The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Joyetech Penguin

Discussion in 'Vape Pod Systems' started by cooladdict, Apr 17, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TJVapes

TJVapes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    USA
    I haven't had any problems with coils since I started soaking my coils as @mikepetro suggested. I only soak 1 at a time usually for 2 days. Once I feel my coil starting to drop off, I drop a new one in PG or VG. I only use one DIY juice in the penguin. I've used about 250 mL so far in the penguin. Its a strawberry, acai, coconut that i mix at 8%. I think it's fine for flavor, but if I want to enjoy a rich bakery flavor or something multilayered, I use an RDA.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dansus

dansus Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2016
    London
    May have a found a trick with the coils, after burning through my 5th coil in 48hours, i was wicking up a new one and thought i would give the coil a wiggle with a 2mm bit to loosen up the cotton.

Working well so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikepetro

mikepetro Vape Geek Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Week 2 of the 10 year rule.
    ROFLMAO, there was actually about 40% more out there last night, but the scavengers have already raided it.

upload_2017-12-3_16-56-10.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. mikepetro

Supporting member
    Ooops, sorry, wrong thread.

5. mikepetro

Supporting member
    But since I posted it here, might as well show you last week.
    The premise is "if I havent touched it in 10 years, to the curb it goes".
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. dansus

dansus Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2016
    London
    @mikepetro Is that a weeks supply of burnt out penguin coils?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    Can I get your address?

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. TJVapes

TJVapes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    USA
    @mikepetro That must feel so satisfying. I recently sent a closet full to Goodwill to make room for a DIY vape station. I try not to hoard, but I do have my vices. On topic, Luckily, thanks to your advice it's not bags of penguin coils getting kicked out.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mikepetro

Supporting member
    No, but there was a "Walkman" and a collection of about 200 cassettes in the pile.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NikkiHen

NikkiHen Full Member

Oct 13, 2017
    PNW USA
    My husband and I are actually looking for stuff to get rid of to make room for a Mod display cabinet :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kevineleven

Kevineleven New Member

Mar 5, 2013
    oc, ca
    IMG-5140 (1).JPG IMG-5139.JPG hey guy! new to the forum just wanted to share my little mod to the my new penguin
    its printed with a flexible material so it would be a little softer on my teeth if they happen to make contact with them haha

• Like Like x 4
  12. Thiago C

Thiago C Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Hi, @Fredean! I know this post is a little bit old, but I just got an used Penguin SE device today. I've read about the coils wicking / burning problem before purchasing it but I thought I could give it a try. First I've tried to use an used coil from the previous owner, cleaned it up a bit with a cotton swab. Pocked two holes in it and used a 50/50 juice. It lasted about 20 puffs or less, then I got a dry / harsh throat hit. Throwed it out and tried a new 0.6ohm coil. Did the same: pocked two holes in it, wicked it really well and let it in the tank for 40 minutes. Before firing it I sucked in the airflow a couple of times. I think I did that with too much force and got liquid in my mouth. So I opened it up, cleaned it and started vaping. It was gurgling a bit, and minutes later I started to get juice in my mouth. Removed the cartridge and noticed some leaking. Maybe I shouldn't have done the two holes in it for a 50/50 juice? I just put a little of a 70/30 juice in the tank because it's thicker. I'll try to vape with this coil with a 70/30 juice and for 50/50 I'll poke just one hole.

What's your experience with it?

Did you had any problems with the leakage damaging the battery?

Thanks in advance and best regards!

13. cooladdict

cooladdict Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2012
    Seahawk Nation
    Hi @Thiago C! Sorry to jump in here but I saw your diilema and I am hoping I can help. :) You probably flooded your coil. I haven't had any problems with my recent Penguin coils (I use the .25s) lately. I use a higher VG blend juice. I found that when I drop juice into the juice chamber on a new coil I can tell immediately if it will need holes poked into it by how fast the juice draws down into the cotton. If it sits in the chamber and doesn't draw down within a few seconds, that's when I poke holes in the cotton. If the juice draws down quickly, I just fill the chamber about 3 times to ensure that the cotton is saturated, then I load the coil. If I have to poke holes in the cotton I fill the chamber 4 times and I make sure all of the juice has been sucked up by the cotton before I load it.

I have noticed that if I let my tank sit empty for any length of time, that coil is probably ruined. I don't know why that is, but it seems that when these coils become dry they stop wicking.

If you have juice in your Penguin, it is likely that your coil is not seated all the way. The coil should not stick out from the silicon housing at all. Not even a tiny bit. In fact, it should be just slightly indented. I had that problem with one of my replacement cartridges. I had to REALLY push the coil into it to get a seal and I had quite a bit of leakage into the mod before I figured it out, but I am still using the same mod many months later. It didn't damage the mod in the least!

I hope you find your way with your new Penguin very soon. It really is an amazing little mod! I still love mine and use it every single day.

One thing to remember- make sure you turn it off if you put it in your pocket. If it fires off, it WILL burn the coil and ruin it. It can also damage the tank (ask me how I know, lol!). I wish you the best with your new Penguin! :)

14. cooladdict

cooladdict Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2012
    Seahawk Nation
    That's awesome! How tight is the draw with the new tip?

15. Kevineleven

Kevineleven New Member

Mar 5, 2013
    oc, ca
    it feels slightly more restricted. Pretty nice because i wanted to use the restrictor block but reading on here seemed like it isn't compatible. I could make the inner diameter of the tip smaller for a more restrictive draw!

16. Thiago C

Thiago C Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Hey, @cooladdict! Thanks for your reply! I just refilled my cartridge with more 70/30 juice. When I put the cartridge upside down to refill it some liquid leaked through the chimney. After 5 puffs or so it started gurgling. So it's leaking from below, under the coil and accumulating liquid to the point that the juice goes to the chimney. The gurgling was nasty so I just put the cartridge upside down to check it and there's liquid flowing / leaking through the air flow.

I think the coil is well seated in the silicon as well, as you can see:

upload_2018-2-19_15-37-20.png

Right now I can't tell if a new coil will need holes poked into it just by filling the chamber and observing like you do. I don't know if I'll get the hang of it in the future.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did some pulling in the cotton as well, because someone here posted this tip. Maybe that's the problem. I've used some tweezers to do that:

"My temp solution is get a needle or something small that you can fit into the top, then push in the edges of the material inside of it. I think this works because more liquid flows into easier allowing the atty to be soaked better, thus the atty doesn't burn."

@hannarules / Joyetech Atopack Penguin coils review

This coil I'm currently using is very unpractical because of the leaking and gurgling. I'll try your method and some others and see what works best! Thanks, again!

17. dennism

dennism Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland
    The few times I had leaking down the chimney was becaused I over filled the cartridge.

18. Thiago C

Thiago C Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I haven't overfilled because I've read that it could lead to coil problems. Just filled until 6.6ml or so!

• Like Like x 1
  19. dennism

dennism Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland
    If when refilling the cartridge some juice leaks into the chimney, the only thing I can think is that you have a bad cartridge.

20. Jingles

Jingles Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My Dolphin died this week. It won't light up when I try to fire it. When I put it on the charger, all 5 lights will light up for a minute or so and then they go out. I kept my dolphin in my coat pocket. all I can figure is that I got snow in the pocket from my gloves and then it melted and went into the dolphin. Hoping it will dry out and come back to life. Of course, that may not be the problem. Haven't tried a different coil yet. Anyone else have something similar happen to their dolphin or penguin?