped making it such a “this is Johnson Creek all way” thing and started selling Ego Batteries and outdated Kanger Mods. They should have always stuck to what made them “them” in their highlight days.

I honestly trust that they’re being truthfull about the difficulties they’ve faced. I’ve talked to a lot if the JC people very personally. But the FDA screwed up one of America’s best companies and business models.

My only hope is that *maybe* this is a ploy to showcase to the FDA how much damage their rules are doing to the most upstanding companies.

For anyone looking for JC replacements, you’re out of luck. Nothing compares. However, Ripe Vapes vapes very much like JC does, you get the sense that natural oils an flavorings are used.

If you’re looking for a company with a business model as great as JC, Cue all the way. I think Veppo are good on refund issues too.

About the closest thing I can think of is too is Blue, they now sell bottled flavors and their Tobacco is just like old Johnson Creek, like a mix of Silverthorn and maybe Domestic. Their Carolina Bold is a little akin to Genuine 22.

For a Vanda replacement, the Cue pods are rather spot on, but Charlie Noble’s Custard is fantastic. Different from Vanda but equal in having a rather natural taste.

Overall, JC had “mature” flavors that appealed to older/mature vapers like me that want notes of organic flavors that aren’t sweet but feel realistic. They helped me stop smoking many times.

Submarine123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
And people should have gave the new formulas a real good chance. When people first bought em, they were fresh. Way later on, I tried the new versions which were dated about 6 months old, and the steeping did them wonders.

Birchwood Vanilla was still fantastic. Vanda was still fantastic. Domestic killed coils but tasted just like the original (the steep in mind). Gold Reserve changed drastically but way better coil life and I enjoyed it. Their reformulated menthols were whack though. The juice would turn black in the tank after some moderate puffs, and it killed the flavor.

Founder’s Reserve wasn’t bad afterward either. You really just had to check that your bottle had been made at least 6 months prior and it made the reformulations 10x better than if they were fresh.

Their Espresso was quite good too after the change. It was like a Kretek-Chai-Espresso. The Reps were always so happy when I called in to tell them I was still enjoying the flavors. They’ve done so many good things for me over the years.

Come back JC! Just, do JC the way it was meant to be!

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
They had to change their flavor formulations for the same reasons Alien Visions doesn't make Boba's Bounty anymore. Key ingredient suppliers were no longer willing to supply them.

Blu was the first electronic cigarette I ever tried. The original tobacco flavor was so good. It convinced me I could quit smoking.

Soon after joining ECF, I learned that Johnson Creek's Red Oak Domestic was the same as the Blu, and I bought brown bottle after brown bottle of it. Then I discovered DIY juice making and my first successful commercial clone was Red Oak Domestic.

Sometime in late 2014 or early 2015 I discovered that I was a bigger fan of non-tobacco flavors and rarely ever now vape tobacco. But I give credit to Johnson Creek for starting me on this here life saving path I'm on.

Submarine123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2015
Yeah JC once sent out a newsletter saying that a new FDA law scared their flavoring supplier away from doing business with any vaping companies.

I really wish I knew the company so that I could order some flavorings for my “birthday cake”, ya know!

That’s what I wish JC would reveal. We could even blast that flavoring company for being wusses and destroying the ultimate vapor company. It’s not as thought these new laws afftected flavoring manufacturers.

But I do know for certain that JC’s original flavor supplier was not TFA or anything like that. I’d have guessed Lorann’s but the selsction just isn’t there.

Actually, I heard once that Berkley invented JC Original in his basement using bakery extracts and liquid smoke. I’d have believed it. Their juices were all so authentic in flavor. I think the old Gold Reserve actually had real honey in it from really looking at the viscocity and smelll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread