Just found out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustydragon

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2010
North Canton, Ohio, United States
Thank you all for the support I thought I would be ok but it's really hard to take my dad is and was a horse trainer he has always been strong and I don't know how to deal with all this...here's a pic of dear old Dad ....
a78n.jpg
[/IMG]

critterbug

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2009
Herein, VA
Hey Dusty,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis. It is really scary, but as you pointed out, horses somehow add this whole extra layer of depth to the strength of their people. That's a great photo - thanks for sharing. Your dad looks very cool. Like someone I'd like to know!

Remember that Stage 3 lung cancer has a wide range of responses. He can realistically beat this. My grandfather's lung cancer was Stage 4 and they expected him to live less than a year after his diagnosis and he lived 7 and a half years after that!

My mum was a horseperson and was diagnosed with cervical cancer long after it had metastasized. They were obviously surprised she was even still alive when she finally went to the doctor about it (the downside of teeth gritting toughness - no early medical vigilance). That was 6 years ago and she lived 10 months after that, but her prognosis at that stage was much more bleak than your dad's stage of lung cancer. Nonetheless, losing my mum was (and continues to be) the hardest experience of my life. And there's just nothing comforting to say about it. Cancer absolutely effing sucks. And watching someone you love more than anyone - someone as close to you as anyone can be - watching them age 30 years in a matter of months is just hard. And nauseatingly surreal. Those don't sound like positive stories, but they are stories of 2 people close to me who have, while not been cured, been diagnosed with more advanced cancers than your father, and outlasted the statistics. Plenty of folks make it through the treatments just fine and bounce right back and before they know it, they've been in remission for years.

I hope you are both staying positive. Your dad looks like a Fine Soul and I'm pulling for him.

critter

Last edited:

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
I am so sorry man. It's easy for folks to talk about cigarettes and the reprecussions and to throw statistics out there but nothing is worse than the possibility of losing someone you love. When you put a face to that statistic it's a different scenerio altogether. I am very sad to hear this news, as I am typing I can't hold back tears forming (I have to pull it together though, my son is wondering why daddy is so sad. I tell him because good people are sick, and it shouldn't happen. He doesn't quite understand completely because he's 3 but he wanted me to tell you for your father to take some medicine to feel better).

How many people have to suffer. It's our choice to smoke but this is all wrong. Somewhere down the line someone made some choices for monetary gain. Those choices spead into more choices and eventually everyone who smokes is no longer enjoying tobacco but pure death. And the FDA wants to ban an alternative to this? An alternative to suffering. I am so sorry Dusty, my words are no consolation but I just wanted to let you know, in honor of your father, in honor of everyone who have ever suffered I personally will take a stand and make my personal vow to never support those b@st@rds and their death profiting EVER again.

Beez

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Dusty, I know you must be really scared and kind of numb at the same time. But if there is one thing that my 50 years has taught me it is that you cannot predict the future. Since it is impossible to do that, it is easy to predict the worst but perhaps instead the outcome will be the best possible and he has many years left to enjoy life. You are lucky to have him and he is lucky to have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread