Just couldn't take it anymore.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramaview

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2014
Bedford Falls, Texas
.......broke down and bought a Reo Grand off the classeys. Read about them on every forum I visit. Decided to take the plunge. Question: The recommended batteries for a Grand are 18650 3.7V 1600mAh. I have Pana 18650 NCR18650PF 3.7V 2900mAh, button tops. Can I use those? Or is there a problem? Just killin' time before the vapemail, I guess.

Anyway, looking forward to vaping a whole 'nuther way! :D

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Congrats, Ramaview, and welcome to the 'Ville :toast:

The grand will handle most any 18650 bat, but there are a couple of things to consider:

* if you have the older bat spring and firing pin (they're silver, the newer ones are gold), you prolly want to stick with button tops. There is a chance that you could get arc'ing to the bat. This can be alleviated with noalox on the battery and firing pin.

* you want a battery that's safe for the way you vape, specifically, that it is rated for the draw (amps) that you need. This is a function of the coil(s) that you run on the unit. Basically, divide 4 by the ohms of your coil to determine the needed amp rating (plus add some head room just for added safety). E.g., a 1.0 ohm coil will result in a ~4 amp draw (4 / 1.0), a .5 ohm coil will result in 8 amps, and so forth. Add the headroom, and you you're looking at needing, say, 6 amp bats for the first example, and 10+ amp bats for the second.

So, for these (and other) reasons, most folks like the AW 1600 mah bats and the Sony VTC5's (the latter being flat top, however).

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Those batteries have a 10A continuous discharge rating. Stay above .5Ω builds and you should be fine.

However:

I haven't used those batteries, but I know Orbtronics re-wraps that specific battery model as their own as well. They are a bit taller than other 18650 batteries, and I think I remember some people claiming that it squishes the spring in the Reo down a tad too much, like to the point if the spring had to collapse their would still be contact. I can't confirm this myself, I just remember reading such. (I think mammatried?)

Ramaview

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2014
Bedford Falls, Texas
Congrats, Ramaview, and welcome to the 'Ville :toast:

The grand will handle most any 18650 bat, but there are a couple of things to consider:

* if you have the older bat spring and firing pin (they're silver, the newer ones are gold), you prolly want to stick with button tops. There is a chance that you could get arc'ing to the bat. This can be alleviated with noalox on the battery and firing pin.

Thanks. Will get some

* you want a battery that's safe for the way you vape, specifically, that it is rated for the draw (amps) that you need. This is a function of the coil(s) that you run on the unit. Basically, divide 4 by the ohms of your coil to determine the needed amp rating (plus add some head room just for added safety). E.g., a 1.0 ohm coil will result in a ~4 amp draw (4 / 1.0), a .5 ohm coil will result in 8 amps, and so forth. Add the headroom, and you you're looking at needing, say, 6 amp bats for the first example, and 10+ amp bats for the second.

So, for these (and other) reasons, most folks like the AW 1600 mah bats and the Sony VTC5's (the latter being flat top, however).

Thanks. Might as well get the batteries that are recommended.

Ramaview

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2014
Bedford Falls, Texas
Those batteries have a 10A continuous discharge rating. Stay above .5Ω builds and you should be fine.

However:

I haven't used those batteries, but I know Orbtronics re-wraps that specific battery model as their own as well. They are a bit taller than other 18650 batteries, and I think I remember some people claiming that it squishes the spring in the Reo down a tad too much, like to the point if the spring had to collapse their would still be contact. I can't confirm this myself, I just remember reading such. (I think mammatried?)

Thanks I'll try your suggestion.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
congratswave.gif
to you Ramaview and welcome. Look forward to reading about your first reaction to the reo, but the again........ I've always been a sucker for love stories. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread