Status
Not open for further replies.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
I have fallen in love with a Jr. Mint free with purchase sample I got. Unfortunatly this supplier doesn't sell this to the public so I am trying to replicate it. I tried a recipe I found here and it wasn't even close. I guess my question is about Creme de Menthe(tasted very medicinal) vs peppermint. Looked on a box of Jr. Mints and it says peppermint in it. I used Lorann's creme de menthe at 2.5% and a dark chocolate FA at .75%. with 50/50 12mg. Next time I will not use nic in the batch...learned that the hard way. Can anyone out there help with a new recipe? Thanks in advance.

I want to say that I read Capella's "chocolate mint" or something tastes like Junior Mints. I could be totally off though. It seems like it might be PA flavors because that is what he sells. I don't have a lot of the PA chocolates or mints to try though. There does seem to be an "alcoholly" mint going on in the sample I got so it could be creme de menthe. Mine smells more like just peppermint though, and the overall mint is kind of subtle, so start low with every flavor I think.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
If thats the popular Jr Mint Daddy from Nicvape, why don't you ask him how to make it. He sells DIY. My hats off to you if thats it, because its way too strong for me.

I have fallen in love with a Jr. Mint free with purchase sample I got. Unfortunatly this supplier doesn't sell this to the public so I am trying to replicate it. I tried a recipe I found here and it wasn't even close. I guess my question is about Creme de Menthe(tasted very medicinal) vs peppermint. Looked on a box of Jr. Mints and it says peppermint in it. I used Lorann's creme de menthe at 2.5% and a dark chocolate FA at .75%. with 50/50 12mg. Next time I will not use nic in the batch...learned that the hard way. Can anyone out there help with a new recipe? Thanks in advance.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
Just as an update, Rich at ##NicVape## - Online Store contacted me yesterday and said he will now sell the Jr. Mint Daddy to the public. I imagine he has gotten alot of calls in the past for it and finally caved. Since it's not on the website just yet you'll have to call him at (864) 706-2409 to order.
Got my 60 ml bottle in the mail. Yumm..............

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Just as an update, Rich at ##NicVape## - Online Store contacted me yesterday and said he will now sell the Jr. Mint Daddy to the public. I imagine he has gotten alot of calls in the past for it and finally caved. Since it's not on the website just yet you'll have to call him at (864) 706-2409 to order.
Got my 60 ml bottle in the mail. Yumm..............

Yippee! I love this stuff, thought I was gonna' have to hurt somebody to get some more, lol! I'm still going to try to make it on my own once my new batch of flavors come in from him. I'm sure I'll never get it right, but if anyone comes close, please post it.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
PA has a peppermint - you can buy it on their site and they have cheap first-class shipping

Keeping in mind that I have not made a single juice yet, my guess at what to try would be PA peppermint and PA double chocolate dark and sweeten to taste with diluted splendex/sucralose (rather than ethol maltol or cotton candy)

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-54-professional-diy-flavors.aspx

Last edited:

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
That was my thought exactly. I thought about mixing creme de menthe and peppermint with a chocolate? My peppermint should be here today and I already have the double chocolate in regular and dark. I'll keep you posted on my experiments. With the 60ml I ordered I should have about 2 months to figure it out. Wish me luck.
PA has a peppermint - you can buy it on their site and they have cheap first-class shipping

Keeping in mind that I have not made a single juice yet, my guess at what to try would be PA peppermint and PA double chocolate dark and sweeten to taste with diluted splendex/sucralose (rather than ethol maltol or cotton candy)

Perfumers Apprentice - Professional DIY Flavors

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
I use Lor Mint ChocChip 5%, Double Chocolate PA 20%, Creme de Menthe PA 5% hope that helps some.

The Lorann mint choc chip was next on my list then the Capella's dutch chocolate mint. Do you use a sweetener? If so what do you use and how much per ml? I am using sucralous .04ml per ml but cannot seem to get it sweet. Should I let it sit for a couple of weeks? I want it to be candy sweet.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Hey, I'm going to give you a sample. You won't be able to buy any more of the sample I'm giving you, but you can still sample it anyway. :?: Sorry, but am I totally missing the point of a sample?

Sorry, just couldn't let that one go. :laugh: Junior Mints are the only mint chocolate I like. York Peppermint Patties are . . . OK. Everything else is awful. I would go crazy if that happened to me. :laugh:

ExMarbRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
Asotin, WA
I hear ya!
I too received a 10ml bottle of this stuff with an order of plain nic juice and all I can say is WOW! It has everything... from the dark choc. to the exact mint flavor to the ever-so-subtle "waxy" finish. Just like a real Jr. Mint. Nothing I've tasted so far has hit the exact flavor it was named after like this does and I loves me some Jr Mints! :)
Since Rich didn't have it listed on his site I tried to re-create it... here's what I've tried so you don't have to....

80/20 PG/VG 14mg nic
10% Double Chocolate (TPA)
10% Cream De Menthe (TPA)
Close but no cigar (no pun intended)... not sweet enough and misses the dark dark choc flavor, was a little light on the mint - but all in all it was good enough that I went through the entire 5ml test batch before going back to Jr. Mint Daddy! :)

2nd try:
80/20 PG/VG 14mg nic
15% Cream De Menthe (TPA)
10% Double Chocolate (TPA) don't have any dark choco... that may help
3% Cotton Candy (TPA)
hummm.... starting to get a little harsh... to much flavoring? 28% Ouch... going to let this one steep for a while and revisit later.

3rd attempt:
Going to try some peppermint in place of (or with) the Cream De Menthe... who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

I've been pretty much all-day-vaping this stuff since I got it and would love to be able to make some more use the plain nic juice that I bought you know? I mean, if I have to I'll buy this stuff from Rich.... but I'd sure like to make my own. I"m cheap that way.... ;)
Be SURE to let us know if you get close!

Oh and if anyone has any doubt how good and close to the Jr Mint flavor this is, check out Dr Vapenstein's review on his blog. Just do a google search for Jr Mints Daddy.... it's #1 with this thread coming in a close second! :)

FreakyStylie: I'm pretty sure Rich has always been planning to offer this juice, just hadn't got it on his site yet. I can't wait to see what else he comes up with.... if you like Jr Mints you *have* to get some of this stuff. It's amazing!

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
FreakyStylie: I'm pretty sure Rich has always been planning to offer this juice, just hadn't got it on his site yet. I can't wait to see what else he comes up with.... if you like Jr Mints you *have* to get some of this stuff. It's amazing!

Thanks for that! I've been working with some mint flavors, and I know I'm going to be thinking of Jr Mints after this thread whenever I vape them. :laugh:

PA flavorings would be my hunch because that is what Rich first started out carrying. I don't have either PA peppermint or that particular chocolate to test though. There has to be something else because both of those flavorings are clear and the NicVape stuff is orange/red. MTS Vape wizard is very possible because it gives off a similar color.

What professional flavorists do sometimes is add a touch of something you would never expect to create a unique flavor, like guava in a junior mints blend. So, figuring out this type of thing isn't always so easy.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
What professional flavorists do sometimes is add a touch of something you would never expect to create a unique flavor, like guava in a junior mints blend. So, figuring out this type of thing isn't always so easy.

LOL, I do this with everything I do . . . drinks, barbecue sauce, basically any recipe. I add a little secret ingredient from 3rd base that works and makes it difficult for anybody to recreate. People are always trying to figure out why theirs doesn't taste as good as mine. For example . . . this is the only recipe secret I ever give out . . . I put a small pinch of cinnamon and sugar into my spaghetti . . . sometimes I puree carrots too. It tastes amazing, but you don't know why. You have to be really careful with the cinnamon, otherwise it will give itself away if you use too much.

I bet you're right about that one . . . the trick would be to get your palate to ignore the major flavors to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread