Johnson Creek VALET filling system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I just noticed this yesterday on their site. Basically a custom syringe-based vacuum system to fill cartos.

Valet

This looks pretty interesting. I've often wondered if it was possible to use some kind of vacuum system to suck juice into a carto, and looks like they have done it with a syringe and some custom caps that allow you to fill a carto directly off the bottle and push the excess back into the bottle.

Not sure how well it would work with a punched carto, although it looks from the video like the silicone caps would cover the carto punches. I haven't measured them, but the JC Vea cartos seem to be about the same size as a regular 510.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
FWIW I read the review Spinfuel did on these and thought they looked interesting. I had enough questions about them to sit back and wait for some ECF members to purchase and post there thoughts before considering them, though. :)

Thanks for the review pointer. I figure for $10 you can't really go wrong and even if you wanted to hack your own setup with rubber tubing and a syringe it wouldn't work half as well and would cost more.

I think the real value might be in easy refills. I can fill 808s with the condom method but I avoid trying to refill them because I don't get good results topping them. I also use prefilled Veas from time to time and it'd be great to have a fool proof way of refilling both of them. The cartos themselves may be less useful after a couple of refills but I'm pretty sure there's more life in them than single use if the refills were simple.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
My Johnson Creek Valet filling system came in the mail this week.

The system consists of two pieces, a modified screw-on bottle cap with a silicone tube insert and a syringe body with a silicone tube on the end.

To use it you remove the cartomizer mouth cap and place the cartomizer threaded end into the tube at the top of the bottle cap. The syringe end gets placed over the mouth piece end of the cartomizer. You then invert the entire assembly so the bottle is on top and draw back on the syringe plunger until you've drawn about 1 ml of liquid into the syringe body. Then you turn it back over, bottle-end down, and push down on the syringe plunger a couple of times to clear the cartomizer draw tube.

The cartomizer is now filled. There was a slight pooling on the top of the cartomizer filler but I let them sit as I filled them and it absorbed in. I put the mouth tip back in and blew them out (very little came out) and put the silicone condoms back on for storage and later use.

I think it works pretty slick. I filled about 12 Kanger stainless KR808D1 cartomizer in about the same time I would have done 5 the condom method and it's pretty much an assembly-line operation because you're not measuring or doing any waiting while you do it. Place, pull, pump and remove.

I'm sure this was designed to be used with Johnson Creek cartomizers which are longer than vanilla 510s, but I think it will fit pretty much any cartomizer that has a standard 510 diameter. My KR8081Ds are a little shorter than Johnson Creek cartomizer so they set deeper in the cap tube, but there was enough exposed cartomizer body to easily fit the plunger tube over the cartomizer and fill it.

I also used it to prime a Smoke 1.5Ω flanged carto. This was a little awkward but the tube was flexible enough that I could insert the cartomizer in past the flange and prime it. I put the cartomizer into a tank and it vaped great, no burned taste so I think it does a pretty thorough job of filling.

My only long-term concern is whether the cartomizers are getting as full as they do with the condom method. I've only fully vaped a single KR808D1 cartomizer filled with this but it seems to have gotten about the same amount of use as a condom-filled one without any dry hits or burning, so I think it's working, plus it primed the tank carto as well.

For $10 I think this is a pretty worthwhile gadget if you fill a lot of cartos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread