Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I vape at 10W or below. A friend asked me to make him some juice. He uses a low ohm tank, a Beast I think, at 180W. His brother drips at even higher power. They are having a problem with how much they spend on juice.

I can do the nic % they need and so forth. I was wondering if the flavoring % should be lower. Seems like if you burn through 10 times as much juice per drag you might not need as much flavoring. I've never vaped at high power so I don't know how that works.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the higher Vg/PG ratio might compensate for that. PG is more of a flavor carrier. I'd start out with your normal recipes and then if they feel under flavored to your friend and his brother, you can always raise them, but I'd think lowering would not be necessary, really. When I see sub0hmers buying commercial e-juice around here, they often ask for "extra" flavor, not "less" flavor. I didn't notice a HUGE increase in juice flavor when I was sub0hming starting out, in fact I felt that MTL vaping delivered MORE flavor per puff, and I tasted it more. The amount of vapor is compensated for by the delivery speed and DL (IMO). I think starting out where you usually do would be a great idea.

Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Yeah, makes sense. I made some tasters for them in 8ml flavoring sample bottles. See how that goes and adjust if I need to. Just wondered if there was a standard approach to this.

Making those small amounts was really hard. Smallest I ever made before was 15ml bottles. I aimed for 7mls so I would have a little headroom to shake it up. The amounts of flavoring were tiny even with a 1ml syringe, don't know how accurate it was. Think I got close enough for a taste test though.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Theres not a standard for it but there are just some recipes that just dont work really well at super high wattage. Its kind of a hit and miss. I agree that its normally more flavor for high wattage. Even thou you are getting ten times the flavor you are also getting ten times everything else so theoretically it should be the same. Like I said though, in the real world its just hit and miss

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
I vape at 10W or below. A friend asked me to make him some juice. He uses a low ohm tank, a Beast I think, at 180W. His brother drips at even higher power. They are having a problem with how much they spend on juice.

I can do the nic % they need and so forth. I was wondering if the flavoring % should be lower. Seems like if you burn through 10 times as much juice per drag you might not need as much flavoring. I've never vaped at high power so I don't know how that works.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Show a man how to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.

Just sayin'... ;)

I would give him lots of links on how to DIY for himself and show him the way. Give him whatever guidance you can supply and let him at it. Maybe start him out with a couple of bottles of your own DIY recipes and he'll find his own way eventually.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Show a man how to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.

Just sayin'... ;)

I would give him lots of links on how to DIY for himself and show him the way. Give him whatever guidance you can supply and let him at it. Maybe start him out with a couple of bottles of your own DIY recipes and he'll find his own way eventually.

Right. Guy and his brother are quite young (compared with me that is) and major vape heads. They have multiple tanks and huge mods and put a lot of time and energy into getting Big Clouds. They have friends who are into that stuff too. For some reason they never made juice. I figured if I could make them some juice they like they might get interested in mixing themselves.

He did offer to pay me for juice though. Who knows, I might even manage to make some profit out of my hobby. Pay the local Man commission for a Friday night spot in the parking lot behind Dirty Dan's Pizza and work from my truck.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Theres not a standard for it but there are just some recipes that just dont work really well at super high wattage. Its kind of a hit and miss. I agree that its normally more flavor for high wattage. Even thou you are getting ten times the flavor you are also getting ten times everything else so theoretically it should be the same. Like I said though, in the real world its just hit and miss

I should find out soon, I'll give him the samples I made and see how they work in his tanks. Interesting experiment really.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Right. Guy and his brother are quite young (compared with me that is) and major vape heads. They have multiple tanks and huge mods and put a lot of time and energy into getting Big Clouds. They have friends who are into that stuff too. For some reason they never made juice. I figured if I could make them some juice they like they might get interested in mixing themselves.

He did offer to pay me for juice though. Who knows, I might even manage to make some profit out of my hobby. Pay the local Man commission for a Friday night spot in the parking lot behind Dirty Dan's Pizza and work from my truck.

lol... I figured you'd get around to showing them how to do it anyway.

Big clouds do go through vast amounts of juice. When I'm doing a bit of cloud chasing I can go through 20ml in an evening in just one RDTA alone. I've cut back on that and just do it once in a while now.

When I'm high watt vaping I use the same juice that I make for my low watt vaping. If anything, I find higher wattages have less flavor than lower wattages.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    My theory is this: at extremely low power, say 5 watts for an old pen or maybe even less with some cigalikes, flavoring is controlled by the juice and the limited amounts of vapor. Once the vapor quantity becomes a little more substantial, 15 watts if efficient, you're using enough juice that the juice needs to be balanced within itself. Above that, more flavoring is consumed but so is more base which that flavoring needs to complement or balance. Of course, there's still differences of personal taste and device flavor production.

I use highly flavored, old favorite ejuices most of the time in my small devices and DIY stuff in my RDA.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    W. Ma. U.S.A.
    Making those small amounts was really hard. Smallest I ever made before was 15ml bottles. I aimed for 7mls so I would have a little headroom to shake it up. The amounts of flavoring were tiny even with a 1ml syringe, don't know how accurate it was.

Go the way of the weigh and stop messing with those silly syringes :) Mixing By Weight: Basics 101 But personally, I never make anything smaller than 10ml, bellow that the margin for error is pretty slim.

To the original question, I concur with others. High ohm is much less flavorful. My cloud blowing friends always like the higher % stuff I mix.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    I have no problem with diluting a "strong" flavor with some unflavored. I even have a store bought tobacco flavor I dilute at 50%. So I tend to go to the high side on flavoring with the intent/idea of diluting it down if it comes out a too strong. That seems easier to me rather then attempting to strengthen a flavor. If I find that necessary, I make notes and adjust future mixes accordingly until I get it dialed in.

Having said that, although strictly a sub-ohmer, I don't go anywhere near as high as the wattage they vape at.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Go the way of the weigh and stop messing with those silly syringes :) Mixing By Weight: Basics 101 But personally, I never make anything smaller than 10ml, bellow that the margin for error is pretty slim.

To the original question, I concur with others. High ohm is much less flavorful. My cloud blowing friends always like the higher % stuff I mix.

I'm going to try weighing. I got some decent scales a while ago but all I've used them for was weighing some menthol crystals. I might need an extra decimal place though to mix 7ml bottles. Think I'll stick to 13mls in a 15ml bottle from now on.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I'm going to try weighing. I got some decent scales a while ago but all I've used them for was weighing some menthol crystals. I might need an extra decimal place though to mix 7ml bottles. Think I'll stick to 13mls in a 15ml bottle from now on.

I've done flavor tests of 10ml juice in 15ml needle tip bottles several times and just used the syringe method. Anything bigger than that and the scales make sense. I do 50ml in 60ml bottles all the time and I usually do several 100ml mixes in 120ml bottles, all glass. Both sizes leave plenty of shake room.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread