Juice Issue - Virgin Vapor, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Realizing that taste and smell are both really subjective, I was hoping someone here could tell me if they have experienced a similar issue.
I have tried about 50 juices or so, to date, and am always interested in trying more flavors, at least until I come to about 5 that I want to settle on. So far, I have two absolute favorites and two pending. The remainder of the juices I've tried were either "I'll keep for a rainy day" or I gave away instantly because it would never, ever happen.

I've been sticking to 100% VG this time.
And finding that many of the flavors I bought from my favorite vendor at this point were very similar in TH and flavor profile, I decided to do some research to find another good vendor with a bigger selection. I landed on Virgin Vapor and reading around, it seemed like many people like this vendor, so I decided on that.

After about a week, the much awaited juices arrived. Well-packaged and none leaked enroute. Good.

2mcexw7.jpg

I don't expect all of the juices I order to all be excellent. And if I hit 50%, I am satisfied. Heck, if I find one flavor I really like, I am good.
But with this order....I liked exactly 0%. And unlike my other vendors where I simply didn't like the flavor, taste or hit -- all of these bottles had the same issue.
They all had this back-end taste of melting rubber or plastic. I can't even describe it, really. Somewhat gasoline-like but heavy on the tongue and very rubbery and offensive (and overwhelming) taste.

Wait it out. Steep, right?

Now it's been about 18 days since I received them. Since day one after trying all of them once, I have left them opened and airing with a good shake every two days. I didn't steep in hot water, etc. but this was the best I could do. After one week, I tried one and some of the melting plastic flavor was slightly diminished but totally not vapeable for me. Two weeks later, I tasted again and still, not really something I would voluntarily vape. I can't!

I'm willing to chalk it to a loss. As of last night, the bottles are closed again and just hanging out in my growing juice basket where juices go to die, or get picked up by a friend of mine who is less picky (and extremely lucky).

But I did want to order from a different vendor that this forum seems to highly recommend -- Mt. Baker Vapors. (NOTE: in my original post, I had said "Velvet Vapors" not Mt. Baker.) I have about 7 flavors selected, including the highly recommended Butterscotch and Moo juice, etc. but I'm actually a bit scared to place this order.
What I have in my cart right now is as follows, all in 12mg nicotine:

20 PG/80 +1 shot
  • Banana
  • Watermelon
  • Ocean Breeze

Max VG
  • Strawberry Shortcake +1
  • Moo Juice +2
  • Butterscotch +1

70VG + Distilled H20 (just bec I feel like trying it)
  • Mango Tea +1

Keep in mind that I've been on 100% VG but did feel like testing out some PG, because if there is one thing I sort of miss, it's the throat hit, and I read some PG can increase that. (Correct?) Incidentally, I wanted to try Thug Juice but they are out. I'm also unfamiliar with this "added shot" business; I read a few threads on this forum to learn more about it and decided on these + numbers. I'm open to any suggestions on changing PG/VG ratios.

Now, my regular vendor is Velvet Cloud Vapors, which I was lucky to find via a friend of mine. My favorite flavors that I vape are from there. And while I may not like all of their juices, I know they are all vapeable even if I don't LIKE the flavor. With Virgin, I seem to have encountered a 100% failure rate. Even previously from ElixirLiquid.com -- I liked some of their juices, just not all.

By trade, I taste food and critique it for a living. So maybe my palate and sense of smell are overly sensitive -- maybe. :unsure: BUT, I find it hard to believe that mine is such that a flavor 99% of the people seemed to love is downright offensive to me. And given that all of the flavors were that horrid to me, I can't even say it's a bad batch of one flavor.

So I ask you guys this to see if (1) anyone else has experienced this and maybe figured out what the issue was, and (2) if anyone has had a similar experience from Velvet Vapor where I am hoping to place my next order?

I'm not really willing to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner and go through the whole proper steeping method. If needed, I don't mind waiting a week or two to start a juice, if it's really worth it. And as mentioned, I only want 3 more juices I really LOVE to have 5 available at all times.

Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
Here's my post from a recent thread:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-have-hand-all-times-virgin-vapor-flavor.html

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here but I no longer trust Virgin Vapors. I have gone through over 50 flavors in my short time vaping and all were at least tolerable except for the 2 I ordered from VV. After steeping and waiting for more than 6 weeks the Maple French Toast still tastes like funky industrial cleaner and the Chocolate like burning rubber tires. I really, really wanted to like them, too.

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Ugh, Miata....I'm bummed to read that. :(
And even more bummed that you tasted the same rubber tire business! What WAS that?
I had read some folks post about this alcohol smell and that, I can live with and if it is alcohol, it will fade. Plastic, rubber melting odors....in something I am inhaling....well, that was unnerving.

And incidentally, Miata, the post you linked is one of the posts I based my order on. :)

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
My only advice is to wait another month and try them again. If you still find them unvape-able, give them away or trade here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-please-read-first-post-rules-guidelines.html

I haven't had your experience, and while I love Precious Pecan Pie and KVM, those are the only two I will regularly purchase. There are some hardcore fans here who would be happy to take them off your hands. :)

Good luck to you--the juice hunt is the hardest one, at least it was for me.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
what type of tanks are you using? It could be a reaction to the tank if you are using a plastic tank
some juices will melt plastic tanks, try a glass or metal tank

how long have you been using your coils? might need to clean them or time for new ones? What type of mod are you using? Some juices taste different at different volts (do you have a variable voltage mod? try different settings)
if you like more throat hit you can try a top coil tank like vivi nova which gives a warmer vape and will lean more towards throat hit, more pg leans towards more throat hit, higher volts lean towards more throat hit, more nic leans to more throat hit

erazzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
New Mexico
I'd say Virgin Vapor isn't for everyone. I'm new to them, got two flavors. Hated Buttercream Mint despite that people rave about it. It's been steeping 2 weeks so maybe I'll give it another go, but it was really bland and I had to vape it really warm to get it to make clouds (don't like warm vapor at all).

They messed up my 2nd bottle, which is okay, they are correcting it. Managed to come across a local store selling their stuff and tried Blackberry Vanilla Swirl. Amazing! Couldn't tell it was VG! And the first blackberry flavor I've ever tried that tasted like blackberry! That inspires me to try a couple more when I get the chance.

However, back to why it might taste weird. They are a true 100% VG and only use natural flavors. No artificial flavors, no PG flavors. Nothing. So they do taste different than something from like Mt Baker Vapor (which does not make a true 100% VG, they say so right on the site, don't get me wrong, I still order from them because I like it). Everyone has different tastes, some people might like it, for others it doesn't stack up to more traditional flavors made with more artificial stuff.

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
@Shadav:

I'm using a Provari with a nanocoil Trident drip for one setup, and a King Mod Clone with igo-W dual micro drip on the other. (I much prefer the latter.) Really haven't messed with the volts on either, though, admittedly.
I have one glass tank here and while I appreciate the convenience for not having to drip constantly, I find the flavors of all juices a bit muted AND the vape is sort of warm. Not into that right now for some reason. (FYI I have not tried any of the Virgin juices in that tank.)

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Funny you mentioned the rubbery, plastic taste. I ordered a bottle of organic cinnamon and this is exactly what it smelled and tasted like. Burnt plastic.

@TRD37803....I am so happy to know that it's not only me.
I just wish I knew what it was so I could ensure that I don't experience the same issues w/ the order from Mt. Baker Vapor!
Thanks for chiming in!

Last edited:

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
However, back to why it might taste weird. They are a true 100% VG and only use natural flavors. No artificial flavors, no PG flavors. Nothing. So they do taste different than something from like Mt Baker Vapor (which does not make a true 100% VG, they say so right on the site, don't get me wrong, I still order from them because I like it). Everyone has different tastes, some people might like it, for others it doesn't stack up to more traditional flavors made with more artificial stuff.

Well, I will keep these for now and try them again much later.
I normally order my favorites from Velvet CLOUD Vapor which only offers 100% VG, too. I think it's the same all-natural stuff, but who knows. The order I listed above is the first time I'll be attempting any PG in my juices. Exciting and scary! :)

Thanks, Erazzz! And I am totally agreeing with subjective tastes. But melted plastic scent is just something I didn't expect. The way you describe the blackberry, however, is tempting, haha. I was thinking it might just be me and the way my senses register these flavors but I'm relieved to know there are some others who also tasted the same melting rubber scent.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Realizing that taste and smell are both really subjective, I was hoping someone here could tell me if they have experienced a similar issue.
I have tried about 50 juices or so, to date, and am always interested in trying more flavors, at least until I come to about 5 that I want to settle on. So far, I have two absolute favorites and two pending. The remainder of the juices I've tried were either "I'll keep for a rainy day" or I gave away instantly because it would never, ever happen.

I've been sticking to 100% VG this time.
And finding that many of the flavors I bought from my favorite vendor at this point were very similar in TH and flavor profile, I decided to do some research to find another good vendor with a bigger selection. I landed on Virgin Vapor and reading around, it seemed like many people like this vendor, so I decided on that.

After about a week, the much awaited juices arrived. Well-packaged and none leaked enroute. Good.

2mcexw7.jpg

I don't expect all of the juices I order to all be excellent. And if I hit 50%, I am satisfied. Heck, if I find one flavor I really like, I am good.
But with this order....I liked exactly 0%. And unlike my other vendors where I simply didn't like the flavor, taste or hit -- all of these bottles had the same issue.
They all had this back-end taste of melting rubber or plastic. I can't even describe it, really. Somewhat gasoline-like but heavy on the tongue and very rubbery and offensive (and overwhelming) taste.

Wait it out. Steep, right?

Now it's been about 18 days since I received them. Since day one after trying all of them once, I have left them opened and airing with a good shake every two days. I didn't steep in hot water, etc. but this was the best I could do. After one week, I tried one and some of the melting plastic flavor was slightly diminished but totally not vapeable for me. Two weeks later, I tasted again and still, not really something I would voluntarily vape. I can't!

I'm willing to chalk it to a loss. As of last night, the bottles are closed again and just hanging out in my growing juice basket where juices go to die, or get picked up by a friend of mine who is less picky (and extremely lucky).

But I did want to order from a different vendor that this forum seems to highly recommend -- Mt. Baker Vapors. I have about 7 flavors selected, including the highly recommended Butterscotch and Moo Juice, etc. but I'm actually a bit scared to place this order.
What I have in my cart right now is as follows, all in 12mg nicotine:

20 PG/80 +1 shot
  • Banana
  • Watermelon
  • Ocean Breeze

Max VG
  • Strawberry Shortcake +1
  • Moo Juice +2
  • Butterscotch +1

70VG + Distilled H20 (just bec I feel like trying it)
  • Mango Tea +1

Keep in mind that I've been on 100% VG but did feel like testing out some PG, because if there is one thing I sort of miss, it's the throat hit, and I read some PG can increase that. (Correct?) Incidentally, I wanted to try Thug Juice but they are out. I'm also unfamiliar with this "added shot" business; I read a few threads on this forum to learn more about it and decided on these + numbers. I'm open to any suggestions on changing PG/VG ratios.

Now, my regular vendor is Velvet Cloud Vapors, which I was lucky to find via a friend of mine. My favorite flavors that I vape are from there. And while I may not like all of their juices, I know they are all vapeable even if I don't LIKE the flavor. With Virgin, I seem to have encountered a 100% failure rate. Even previously from ElixirLiquid.com -- I liked some of their juices, just not all.

By trade, I taste food and critique it for a living. So maybe my palate and sense of smell are overly sensitive -- maybe. :unsure: BUT, I find it hard to believe that mine is such that a flavor 99% of the people seemed to love is downright offensive to me. And given that all of the flavors were that horrid to me, I can't even say it's a bad batch of one flavor.

So I ask you guys this to see if (1) anyone else has experienced this and maybe figured out what the issue was, and (2) if anyone has had a similar experience from Velvet Vapor where I am hoping to place my next order?

I'm not really willing to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner and go through the whole proper steeping method. If needed, I don't mind waiting a week or two to start a juice, if it's really worth it. And as mentioned, I only want 3 more juices I really LOVE to have 5 available at all times.

Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

First, Sorry Grace for your experience with VV. I have never tried them as I make my own Juice now..
I can say without a doubt that my experience tells me anything that Putrid tasting won't develop into anything good no matter how long you steep it.. If Something is that bad to begin with, forget it.
Save the bottles though , They look nice, after you maybe pour it down the drain.. They will come in handy some day..

erazzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
New Mexico
I personally love a good amount of PG in my juice (65PG/35VG or just 50/50), I tried Virgin Vapor to give the 100% VG and go and to get some natural flavor (some of the artificial flavors tastes odd to me in some juices). So far found one I like. It isn't for everyone. If you tried 5 and didn't like it, you might just not like that brand. Some of the top flavors and brands people rave about, I buy, then taste it and think "OMG HOW CAN ANYONE EVER ENJOY THIS? IT TASTES LIKE COUGH SYRUP AND PLASTIC". Different tastes. ;)

Mt Baker Vapor has tons of variety and good prices. Strong flavors (though some need flavor shots). I think you'll like them. =)

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
I ordered from VV a few months ago and the smell was so offensive that it was the first time I didn't have an issue with just letting a new juice sit. I let them sit with the caps off for a little over 24 hours and then shook them up a couple of times a day for a few weeks. I then tried the Organic Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough despite the offensive smell refusing to go away and it was pretty disgusting.

I haven't had the nerve to try them since - I got an organic caramel corn that seems to have lost most of the funky smell, but it is still lingering in the rest of them. I will most likely end up passing them on to a friend and never thinking about ordering from them again. I know a lot of people really like them, but they were terribly offensive to me and my palate.

Pensilac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Utica, NY
I had the same experience with Virgin Vapor unfortunately. I bought their two most popular flavors per the website, kona coffee and kona velvet milkshake, and out of the bottle they both smelled very strongly of alcohol to the point that I didn't really want to both trying them. I decided to try the kona coffee anyway and it was terrible, just tasted like weird chemicals or, as you said, plastic. I tried letting it steep for a day with the cap off and it was not any different. Out of curiosity I let it steep for a couple weeks with the cap off and still the weird taste did not go away. I still have the velvet milkshake months later now and have yet to try it and probably never will.

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
You may* want to reconsider the extra flavor shots from Mt. Baker, at least for your first order. I recently made my first order, four flavors plus a freebee, all of them seem plenty flavorful. YMMV

Aaack, downinTN, I already placed the order! Once I saw that I wasn't the only one with this bizarre plasticky scent with VV products, I felt much confident about placing a new order and pushed send, haha.

Naturally, I think I went way overboard. :unsure:

I've tried a few Virgin Vapor flavors and I didn't really like any of them. I gave them a chance but they all smelled and tasted a little strange. At first I thought it was just that the liquids were 'natural' so they were different than the e-liquids that I was used to but no, they just didn't taste good to me even after a few weeks. I would take any recommendations here or anywhere with a grain of salt. I've tried a lot of the flavors that people go crazy over and end up not liking most of them.

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I personally love a good amount of PG in my juice (65PG/35VG or just 50/50), I tried Virgin Vapor to give the 100% VG and go and to get some natural flavor (some of the artificial flavors tastes odd to me in some juices). So far found one I like.

@Erazzz - I'm just now trying the "some PG" just to see if that's what clicks with the throat hit portion.
My experience on 100% VG with Velvet Cloud Vapor has been excellent. My favorites from there, and the two I exclusively vape, are Strawb Gwab and Peach Tea. Good Lord, those two are good. Summer Sweet comes in third. They have some good ones like Monkey Business (hot cocoa?) that taste great on my mod, but were HORRID on my Provari. I don't know enough to know why, but YMMV. They do claim all-organic, all-natural, all-American. Very clean tasting. But after some 15 flavors from there, I need an additional vendor.

I had the same experience with Virgin Vapor unfortunately. I bought their two most popular flavors per the website, kona coffee and kona velvet milkshake, and out of the bottle they both smelled very strongly of alcohol to the point that I didn't really want to both trying them. I decided to try the kona coffee anyway and it was terrible, just tasted like weird chemicals or, as you said, plastic. I tried letting it steep for a day with the cap off and it was not any different. Out of curiosity I let it steep for a couple weeks with the cap off and still the weird taste did not go away. I still have the velvet milkshake months later now and have yet to try it and probably never will.

@Pensliac, I'm with you!
After writing this post, I actually reopened all of the VV bottles and took a sniff. The Kona Velvet, Plum and Original Sin are, at best, vapeable -- IF the world were ending and I was completely out of e-juice AND cigarettes were not being sold anymore, haha. (OK, I did smoke the Plum and that was acceptable....) The Velvet Milkshake one....while the plastic scent was lesser, it doesn't smell at all tempting to drip at this time. Like a coffee-ish with sour cream?
Perhaps I should open them all back up, seeing as how they show SOME improvement, albeit very little.

I haven't had the nerve to try them since - I got an organic caramel corn that seems to have lost most of the funky smell, but it is still lingering in the rest of them. I will most likely end up passing them on to a friend and never thinking about ordering from them again. I know a lot of people really like them, but they were terribly offensive to me and my palate.

Josie, me too. After a significant investment into trying something new, I'm unnerved enough to register on this forum and post this thread before buying because I started to doubt my own palate. Haha. I reread some old threads re: these exact flavors, and am still stunned....

First, Sorry Grace for your experience with VV. I have never tried them as I make my own Juice now..
I can say without a doubt that my experience tells me anything that Putrid tasting won't develop into anything good no matter how long you steep it.. If Something is that bad to begin with, forget it.
Save the bottles though , They look nice, after you maybe pour it down the drain.. They will come in handy some day..

Hahaha! Doots, I will attempt to save the bottles, so long as I can actually get the stench out. I'll keep these and see what happens to them in a month or two. If after 3 months they are not doable, then I'll toss them. If any juice requires longer storage than that, there's almost no taste that would be worth that to me. Heck, 3 weeks is already 2 weeks too long!

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
what type of tanks are you using? It could be a reaction to the tank if you are using a plastic tank
some juices will melt plastic tanks, try a glass or metal tank

how long have you been using your coils? might need to clean them or time for new ones? What type of mod are you using? Some juices taste different at different volts (do you have a variable voltage mod? try different settings)
if you like more throat hit you can try a top coil tank like vivi nova which gives a warmer vape and will lean more towards throat hit, more pg leans towards more throat hit, higher volts lean towards more throat hit, more nic leans to more throat hit

I can only speak for me but I tried the VV flavors using my T3Ss, KFL+, and a couple of high end RDA's. It s not my devices and I routinely replace cotton/silica and refire my coils. The flavors even smelled bad in the bottles.

GraceK

Feb 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I can only speak for me but I tried the VV flavors using my T3Ss, KFL+, and a couple of high end RDA's. It s not my devices and I routinely replace cotton/silica and refire my coils. The flavors even smelled bad in the bottles.

Me, too, Miata. Especially when tasting, I will remove the used cotton wick, retire then rewick for each flavor just to make sure I'm getting only that one juice.
Incidentally, am I missing anything noteworthy by not using silica wicks? I've never used one; learned organic cotton from a friend and have stuck to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread