Just got a Reo Mini 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewuvswaffles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Philadelphia
Just snagged this beautiful black wrinkle Reo Mini 2.1 w/ a silver vein door along with a bunch of goodies to get me started.

zufn.jpg

I'm going to order an RM2 to top it all off, but while I was on the site, I was wondering what you guys thought about the Delrin button cover?

Does it really make using a Reo that much easier? The aesthetics of it are fine, I'm more concerned that it only subtly improves something that is already fine as is.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Beautiful REO...and you're going to LOVE the RM2 when you get one. The delrin cover.....meh....they're cool, but certainly not essential. It's a toss up. I like mine, but I have one Mini without one, and it doesn't bother me at all. It's not just for looks...it does make the button comfortable, and I think there are some Reonauts who have arthritis and such who really like them, so....whatever.

But....you HAVE to get an RM2...it will definitely kick the REO vaping experience up a notch. You will love it...no kidding.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Welcome, davewuvswaffles :)
That's a rather subjective thing...I personally can live without the button covers...but that is because the original button doesn't bother me at all. But everyone is different. Some people have more sensitive pads on their fingers or thumbs and the hard edge on the original button hurts them. Currently, the Grand I'm using has one on it and it's nice. If I were buying a Reo for the first time, I would add the button cover. If you end up not liking it, just save it for that day when you injure your finger or thumb and it becomes uncomfortable to press the original button. :)

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Congrats, another fine looking Reo! Most people like the Grand but I love my Mini 2.1 just as much!

The delrin button covers, they do make firing feel easier. Some say with the covers it's very easy to rotate the switch into the locked position & can happen unwillingly. I did experience that once but after I retensioned the firing pin I never had that problem again.

I used to use the button covers....up until a few weeks ago when I let an old friend try out my Grand with a delrin cover. The button rotated into the lock position when he grabbed it, went to fire it, & mashed on the button. The button got pushed all the way down to the top of the body while in the locked position.

I had to go to the truck & use a razor blade to pry it back up. I never ever had a problem like that when I used them. So just keep that in mind if you ever let someone try your Reo, make sure it's not in the locked position, & advise them not to press really hard. From that moment on I removed the button cover & never used them again.

I made a couple of brass button covers with that in mind. Never did mention it to the lucky two that got those buttons but I machined a shallower hole so the buttons can't be mashed down too far causing the button to be inoperable. If anyone does have that issue, the same can be achieved by installing an appropriate washer or shim in the hole (you'll have to do some measuring though to find out what's ideal).

I only liked to use the button cover on the Grand. on my Mini 2.1 I modified the stock button with a chamfer on top. Since that incident with the button cover, now all my Reos sport the modified buttons. Just my preference now but the delrin button covers are great.

Last edited:

aarhus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
The delrin button covers, they do make firing feel easier. Some say with the covers it's very easy to rotate the switch into the locked position & can happen unwillingly. I did experience that once but after I retensioned the firing pin I never had that problem again.

I actually like this aspect of the button cover. It enables me to lock/unlock onehanded which after a while becomes second nature :)

davewuvswaffles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Philadelphia
Thanks everyone, I've got a feeling I'm going to like it around these parts.

I went ahead and ordered an RM2, an extra spring, and a button cover. Might as well see what I like now before I buy another 3 Reos :p.

Edit: I should say though, the second I pulled the trigger on this Mini, I became extremely regretful... about the other mods and atties I've bought in the last week.

Last edited:

debzcf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
At the shore...
Just snagged this beautiful black wrinkle Reo Mini 2.1 w/ a silver vein door along with a bunch of goodies to get me started. I'm going to order an RM2 to top it all off, but while I was on the site, I was wondering what you guys thought about the Delrin button cover? Does it really make using a Reo that much easier? The aesthetics of it are fine, I'm more concerned that it only subtly improves something that is already fine as is.

I have button covers on all my REOs. I much prefer them to the teeny on/off button. They cost practically nothing -- order one. If you don't like it, you can always pop it off.

davewuvswaffles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Philadelphia
Oh and a quick question: how would I go about getting a replacement door?

I originally wanted an orange/black combo, and was thinking I could still achieve that with an orange door. Is there a preferred place to contact Mr. O'Neil?

I'd probably get it engraved with the Flyers logo to really make it mine :).

debzcf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
At the shore...
Wow, this sub-forum and REO himself are just as awesome as everyone has said!

Words cannot even begin to describe how happy I'm feeling about this, I might have already caught the Reo bug... uh oh

Truthfully, you won't find a nicer group. Welcome to your new home. :)

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
Wow, this sub-forum and REO himself are just as awesome as everyone has said!

Words cannot even begin to describe how happy I'm feeling about this, I might have already caught the Reo bug... uh oh

We weave a wide and sticky web. Once you're caught up in it, there's no escape. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread