just dry burned and cleaned 20 coils but ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
ok so I have soaked my "old" coils and dry burned them...the original flavor wicks were burnt and I replaced them with some sterile cotton spun into threads. We shall see how they work as I try to use them but I was wondering if I can purchase flavor wicks anywhere. And how do I keep from burning them to start with.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
ok so I have soaked my "old" coils and dry burned them...the original flavor wicks were burnt and I replaced them with some sterile cotton spun into threads. We shall see how they work as I try to use them but I was wondering if I can purchase flavor wicks anywhere. And how do I keep from burning them to start with.

most people just buy wick then cut to size for flavor wick
- Fiberglass wick for CE4 clearomizers

keeping wick wet and not over heating prevents burning

hope that was what you were asking... :)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
Thanks guys that answered my questions pretty well. The wicks sure looked burnt. I will buy some silica for next time...and yes I did see the warning to let them sit for awhile so as not to burn the cotton :)

Who knows I may feel comfortable enough to recoil the heads next time:vapor:

update...so far so good popped 3 of the coils into my tanks...no leaking or problems...knock on wood

Last edited:

AprilRain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2009
Oklahoma City
Ohhh, you're talking about the flavor wicks. OK, I was talking about the wick inside the coil. Yes, you're supposed to take the flavor wicks off when you do a dry burn. I just keep using the same ones until they get nasty enough to effect the flavor, then I do replace them with a bit of twisted/trimmed cotton from a cotton ball. I suppose you could buy some silica wick to use if you want to. The cotton works fine for me. :)

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
You can take a torch to your flavor wicks and burn them until they glow. That will clean them right off.

Also, I just rewick my protank heads with white peaches and cream brand yarn from walmart. I leave tails on the wick, long enough to wrap around the bottom dish area, almost to the other side. No need for flavor wicks, and more surface for the liquid to catch and wick to the coil.

Last edited:

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I just rewick my protank heads with white peaches and cream brand yarn from walmart. I leave tails on the wick, long enough to wrap around the bottom dish area, almost to the other side. No need for flavor wicks, and more surface for the liquid to catch and wick to the coil.
Rewick or rewick and recoil? I can't imagine getting the original silica wick out without mangling the coil, but then, I haven't tried it...

Whiplash205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Cleveland, Ga, USA
Once you start wrapping your own coils you won't go back to stock heads. Better performance and flavor IMO. I just pull the old wicks every 2-3 tanks depending on the juice, dry burn the coils then slide a new cotton wick in. Once you get the hang of it its about 3 minutes work tops.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread