Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I have not replaced the tank part yet but I am being pretty careful what kind of juice I put in it. I am unsure if these tanks are going to react like many of the early plastic tanks did and crack/etch with certain flavors so I am sticking to non tank cracker type flavors.

Edit: Also when the tank/penguin was new I had some trouble gripping the tank to pull it out for refilling/new coil. Between my arthritis and the overly smooth rounded shape it could be kinda rough. I just grabbed one of those thin rubber/silicon discs most of us have in the kitchen to open jars with to grab it with and problem solved.

• Useful
Reactions: mikepetro

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
My original question was in reference to the pod (cartridge) not the coils.
I have several "spare" pods and have swapped them out, but none have ever gone bad.

I just fill up a spare pod and keep it at my desk at work for when my active one runs dry. Pull out the empty and stick in a full, takes 5 seconds. Very convenient for that. Fill up 2-3 pods to take on a weekend trip, etc.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I am quite intrigued about these I have to say.

Apart from the appearance, what exactly are the differences between the Dolphin and the Penguin? I cannot seem to find anything conclusive. Is the Dolphin seen as a replacement for the Penguin, or an additional set up?
I think it is just a newer model with a few tweaks to address complaints about the Penguin.

The only major differences are:
  • 10% larger battery.
  • Side juice fill port instead of pulling the coil to fill, which was considered awkward/messy by some.
  • A new 1.2 ohm coil option to cater to the MTL crowd that also includes a air restricter block as many MTL folks felt the airflow was too loose on the penguin. So, ie, a tighter draw for those that want it.
    • Note that the 1.2 ohm coil can be used with the penguin too, just without the air restricter.
  • Larger fire button that is less prone to covering the air inlet with your thumb while firing. Some complained of covering the airhole while firing.
  • And while this is not a plus, the Dolphin has a 30% smaller tank. It was just a design decision as I dont think anyone complained about the 8.8ml capacity. I liked the larger tank myself, and will probably stick with the Penguin because of it.
That, and the shape, are the only differences.

tosarge

Jul 30, 2017
Been awhile since I posted about my experiences with the Penquin although I do still follow the
thread. I haven't had one bad coil since my last posts. The one big reason I have to believe is in Priming the coils. It's the number one top priority when adding a new coil or first starting out. If you think you've primed it enough, prime it some more. @mikepetro has a nice post about his method which I am doing now also, pre soaking the next coil to use is a great idea.
My method of using that first new coil is to drip the top opening feed hole , let that soak in
and repeat until the liquid actually starts to flow out on the bottom coil base. You can set the coil on a paper towel and keep doing that. My coils now are lasting until I think the flavor is diminishing , not because of bad or burnt hit. I also no longer have to pull my coil out to refill because of a modification I've done to my cartridges.
(not recommending this, just explaining what I did)
I made a top fill hole by piercing the cartridge on top between the air inlet and mouthpiece. My method to do that was by using a pliers to hold a nail and heating the nail using a Bic lighter and boring into the tank. Making sure the hole was large enough to insert the fill tip of the liquid bottle or those eye dropper tips. I then used the shortest flat headed screw I had available (any hardware store will have) Here's a pic of my well used unappealing looking Penquin. I also still use a sticker to cover full air intake. Easy to adjust amount of opening I find I like.
Note: IF you should happen to try this, Don't remove the screw unless to refill. Having liquid
in the tank and the hole left open will cause your tank to flood, that seal must be air tight or the atmospheric pressure will try and equalize all the chambers.
H5tEQVL.jpg

I have one ugly Penquin , but it's working awesome and I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikepetro

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Since I don't get the best flavor, out of these, would increasing my flavor percents (diy) help? For flavor on a 1 to 10 scale I'd give them a 6. I like them alot just wondering how to get better flavor.
I cant help you there, I run unflavored in mine as it greatly extends the coil life. I hate having to throw away coils any faster than I have to. For flavored juices I always use a rebuildable, wire and wick are cheap.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Been awhile since I posted about my experiences with the Penquin although I do still follow the
thread. I haven't had one bad coil since my last posts. The one big reason I have to believe is in Priming the coils. It's the number one top priority when adding a new coil or first starting out. If you think you've primed it enough, prime it some more. @mikepetro has a nice post about his method which I am doing now also, pre soaking the next coil to use is a great idea.
My method of using that first new coil is to drip the top opening feed hole , let that soak in
and repeat until the liquid actually starts to flow out on the bottom coil base. You can set the coil on a paper towel and keep doing that. My coils now are lasting until I think the flavor is diminishing , not because of bad or burnt hit. I also no longer have to pull my coil out to refill because of a modification I've done to my cartridges.
(not recommending this, just explaining what I did)
I made a top fill hole by piercing the cartridge on top between the air inlet and mouthpiece. My method to do that was by using a pliers to hold a nail and heating the nail using a Bic lighter and boring into the tank. Making sure the hole was large enough to insert the fill tip of the liquid bottle or those eye dropper tips. I then used the shortest flat headed screw I had available (any hardware store will have) Here's a pic of my well used unappealing looking Penquin. I also still use a sticker to cover full air intake. Easy to adjust amount of opening I find I like.
Note: IF you should happen to try this, Don't remove the screw unless to refill. Having liquid
in the tank and the hole left open will cause your tank to flood, that seal must be air tight or the atmospheric pressure will try and equalize all the chambers.
H5tEQVL.jpg

I have one ugly Penquin , but it's working awesome and I love it.

Now that’s someone who knows what they like from a vape. Good for you.

Reactions: tosarge

dansus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Got given a penguin, filled up half way and vaped away. I really like vape quality and didnt have any wicking issues, until i filled to the top. Instant dry hit, bah!

3 burnt pods later, decided that was enough to start fiddling. Pulled the coil apart and rewicked with fluffy cotton, wicking like a charm. Will drill some 3mm holes on top and plug with BO rubber plugs for refilling.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread